49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, sandranj said:

Join the VAWA thread part 8.You will not file VAWA but if you want you can file I-751 ROC based on extreme cruelty(mental abuse). We have on the thread hundreds of victims of abuse who suffered physical or/and psychological and sexual abuse as well. 

You should answer the divorce claim. Find a pro bono attorney to represent you and he/she will file a CONTESTED ANSWER TO COMPLAINT FOR ANNULMENT and file a COUNTERCLAIM as well. You can represent yourself in this annulment action, but it's better if you find a pro bono attorney to help you with this. Call the Bar Association and ask a list of pro bono attorneys in your area, ask the Clerk in the Court the list of pro bono attorneys as well.

In the last case scenario, I will help you to file I-751 waiver based on abuse if you decide this option, and if you want my help of course. I will not charge you for this and I will not represent you (I am an attorney) but I can review your forms, the affiant's affidavits and your own affidavit. You need to attend therapy and have a psychological evaluation done, and if you have a diagnose of depression due to the abuse suffered or PTSD then you can prove extreme cruelty.

Thank you Sandranj. After he left this morning he came back and push me down I hit my hand but there was no black and blue then. It just came up. I had to call the police and make a report. Without bruises he denied everything of course. He hit me in my stomach last night I didn't feel well so I went to urgent care but they had no machine so I have to go to emergency but everything turn out okay. As expected he told them I am lying because I got divorce papers. The only reason why I wasn't in a shelter already is because the ones with opening are far from work. The officers ask if I want a restraining order and he would have to leave the house if granted, I told them no because the people who lived there no him for twenty years so I was scared to even stay there by myself. So I will go stay with someone. I went to counseling but it wasn't a psychiatrist or a psychologist, just regular counselor.  I have been abuse but the marks weren't visible much, so it was hard to report physical abuse.  I was doing research which stated if I disagree with the ground that would mean I was contesting the divorce and that would be expensive, he probably did that because he knew I won't have money for a lawyer.

when I try to find pro bono lawyers on internet they were still asking how you going to pay.

I wanted to know 

1. If he got the annulment It would be like we never got married would I have to leave as soon as its finalized?

Thank u.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Depressed247 said:

Thank you Sandranj. After he left this morning he came back and push me down I hit my hand but there was no black and blue then. It just came up. I had to call the police and make a report. Without bruises he denied everything of course. He hit me in my stomach last night I didn't feel well so I went to urgent care but they had no machine so I have to go to emergency but everything turn out okay. As expected he told them I am lying because I got divorce papers. The only reason why I wasn't in a shelter already is because the ones with opening are far from work. The officers ask if I want a restraining order and he would have to leave the house if granted, I told them no because the people who lived there no him for twenty years so I was scared to even stay there by myself. So I will go stay with someone. I went to counseling but it wasn't a psychiatrist or a psychologist, just regular counselor.  I have been abuse but the marks weren't visible much, so it was hard to report physical abuse.  I was doing research which stated if I disagree with the ground that would mean I was contesting the divorce and that would be expensive, he probably did that because he knew I won't have money for a lawyer.

when I try to find pro bono lawyers on internet they were still asking how you going to pay.

I wanted to know 

1. If he got the annulment It would be like we never got married would I have to leave as soon as its finalized?

Thank u.

His sister was at the house today after showing her the ground was lie, she ask me if she should ask him to remove it he said he would talk to his lawyer to see if he can. I doubt he would, but if he did what does it mean?

1. Would I still have to answer the first one and state my grounds as well?

2. Or would I be send a different divorce papers?

Never been married don't know the process. 

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, Depressed247 said:

I wanted to know 

Thank u.

The restraining order is not just for him to leave the house,you can file a restraining order when living in another place the restrinaing order you have to file you you fear for your life.you made a mistake not asking one.I advise you to reconsider and get a restraining order against him. The physical abuse doesn;t necessary to leave marks, many times when pushing someone to the ground, slapping, punch in the stomach these things dont leave marks most of the times. To contest an annulment  you will not pay, you pay filing for divorce I believe around $300 but you can ask the Court to waive the fees if you can't aford this.

When do you have to answer the annulment? if you have at least 15 days ahead I can help you to answer the annulment. I will not charge you for this,but I need some time to answer.I will not represent you, I can answer and you sign ok.

sandra

Timeline

Hi Sandranj. When I asked about the restraining order I was told he would have to leave the house and that he wouldn't be able to contact me in any way. that was the only reason I got about the restraining order. His sister said I should leave because it's his house, I was too scare to stay there anyway. So I left on July 29, 2017. I got the divorce papers on July 25, 2017. The bruise on my arm is visible now it's huge. I have to cover it up with bandaids for work.

The second ground was irreconcilable differences for the past six months, this would mean that no one is to be blamed for the marriage breaking down right? But that wouldn't be true his abuse towards me broke down this marriage. Should I sign that part nonetheless?

I would really appreciate your help with the annulment. Thank you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.