Dianalorena

And the Oscar for best movie goes to!...

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
5 minutes ago, bcking said:

I disagree. I think that is overstepping a claim of "unconscious racial bias".

I'm not denying the Academy Awards is horribly biased, and it is much harder for someone in a minority group to win (for multiple reasons - different roles during casting and during the voting process).

However, I think this was quite clearly a managerial mistake behind the scenes. It's not like the presenters "misspoke" what was on their card. The card said La La Land. Warren Beatty noticed that it also said Emma Stone, he showed it to Faye Dunaway and she didn't notice and just said "La La Land". 

The wrong card was handed out, and then it was improperly announced. I don't see any racial bias in that. It's not like the movie on the card wasn't nominated for best picture. It was another contender, it was a popular movie, so seeing it on the card wouldn't be that surprising. It was clear Faye Dunaway took a split second look, saw the name, and said it outloud thinking that Warren was just "joking" by not saying it out loud. 

Thus the conspiracy theory.  You see that, others see differently

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What some people saw in this mistake was again a cultural bias against black art, unconscious though it may be

Guardian

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
10 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:

Exactly....

Of course each side is going to view it differently.

I am glad they realized the mistake, showed the correct envelope, and clarified it right there and then. They always have an auditor present to make sure the results are in line with the tallying.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
31 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

I am glad they realized the mistake, showed the correct envelope, and clarified it right there and then. They always have an auditor present to make sure the results are in line with the tallying.

True but the damage is done.  And some will see it as purposeful and intentional.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
45 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

I think so too, but with so much racism coming out of this administration, it's not surprising a foreign paper chose to explore the race angle. 

Seems all the racism is coming from the oh so politically correct "progressives".

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

I agree, but does this major guffaw really rise to the point of needing a formal investigation?  I heard PwC is going to get to the bottom of this!  Who cares, someone got a wrong envelope, big deal, so low level functionary in charge of handing the envelopes to the presenters will be fired, or demoted.  I am so amazed at all the ####### that goes on for these award shows, why not just announce winners to the press and forgo the 3-8 hour award presentation. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

I agree, but does this major guffaw really rise to the point of needing a formal investigation?  I heard PwC is going to get to the bottom of this!  Who cares, someone got a wrong envelope, big deal, so low level functionary in charge of handing the envelopes to the presenters will be fired, or demoted.  I am so amazed at all the ####### that goes on for these award shows, why not just announce winners to the press and forgo the 3-8 hour award presentation. 

Generally agreed. I don't typically watch (Only heard about this faffe this morning, and then watched a short clip). I do sometimes watch the Tony's, but that is more for the short performances that go on throughout the show from the musicals nominated.

Honestly the award events are more for the "red carpet" thing before hand. Lots of extra media attention for actors, movies, producers alike. 

Timeline

Leonardo DiCaprio flew eyebrow artist 7,500 miles to do his brows for the Oscars

The move is particularly surprising given the fact that DiCaprio is an active environment campaigner

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

39 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Leonardo DiCaprio flew eyebrow artist 7,500 miles to do his brows for the Oscars

The move is particularly surprising given the fact that DiCaprio is an active environment campaigner

A couple of questions on that...

1. Source?

2. Did his eyebrows look absolutely awesome?

EDIT:

Seems like DiCaprio was not the only one to use her services. She worked on several stars. Honestly I would highly doubt an "eyebrow artist" would be anywhere other than Los Angeles on the day before/day of the Oscars. What event somewhere else in the world on that same day would host more people willing to pay 200 dollars for custom eyebrow service? She was probably "conveniently" in Australia at the time so she could get her flight to LA covered, but was planning to go regardless.

Also, perhaps DiCaprio planted some trees to make up for it.

Edited by bcking

Timeline

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

I appreciate the magic of cinema, but I question the entire event too. Publish the darn list on the paper and call it a night, or go back to its original format, and keep it as a formal dinner at The Roosevelt for those in the industry only. 

Timeline

Seems like Russia was involved.

Timeline
42 minutes ago, bcking said:

A couple of questions on that...

1. Source?

2. Did his eyebrows look absolutely awesome?

EDIT:

Seems like DiCaprio was not the only one to use her services. She worked on several stars. Honestly I would highly doubt an "eyebrow artist" would be anywhere other than Los Angeles on the day before/day of the Oscars. What event somewhere else in the world on that same day would host more people willing to pay 200 dollars for custom eyebrow service? She was probably "conveniently" in Australia at the time so she could get her flight to LA covered, but was planning to go regardless.

Also, perhaps DiCaprio planted some trees to make up for it.

Furthermore, does anyone really care?

2 hours ago, CaliCat said:

Furthermore, does anyone really care?

I mean I do agree it is a little hypocritical for an outspoken environmentalist to pay to fly someone from Australia just to do eyebrows for an award show.

From the actual article it seems like she flew to LA to do multiple people's eyebrows. Perhaps she got it paid for, but it is very unlikely it was Leonardo DiCaprio personally paying for her flight. I'm sure she was going to be in LA regardless since she is such a niche industry and the biggest award show in LA would be a prime spot for her to do business.