Flavia

Are certain states more lenient when it comes to taking the civics test?

16 posts in this topic

My mom knows of at least a couple of naturalized (now) citizens whose command of English is very poor. The common denominator is that both of them live in immigrant-heavy cities (NY, I believe).

How in the world did they pass the test? Could it be that certain USCIS offices are more lenient than those in, let's say, Alabama? Just curious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The English portion of the test isn't that difficult...basically you read one sentence, and then you write one sentence dictated to you---spelling doesn't count, either.  Basic English-speaking skills is what an applicant needs to have at the very least.

In terms of the civics test, it's all about memorization for the most part---very rarely does the IO ask for further clarification or explanations outside of receiving the basic answer to the civics questions asked.

During the interview, from the moment it starts, the IO is testing the applicant's basic English communication skills---simply by perhaps questioning them on the weather outside, or how they got to the interview that morning.  

It's possible some officers may be more lenient than others---the interview is all subjective depending upon the officer you get that day, how stringent they want to be, etc.  I don't believe it would be the norm for them to be lenient depending on what area they are located in, however.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

34 minutes ago, Going through said:

The English portion of the test isn't that difficult...basically you read one sentence, and then you write one sentence dictated to you---spelling doesn't count, either.  Basic English-speaking skills is what an applicant needs to have at the very least.

In terms of the civics test, it's all about memorization for the most part---very rarely does the IO ask for further clarification or explanations outside of receiving the basic answer to the civics questions asked.

During the interview, from the moment it starts, the IO is testing the applicant's basic English communication skills---simply by perhaps questioning them on the weather outside, or how they got to the interview that morning.  

It's possible some officers may be more lenient than others---the interview is all subjective depending upon the officer you get that day, how stringent they want to be, etc.  I don't believe it would be the norm for them to be lenient depending on what area they are located in, however.

The bolded part... For real? Cool! I hate tests and not that I am at the N-400 stage yet. LOL. But I have started working on the civics test just to familiarize myself with the questions :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Also bear in mind that certain residents are not required to take the English test (known as the 50/20 and 55/15 rules). Some can also take the civics test in their native language. 

I am already working through the civics flash cards with my husband. We do a few questions each day. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
29 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

The bolded part... For real? Cool! I hate tests and not that I am at the N-400 stage yet. LOL. But I have started working on the civics test just to familiarize myself with the questions :)

Yep...read a sentence, write a sentence.  For the civics test, you have to answer at least 6 questions out of a possible 10 questions correctly.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Timeline
37 minutes ago, JFH said:

Also bear in mind that certain residents are not required to take the English test (known as the 50/20 and 55/15 rules). Some can also take the civics test in their native language. 

I am already working through the civics flash cards with my husband. We do a few questions each day. 

Cool that you are preparing early!  I have my interview next month, and started using an online quiz tool that goes through all 100 questions in random order each time I start it up...so far it's been a good tool for me---hopefully I'll know it like the back of my hand, soon!

USCIS has an official app for the civics test practice https://my.uscis.gov/prep/test/civics  :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

3 hours ago, Going through said:

Cool that you are preparing early!  I have my interview next month, and started using an online quiz tool that goes through all 100 questions in random order each time I start it up...so far it's been a good tool for me---hopefully I'll know it like the back of my hand, soon!

Where did you find the online quiz tool?

Timeline

you can also listen to the you tube , 

or test your self here http://civicsquestions.com/

and here https://my.uscis.gov/prep/test/civics

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Diane and Chris said:

Where did you find the online quiz tool?

I found it here on VJ in a sticky post...a member had created their own online tool to study.  A couple of the questions are outdated (like the name of the President, Vice President) since it was developed years ago---but I love how it shuffles the questions each time.  Click on "ask a question" to start it when you open the tool.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I got my citizenship last year in South Florida (mostly spanish speaking people) so finding people with poor (english) communication skills is extremely common. 

