Adam&Allison

What costs should I expect when I move to the USA on a K1 fiance visa?

35 posts in this topic

So I have my K1 visa now and I'm trying to figure out what costs will be incurred when I move to the USA between the time I land, and receive my Green Card. I have the AoS/Biometrics fee which I believe is at $1225 right now - I've also got stuff like marriage license, certificate etc. budgeted for. What else should I be expecting?

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Any actual costs for the wedding celebration? Fees related to getting a DL. Was your medical including vaccinations complete? Health insurance? Living costs and any activities you and your spouse want to engage in?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello!

As far as I know once you're marry you should apply for EAD, that allows your to work (will need to reapply every year until your AOS (i.e. "Green Card") application is approved) and the AP that allows you to leave the country on a vacation / trip while your AOS application is being processed.

EAD $495

7 minutes ago, anajabonero said:

Hello!

As far as I know once you're marry you should apply for EAD, that allows your to work (will need to reapply every year until your AOS (i.e. "Green Card") application is approved) and the AP that allows you to leave the country on a vacation / trip while your AOS application is being processed.

EAD $495

I was always under the impression that you can file for the EAD/AP for free as part of the AoS package?

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

I was always under the impression that you can file for the EAD/AP for free as part of the AoS package?

This is correct. 

EAD/AP is applied for with the AOS package. 

Otherwise A'n'L had some good questions that would be helpful if you answered. 

18 minutes ago, A'n'L said:

Any actual costs for the wedding celebration? Fees related to getting a DL. Was your medical including vaccinations complete? Health insurance? Living costs and any activities you and your spouse want to engage in?

There won't be any costs for the wedding celebration, not yet anyways - that will come later. The driving license fees I've looked at, and those are fine - they seem cheap enough. I have all my vaccinations done, apart from a flu jab which I have to get done. For health insurance, yeah, I need to look into that. There will also be money set aside for social activities :)

Timeline
9 minutes ago, anajabonero said:

Hello!

EAD $495

8 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

Both EAD and AP (advance parole, travel permit) are absolutely free of charge when filed together with AOS (or even with a pending AOS).

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Timeline
1 minute ago, Adam&Allison said:

There won't be any costs for the wedding celebration, not yet anyways - that will come later. The driving license fees I've looked at, and those are fine - they seem cheap enough. I have all my vaccinations done, apart from a flu jab which I have to get done. For health insurance, yeah, I need to look into that. There will also be money set aside for social activities :)

Well, if your DS3025 is not marked complete (?), expect to pay a few hundred dollars for a US civil surgeon to transcribe your vaccinations onto the i693.

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

AnL has given you a good list, I would say that whatever you have budgeted for 'just because' spending add more - you have several months of enforced leisure ahead while you wait for your EAD :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

Cost of living expenses, rent, food, bills... I can say that often bills and food will double in cost when a couple moves in together. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Cost of living expenses, rent, food, bills... I can say that often bills and food will double in cost when a couple moves in together. 

Aye, sorry I should've mentioned - stuff like food and bills and rent etc. is all budgeted for

Awesome, good job! Most people dont budget for the 3(ish) months the k1 visa holder wont be working for.  It's more difficult than people realize being unable to be employed in any capacity.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Furniture and re-decorating was something we spent a lot of money on to make my husbands house suitable for two. Any items you can't bring from home (bicycle, gym equipment, kitchen utensils your fiancé might not have).

K1 process

AOS process:

ROC process:

Thankfully my husband's home was habitable because he went out of his way to make sure we had things (new pot and pan set for example) which was very nice.  But alfeful has a good point.  Generally women have most basics but not always.  Since the OP has social events money, Im sure an extra blanket or a special pot is in the budget too. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Always expect the unexpected. Between marriage license, wedding/civil ceremony, even certified copies of the license to have for AOS and other things.

Any emergency stuff, clothing possibly.... I thought I had it planned out pretty well but then we got a puppy haha.. there was an unforseen expense but worth it.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.