The Nature  Boy

US murders concentrated in 5 percent of counties

92 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
11 hours ago, smilesammich said:

so, in these five counties - do you believe we should allow lawful gun ownership? like, allow felons to own guns say, if a certain time frame has passed since their felony or depending upon the type of felony?

Even though naitch already responded, I don't understand what this has to do with what was said. Yes you can allow lawful gun ownership that does not mean every single fellon should be allowed to own guns. The concept is law abiding citizens owning guns to defend from and deter the criminals who own guns illegally.

10 hours ago, yuna628 said:

And yet, how do you explain the goings on here? Where most everyone has multiple guns and tend to go bananas with them? Plenty of murders.. not to mention a whole bunch of ''accidental'' killings (the sort where they like to get real drunk and fire off a few rounds from their yards into people's houses for fun times) and crime is increasing here every year til' the point they say we may one day give the city crime rates a run for their money. A couple of months ago we had to go on mandatory lockdown because there was yet another standoff.

Btw, over the state line, in Delaware a young officer was brutally murdered by a guy a few days ago at the station we often stop at for fuel. Then he decided to have a 21hr armed standoff at his daddy's house, using his daddy's guns. Not sure how much ammo that guy had but the cops said he continued firing as if he was comfortable he'd never run out of ammo ever. You should see the damage to the police equipment and the neighbouring houses before they decided his 'party' was over and shot the waste of space in the head. They had to use the national guard for that one.

''Studies'' like this don't reveal the full picture. It only shows a picture of what some want to see.

I sure can't explain it except that it must be an exception? I don't know, especially knowing you are in a place very similar to where we are, with not a whole lot of people...here we see maybe one homicide a year. You still have little kids opening the door here for strangers, playing outside by themselves, leaving their bicycles unchained and nothing gets stolen, oftentimes doors aren't even locked when nobody is home.

8 hours ago, smilesammich said:

i agree, a 'felony charge' doesn't mean much anymore, other than you're branded as a felon and lose rights forever.

i knew a guy who had a felony and when he and his wife split - she called the law on him for living in their house for years with an antique gun that had been given to her after her grandfather died. it actually affected his custody arrangement because he had not made his wife store the gun outside of the home.

That's absurd. I actually know someone in the family from my wife's side who stabbed someone like 15 years ago or so - in self defense! and he's a felon for life now.

8 hours ago, smilesammich said:

you should have just stopped at poverty..

how has the government destroyed the nuclear family? only two things i can think of; terrible drug policy driven towards mass incarceration (we know that marijuana is a schedule one drug for the sole purpose of locking up minorities). and then ice/deportations. what am i missing?

Yeah I agree with naitch, definitely out there. I also disagree with it being a schedule one drug, but I don't agree with your reasoning behind it.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, IAMX said:

I don't like the use of homicides as well.. because that term, while including murders, also tends to include people killing someone else in self defense, or even killing someone else driving a car while drunk. I'm under the impression that for those of us left who are logical, murders would be the thing that would be far more concerning when discussing the issue of dangerous areas.

What!? Even with no murder, I'd consider a place with a high death-by-dui rate to be pretty effing dangerous! Same with self defense - sounds like a dangerous neighbourhood if you find it necessary to kill to protect yourself. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, smilesammich said:

oh dear lawd, you done triggered some folks..

Can't be the locals. I don't think they read too good down here. Too busy shootin' an' huntin' an' fishin' an' stuff like that. ;)

Edited by broppy

I don't know of any criminal that if given a choice would pick a victim who is armed versus unarmed. It should be no surprise that more crimes are committed in victim disarmament zones than areas that allow people to protect themselves. Also it should be no surprise that criminals don't obey gun (or most other) laws.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Timeline
1 hour ago, broppy said:

What!? Even with no murder, I'd consider a place with a high death-by-dui rate to be pretty effing dangerous! Same with self defense - sounds like a dangerous neighbourhood if you find it necessary to kill to protect yourself. 

That's a nationwide problem in the US.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

I don't know of any criminal that if given a choice would pick a victim who is armed versus unarmed. 