My interview lasted probably more than 90 minutes (no kidding)... the lady who was performing the interview went through the ENTIRE application, and made me questions about my husband's job, our relationship, my job, my husband's previous marriage, my family, about my graduate studies...she truly made me talk, she had a question for every question on that application. The civic test was only 6 questions (of course, once you pass 6 questions you automatically passed the test) and the written portion lasted probably 5 minutes (no kidding).

I went to a bilingual school and college so I spoke english way before moving here so I felt good during the process, but I do see it can be a challenge for someone who is not fully bilingual. I do know also, that people over 55 years old...english is not a requirement.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Andrea&Henry said:

I got my citizenship last year in South Florida (mostly spanish speaking people) so finding people with poor (english) communication skills is extremely common. 

My interview lasted probably more than 90 minutes (no kidding)... the lady who was performing the interview went through the ENTIRE application, and made me questions about my husband's job, our relationship, my job, my husband's previous marriage, my family, about my graduate studies...she truly made me talk, she had a question for every question on that application. The civic test was only 6 questions (of course, once you pass 6 questions you automatically passed the test) and the written portion lasted probably 5 minutes (no kidding).

I went to a bilingual school and college so I spoke english way before moving here so I felt good during the process, but I do see it can be a challenge for someone who is not fully bilingual. I do know also, that people over 55 years old...english is not a requirement.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of VJrs. I applied for citizenship in last March and probably won't have the interview until end of the year. Interviews / tests always make me nervous but I'm already studying the questions to me prepared when the day comes. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Sunnyland said:

Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of VJrs. I applied for citizenship in last March and probably won't have the interview until end of the year. Interviews / tests always make me nervous but I'm already studying the questions to me prepared when the day comes. 

Hi!!! your welcome!

Florida process is not that long. You are probably applying through the USCIS located in Oakland Park. I applied through Hialeah and it took me 3 months from the moment I sent the application to the day I had my ceremony. I met another person from the Oakland Park office and it took him pretty much the same amount of time. Well, maybe because last year was election year....but I would definitely check the processing time for your local office. If the processing time is shorter than the time you have been waiting, you can call and let them know to check your case.

The interview itself was great because it was more like a conversation (not even a job interview), the lady was extremely nice and she didn't make me feel like she was trying to find anything suspicious within my application...I think she did on purpose to test my english skills. At some point, I forgot why I was there. She asked me to see pictures of my son like a friend would do, I showed her pictures even of our dog hahahahahahahaha!!! she was super nice. The test was super quick!! like super quick (3-4 minutes) and then she made me read a sentence (something like Lincoln was a president of the United States) and the wrote it down (2 more minutes). Then she proceed to tell me I was approved and that I will received an invitation for my ceremony.

My immigration process was base on marriage so of course she had a lot of question about me and my husband...so once I was done she told me I could leave and that's what I did...I  didn't realized that she followed me outside her office to the waiting room where my husband was waiting for me (they let you bring company but they cannot come in with you) and I was literally crying and I ran to his arm and kissed him...sure enough she followed me to see me with my husband and then I heard "omgggg you are the cutest couple ever! good to find genuine marriages"...she even approached to us to meet my husband and told him I did amazingly well!. Then we shook hands and left.

That was on thursday....on friday I got a text saying my oath ceremony has been scheduled (I set my USCIS account to sent me text notifications) but it didn't say when. On monday I got the letter saying it was scheduled for that same week on friday. I can't tell you how amazing it was and how quick and well organized it was. The whole preparation to get in was like 45 minutes, but the ceremony itself lasted like 20-30 minutes. We cried, laugh, cried more...that day around 200-300 people were there with me. It was extremely emotional :) no doubt one of the best days of my life!! They allowed up to 4 companions so I took my husband and my mom. I was happy and relief that 5 years of immigration process from my k1 visa, was finally over!! 

