skimmilk

PSA: DO NOT SEND YOUR PAPERS WITH USPS

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know it's a stressful way to begin an already stressful process---keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 hour ago, skim00 said:

So after two months of stressing over the paperwork, my husband and I finally sent our package last Friday.  We are in LA and the post office worker said the package would be delivered by this Monday.  Well, this has NOT happened at all.  The tracking has been stuck "in transit to destination" in Chicago for this entire week.  Even though I've called USPS and made an inquiry email, I haven't received any real help or answers.  I'm simultaneously angry and trying to be patient.  Anyways, this is just a warning to everyone who's about to send their packages out.  I suggest using FedEx or UPS because unfortunately USPS is too unreliable to trust with such important documents.  

You are right this happened to me several times and I have friends reporting the same issue. In my case it was urgent so I sent the package again but with UPS; my friend did the same with the OPT application. Eventually USPS delivered the package without updating the online tracking and with a week of delay. We both ended up paying the fees twice and had to withdraw one application. i know other people with the same issue: USPS then delivered the packages one or two weeks after. If you mailed an application to USCIS you will figure out if it was delivered only when USCIS will cash the check.

I had USPS tracking for my AOS paperwork. The tracking never changed to 'delivered'. I just got the email/text receipts from USCIS a few days later. I don't think the USPS tracking ever changed from 'in transit'. 

I don't know if this is the same for you

N-400 Timeline

March 16 2021 - Interview & same day Oath Ceremony, Ft. Myers FL - Officially a US citizen!

February 8 2021 - Interview Scheduled for March 16th

January 20 2021 - Received Biometric Reuse Letter

September 1 2020 - Filed Online

ROC Timeline

December 14 2020 - Green Card Received

December 12 2020 - Approval Notice Received

December 8 2020 - Approval Email, Case Status Updated

November 4 2019 - Completed Biometric at USCIS Tampa

October 26 2019 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter - Scheduled Nov 4th

July 25 2019 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

July 23 2019 - Check cashed

July 22 2019 - Text notification, #YSC Potomac

July 17 2019 - Packet delivered

July 15 2019 - Packet mailed to Dallas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

OP

We sent our papers USPS Priority Mail last Friday the 4th and received notification yesterday on the 10th via email that they received our papers and they were in process. That being said personally I've had bad experience with USPS FedEx ups and all of them for various types of me also I think sometimes it's just a matter of who's handling your documents or mail at the time. Best of wishes that you get a verification on that and that's why we always should have spare documentation for our records and for backup. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Sent all my paperwork with USPS Priority Express, all went great, so your mile may vary. Do not blame the whole provider only by your case.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I sent mine AOS packet yesterday with UPS and it got to Chicago after just 12 hours (we live in California)... but I payed almost $90!!! Super expensive but we were in a rush and it was more than 3 pounds of documents... so I think it worth it. 

I wish yours get there today so you can feel better for the weekend! 😉🙏🏻

August 10, 2017: AOS package sent

August 11, 2017: AOS package received at USCIC

August 18, 2017: Checks cashed

August 20, 2017: Text messages and e-mails

August 26, 2017: NOA hard copies

September 1, 2017: Biometrics letter received

September 15, 2017: Biometrics done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

We have been very happy with USPS, nothing gone missing. UPS on the other hand.. we were going to send an expensive Galaxy Note phone back to Verizon and that package "got lost" (somebody stealing it most likely). 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 minutes ago, JTTE said:

I sent mine AOS packet yesterday with UPS and it got to Chicago after just 12 hours (we live in California)... but I payed almost $90!!! Super expensive but we were in a rush and it was more than 3 pounds of documents... so I think it worth it. 

I wish yours get there today so you can feel better for the weekend! 😉🙏🏻

I believe mine was just bad luck. Thank you for the good vibes! Been checking my bank acct; checks have not been cashed yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
33 minutes ago, skim00 said:

I believe mine was just bad luck. Thank you for the good vibes! Been checking my bank acct; checks have not been cashed yet.

USPS and lost mail? Not uncommon at all.  I wouldn't send an important document through USPS unless there was no other choice.  Just look at how many examples on this thread of people who had their mail delayed by USPS.  The real question is why wouldn't you use FedEx next day or 2nd day air?  The visa process itself costs thousands of dollars.   So a few extra dollars to save more time, headaches and money is IMO more than worth it.  I sent my K-1 packet next day air over the Easter weekend ~ $69.  Who knows what would have happened to it going USPS over the holiday.

In any case start preparing the back up packet just in case.  Best Wishes! 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Cruise77 said:

USPS and lost mail? Not uncommon at all.  I wouldn't send an important document through USPS unless there was no other choice.  Just look at how many examples on this thread of people who had their mail delayed by USPS.  The real question is why wouldn't you use FedEx next day or 2nd day air?  The visa process itself costs thousands of dollars.   So a few extra dollars to save more time, headaches and money is IMO more than worth it.  I sent my K-1 packet next day air over the Easter weekend ~ $69.  Who knows what would have happened to it going USPS over the holiday.

In any case start preparing the back up packet just in case.  Best Wishes! 

I'm really kicking myself for not going to FedEx, which is literally up the street while USPS is a 15 minute walk. I understand a one or two day delay but now it's been a week. The "in transit" updates are also a system update when the item hasn't been scanned by a worker or hasn't gone through an actual checkpoint in 18-24 hours. So basically the package left the distribution center (supposedly) and is now in the ether.

I sent some immigration paperwork through UPS express 3 day priority (My ROC package). It took 2 weeks. Stressed doesn't even come close. Nothing is 100% guaranteed to arrive on time.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Timeline
2 minutes ago, QueenComley said:

I sent some immigration paperwork through UPS express 3 day priority (My ROC package). It took 2 weeks. Stressed doesn't even come close. Nothing is 100% guaranteed to arrive on time.

Holy damn, what happened?!  I don't know where ROC packages go.  Do they also get sent to the Chicago lockbox?  There was mention on the first page of this thread of someone who overnighted their AOS package and it took a week.  You're right that nothing's 100% guaranteed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For what it's worth I'm just happy the postal system exists.  

At least we're not waiting for our packages to travel by carrier pigeon :P 

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 minute ago, skim00 said:

Holy damn, what happened?!  I don't know where ROC packages go.  Do they also get sent to the Chicago lockbox?  There was mention on the first page of this thread of someone who overnighted their AOS package and it took a week.  You're right that nothing's 100% guaranteed.

Mine was being mailed from Memphis to Vermont. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating and stressful it was LOL!!! But on the plus side anything with a tracker number can be traced, it just sat stuck in transit for days and days. I remember a few years ago I mailed a huge box of Christmas gifts back to the UK. I mailed it nice and early, maybe October time....the package cost $85 to ship by just standard USPS. It never arrived..... Fast forward to July the next year and I get a knock on my door and the mailman had the $85 package in his hands.... it had been shipped back to me. LIVID!!!!!!! 

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

3 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

Sent all my paperwork with USPS Priority Express, all went great, so your mile may vary. Do not blame the whole provider only by your case.

it's not only my case...It happened to me multiple times, also my husband and some friends experienced the same problem: USPS does not update the online tracking sometimes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.