Kasulia

K1 additional vaccinations after medical examination for AOS

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

I was missing few vaccinations during medical exam for K-1 visa. Doctors adviced me to get missing vaccinations done in UK, before I leave the country. This is so I don't need to pay for doctors in US. I got all done with my surgeon in UK and have proofs with me.

Now preparing docs for AOS. After reading the medical form I-693 requirements, I got confused if I need to see civil surgeon again? Or is it enough to send copies as an attachment with my application?

*~*~*moved from "K-1 visa process and procedures" to "AOS from K visas" as OP is now in the US and preparing for AOS*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

5 minutes ago, Kasulia said:

Hi guys,

I was missing few vaccinations during medical exam for K-1 visa. Doctors adviced me to get missing vaccinations done in UK, before I leave the country. This is so I don't need to pay for doctors in US. I got all done with my surgeon in UK and have proofs with me.

Now preparing docs for AOS. After reading the medical form I-693 requirements, I got confused if I need to see civil surgeon again? Or is it enough to send copies as an attachment with my application?

As soon as you stepped on the US soil, your medical exam becomes valid for 1 year. No need for you to visit a civil surgeon. As long as your medical exam is still valid, you're fine.

I had my medical in January 7, 2017 and submitted my AOS application in April 13, I am now done with the whole thing and I only needed to include my vaccination sheet in my AOS packet. I didn't have to visit any CS for any medical exam or additional vaccination. Just make sure that the box at the bottom is marked as COMPLETE. 

Best of luck!

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TheSkywalkers said:

As soon as you stepped on the US soil, your medical exam becomes valid for 1 year. No need for you to visit a civil surgeon. As long as your medical exam is still valid, you're fine.

I had my medical in January 7, 2017 and submitted my AOS application in April 13, I am now done with the whole thing and I only needed to include my vaccination sheet in my AOS packet. I didn't have to visit any CS for any medical exam or additional vaccination. Just make sure that the box at the bottom is marked as COMPLETE. 

Best of luck!

my vaccination sheet is not marked as complete as I was missing few vaccinations. I did it later in UK with my GP. I have all the proofs but the copies are from UK doctor and not US CS.

The remarks on my UK medical examinations states: K1 Visa - applicant has chosen to defer vaccinations at this time. They have been advised what vaccinations they will require in the future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
15 hours ago, Kasulia said:

Hi guys,

You did not get all your vaccinations included on the official form DS-3025 at Knightsbridge so it won't do you any good for AOS. You need ALL your require vaccinations on one US government form which now will be the I-693 completed by a civil surgeon. 

You may take your DS-3025 and your new GP vaccinations to a civil surgeon and he will combine them to provide a complete report on one form.  USCIS will not accept noted shots from your GP, but a civil surgeon will.

Note: don't let the Civil Surgeon say you need the full medical again. Establish that they will only do your immunisations and ask the price before making the appointment. 

Knightsbridge advised you poorly. Better advice would have been: 

Go get your shots at your GP if you want to save money. We will hold your medical forms until your GP faxes us proof of the shots. Then we will complete your immunisation form and send your medical report to the embassy. We will email you a copy of your DS-3025 showing ALL shots which can be used for AOS.

Saving money on shots isn't worth it if the Civil Surgeon you call wants $250 to do the full medical and shot record or he won't help you. 

Edited by Wuozopo

I agree with all of the above. A new medical is not required. That said, many times a CS will not complete/sign the paperwork without doing a full medical as well. You need to either find one that will do so without a medical, or do the medical. It's unfortunate, but many CS don't know the requirements for a K-1 entrant going through AOS and don't spend the time to find it out.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
17 hours ago, Aviinashh M said:

The final vaccinations sheet should look like this.......You will still have to find a local USCIS Civil Surgeon and make him fill the I-693. Take all the proofs of your vaccinations from other doctor as well as you medical exam done for K-1 interview which is the DS-3025 and all they will do is transfer details onto I-693. There are a lot of doctors who will take lot of money but you will find a USCIS who will take as low as $35 or $40 to prepare the I-693. Check the VJ forum where you can find a USCIS doctor for low price in the state you reside. Note: You DO NOT need another physical exam.

Thank you!!!!!!

rsz_2fullsizerender_1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Kasulia said:

You are welcome :) all the best

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 9/5/2017 at 12:09 PM, geowrian said:

I agree with all of the above. A new medical is not required. That said, many times a CS will not complete/sign the paperwork without doing a full medical as well. You need to either find one that will do so without a medical, or do the medical. It's unfortunate, but many CS don't know the requirements for a K-1 entrant going through AOS and don't spend the time to find it out.

Just wanted to ask again, my husband has his DS-3025 which the box checked on the bottom states "K1 applicant voluntarily completed vaccination requirements"  On the form under the MMR vaccine it has a blanket waiver "D" which is vaccine not readily available. Does he need to get this vaccine for AOS or should we just include the DS-3025 as is with our application? I was just confused because K1 vaccination requirements are different that GC requirements. And I did find a CS that will transcribe albeit we will have to travel an hour to get it done but he will do it for $25 and not require a whole new medical.  