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline
21 hours ago, Flavia said:

My mom knows of at least a couple of naturalized (now) citizens whose command of English is very poor. The common denominator is that both of them live in immigrant-heavy cities (NY, I believe).

How in the world did they pass the test? Could it be that certain USCIS offices are more lenient than those in, let's say, Alabama? Just curious.

Yea it really depends on the officer...

I remember when I took the civics test... the officer only asked me one question... " who is the current president of the united states"

and that was it... I was in there for like 3 or 4 minutes.

...to think all the hours I wasted listening to the civics questions CD !!

07/06/2017 : I-129F Package Sent ♥

07/08/2017 : I-129F Package Delivered to The USCIS Dallas, TX Lockbox

07/10/2017 : ♥ NOA1 (Received Date) & Case Routed To CSC For Processing ♥

07/12/2017 : NOA1 (Notice Date) & USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Text/e-Mail

07/13/2017 : Check Cashed Out

07/18/2017 : NOA1 Hardcopy Received

07/19/2017 : Dead Silence Begins

09/20/2017 : Dead Silence Continues...

# 1218 in the queue on VJ

♥--------- DAY 72 ---------♥

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Andrea&Henry said:

Hi!!! your welcome!

Florida process is not that long. You are probably applying through the USCIS located in Oakland Park. I applied through Hialeah and it took me 3 months from the moment I sent the application to the day I had my ceremony. I met another person from the Oakland Park office and it took him pretty much the same amount of time. Well, maybe because last year was election year....but I would definitely check the processing time for your local office. If the processing time is shorter than the time you have been waiting, you can call and let them know to check your case.

The interview itself was great because it was more like a conversation (not even a job interview), the lady was extremely nice and she didn't make me feel like she was trying to find anything suspicious within my application...I think she did on purpose to test my english skills. At some point, I forgot why I was there. She asked me to see pictures of my son like a friend would do, I showed her pictures even of our dog hahahahahahahaha!!! she was super nice. The test was super quick!! like super quick (3-4 minutes) and then she made me read a sentence (something like Lincoln was a president of the United States) and the wrote it down (2 more minutes). Then she proceed to tell me I was approved and that I will received an invitation for my ceremony.

My immigration process was base on marriage so of course she had a lot of question about me and my husband...so once I was done she told me I could leave and that's what I did...I  didn't realized that she followed me outside her office to the waiting room where my husband was waiting for me (they let you bring company but they cannot come in with you) and I was literally crying and I ran to his arm and kissed him...sure enough she followed me to see me with my husband and then I heard "omgggg you are the cutest couple ever! good to find genuine marriages"...she even approached to us to meet my husband and told him I did amazingly well!. Then we shook hands and left.

That was on thursday....on friday I got a text saying my oath ceremony has been scheduled (I set my USCIS account to sent me text notifications) but it didn't say when. On monday I got the letter saying it was scheduled for that same week on friday. I can't tell you how amazing it was and how quick and well organized it was. The whole preparation to get in was like 45 minutes, but the ceremony itself lasted like 20-30 minutes. We cried, laugh, cried more...that day around 200-300 people were there with me. It was extremely emotional :) no doubt one of the best days of my life!! They allowed up to 4 companions so I took my husband and my mom. I was happy and relief that 5 years of immigration process from my k1 visa, was finally over!! 

Just checked my local uscis office and it seems they are processing cases as of date July 24, 2016! Anyways I doubt they even touched my case in Texas.I will be for a long wait again. Hope to hear some news soon.  When I check my case status on uscis site all I get is that my case is in line for an interview since April 17.  

13 minutes ago, ME & Æ said:

Yea it really depends on the officer...

I remember when I took the civics test... the officer only asked me one question... " who is the current president of the united states"

and that was it... I was in there for like 3 or 4 minutes.

...to think all the hours I wasted listening to the civics questions CD !!

Just that one question?! I guess they were in a rush huh. Lol  Good for you that everything was painless. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.