Gun thief? Much better return from targeting an obviously armed but unaware victim than someone that's obviously unarmed.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, IAMX said:

That's a nationwide problem in the US.

As opposed to Canada. Deaths from shovelling snow vs slipping on ice death rate...

16 hours ago, OriZ said:

I sure can't explain it except that it must be an exception? I don't know, especially knowing you are in a place very similar to where we are, with not a whole lot of people...here we see maybe one homicide a year. You still have little kids opening the door here for strangers, playing outside by themselves, leaving their bicycles unchained and nothing gets stolen, oftentimes doors aren't even locked when nobody is home.

We were ranked as one of the most dangerous places in the state to live, which is sad because it wouldn't be so bad if people could control themselves and take care of the place. You wouldn't hear of leaving stuff unlocked and no way anyone could leave bicycles laying anywhere because the homeless and drug runners would steal them. You won't believe how many grown men you see riding on little girl's tricycles! Where the officer was murdered and the standoff was at is considered a really nice area in Delaware to live.. compared to Wilmington which is probably even more unsafe than Baltimore at the moment according to some (and the husband works with a lot of cops these days that tell him how bad it's become). That's probably one of the most difficult things he's had to adjust to. I've had to stress how super aware you have to be and in some situations where he might be more trusting of someone, you have to become more cautious. I don't feel like this is necessarily an exception, as I think you can find other small towns full of poverty and violent crime these days. People make a big fuss over cities... but living there I knew what to expect, here I don't. And it's something worse all the time.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

17 hours ago, jg121783 said:

I don't know of any criminal that if given a choice would pick a victim who is armed versus unarmed. It should be no surprise that more crimes are committed in victim disarmament zones than areas that allow people to protect themselves. Also it should be no surprise that criminals don't obey gun (or most other) laws.

Criminals certainly don't obey gun laws. Street gang members don't obey gun laws. Taking guns away from those who own and use them legally and responsibly isn't going to stop criminals from having guns. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
5 hours ago, yuna628 said:

We were ranked as one of the most dangerous places in the state to live, which is sad because it wouldn't be so bad if people could control themselves and take care of the place. You wouldn't hear of leaving stuff unlocked and no way anyone could leave bicycles laying anywhere because the homeless and drug runners would steal them. You won't believe how many grown men you see riding on little girl's tricycles! Where the officer was murdered and the standoff was at is considered a really nice area in Delaware to live.. compared to Wilmington which is probably even more unsafe than Baltimore at the moment according to some (and the husband works with a lot of cops these days that tell him how bad it's become). That's probably one of the most difficult things he's had to adjust to. I've had to stress how super aware you have to be and in some situations where he might be more trusting of someone, you have to become more cautious. I don't feel like this is necessarily an exception, as I think you can find other small towns full of poverty and violent crime these days. People make a big fuss over cities... but living there I knew what to expect, here I don't. And it's something worse all the time.

Yeah, I can imagine when you get away from the city to escape from it and it gets so bad that would be even worse. Us personally we lock when we're not home although there have been times we left it unlocked so the propane folks could get in since we weren't going to be home. At night I didn't use to lock it but the wife kept getting on my case since she's from Milwaukee so she didn't feel safe so now I do lol. But I know of many people here who don't bother. We never lock our car and oftentimes leave it running for several minutes unattended outside of places we run into. The part in bold - I know I shouldn't laugh but LOL. Husband ever imagine he'd be living in such a place in the US?

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Timeline
6 hours ago, yuna628 said:

As someone who's spend much of my life living in big cities (SF, SJ, Toronto, Calgary, Munich, etc.), the main problem with big cities are the naive people who don't learn: 1) where the good and bad areas are, and 2) those who think you can just walk around at night (especially in those areas) and not have anything happen. This is where research comes into play.

2 hours ago, spookyturtle said:

Criminals certainly don't obey gun laws. Street gang members don't obey gun laws. Taking guns away from those who own and use them legally and responsibly isn't going to stop criminals from having guns. 

I was looking for you in the middle of the road. Almost hit you