Edited by Jenny17655

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jenny17655 said:

Just wanted to ask again, my husband has his DS-3025 which the box checked on the bottom states "K1 applicant voluntarily completed vaccination requirements"  On the form under the MMR vaccine it has a blanket waiver "D" which is vaccine not readily available. Does he need to get this vaccine for AOS or should we just include the DS-3025 as is with our application? I was just confused because K1 vaccination requirements are different that GC requirements. And I did find a CS that will transcribe albeit we will have to travel an hour to get it done but he will do it for $25 and not require a whole new medical.  

" I was just confused because K1 vaccination requirements are different that GC requirements."

There are no requirements for a K1. You could get the K1 visa with zero shots. That statement means you voluntarily completed the immigration vaccination requirements. In your case, the AOS requirements.

i would go with what you have. You may get to the interview and are told your medical needs a re-do because it's too old. You may be told to get an MMR in the states where they are readily available. No point in driving an hour and spending money until you know exactly what your officer is going to say. Then get it all done at once. They really vary from office to office in how they interpret things. 

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Hi All,

Sorry am picking up on this thread after a few years from the last post (it's the most relevant thread I could find to my situation)....

I currently have an incomplete DS-3025  and am here in the US trying to compile my AOS package. I do not need a new medical exam (I am a K-1 visa holder and it has not been a year since my last medical that I had for my K-1 visa), however, I am struggling to find a US civil surgeon who will provide me with a complete DS-3025 (I have proof of the two outstanding vaccinations having now been administered - MMR and flu shot) or will complete only the sections of the i-163 required for a K-1 to submit AOS.

@Kasulia. My situation seems similar to yours, I am wondering how you resolved your situation?

Any help super appreciated!!

Graham

Timeline
1 hour ago, GRASGM said:

. I do not need a new medical exam (I am a K-1 visa holder and it has not been a year since my last medical that I had for my K-1 visa),

That is correct

1 hour ago, GRASGM said:

however, I am struggling to find a US civil surgeon who will provide me with a complete DS-3025

US civil surgeons do not do DS-3025. That is part of the visa medical package done abroad by “panel physicians“: Civil surgeons use form I-693 to report medical results and vaccination compliance. Yes it is difficult to find a civil surgeon to complete just the vaccination portion of the I-693. Many insist on the full medical exam. I was helping somebody I felt sorry for who spoke little English so called around LA area trying to find her a civil surgeon. I know all the information well and am not afraid to argue. I called at least a dozen clinics and got nowhere. They didn’t want to listen so I do understand your frustration. Unfortunately, you will need an I-693 showing your immunisations. 

So tell me, you had no MMRs at all recorded on your visa medical form DS-3025? Usually it is the Tetanus/Diphtheria that was not given in the last 10 years that most need.  You no longer need a flu shot because flu season ended 31-Mar. The civil surgeon will waive it as “not flu season”.  

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

That is correct

US civil surgeons do not do DS-3025. That is part of the visa medical package done abroad by “panel physicians“: Civil surgeons use form I-693 to report medical results and vaccination compliance. Yes it is difficult to find a civil surgeon to complete just the vaccination portion of the I-693. Many insist on the full medical exam. I was helping somebody I felt sorry for who spoke little English so called around LA area trying to find her a civil surgeon. I know all the information well and am not afraid to argue. I called at least a dozen clinics and got nowhere. They didn’t want to listen so I do understand your frustration. Unfortunately, you will need an I-693 showing your immunisations. 

So tell me, you had no MMRs at all recorded on your visa medical form DS-3025? Usually it is the Tetanus/Diphtheria that was not given in the last 10 years that most need.  You no longer need a flu shot because flu season ended 31-Mar. The civil surgeon will waive it as “not flu season”.  

Thank you so much for your reply. I am actually in the LA area too.

My DS-3025 says I have had the TD shot, recorded and dated in 2015. I had two MMR vaccines in the UK, I just did not have the proof of these when I attended my visa medical. I now have to hand the vaccination record (although only for the first shot, annoyingly I cannot retrieve the second shot although I know I had it.)  I have been emailing with Visa Medicals in Knightsbridge who advise to just submit the DS-3025 I have together with copies of these vaccination records. I'm skeptical that this will be accepted and think I will need a CS here to do me a complete i-693 (Parts 1. - 5., 7., and 10.) Have managed to speak to one CS office this morning that said they will check the i-693 where it gives these instructions for K-1 visa holders.

What do you think?

Timeline
Just now, GRASGM said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I am actually in the LA area too.

My DS-3025 says I have had the TD shot, recorded and dated in 2015. I had two MMR vaccines in the UK, I just did not have the proof of these when I attended my visa medical. I now have to hand the vaccination record (although only for the first shot, annoyingly I cannot retrieve the second shot although I know I had it.)  I have been emailing with Visa Medicals in Knightsbridge who advise to just submit the DS-3025 I have together with copies of these vaccination records. I'm skeptical that this will be accepted and think I will need a CS here to do me a complete i-693 (Parts 1. - 5., 7., and 10.) Have managed to speak to one CS office this morning that said they will check the i-693 where it gives these instructions for K-1 visa holders.

What do you think?

I wonder, if the CS will not complete my vaccination record without evidence fo the second MMR vaccine, I could take a serologic test for immunity. This would prove I have had a complete set of vaccines. Chances are it's probably cheaper in dollars to just get another MMR shot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.