Strumf

Studying at the college in US visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a nephew that currently lives in Bosnia, we are looking into two future college student options. One is starting the college in Bosnia for a year or two then applying to come to US for undergrad college though some program. Another option we were looking at is starting the undergrad college in US. He would also look into getting the Graduate/Doctorate as he is a A+ student and eventually stay in US permanently. What kind of visa we should be looking at? Can he work while in US while studying? Can he stay the entire time while in college in US or does he have to travel back in between sessions? Does anyone have any experience with this? Where do we start? 

PS. I realize I might have posted this in the wrong forum. I'm not sure how to move it to appropriate forum.

Edited by dejan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F1 Student visa, work well there is OPT after graduation and very limited possibilities before.

Obviously they need to contact the International Admissions Office of whatever Uni they are looking at, have good enough grades and be able to afford the tuition rates.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*****  Moving from K1 fiance visa to F1 student visa forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you or your nephew looked in to the cost of studying in the United States?  When I studied here I experienced sticker shock!  Plus with the limited opportunities for international students to work (on campus and only part-time) it made living here difficult while attending school.

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I would pile on here and just mention that you should not expect to work and with the money earned pay the tuition. You should have the money ready upfront for the entire cost of education, or you might end up in a world of hurt.

As @Boiler mentioned, work opportunities are limited on-campus and even more limited off-campus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Because a student visa is non immigrant you have to show that you intend to return home ultimately .   He would have to show funds to pay for his education here

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/21/2017 at 2:43 PM, dejan said:

I have a nephew that currently lives in Bosnia, we are looking into two future college student options. One is starting the college in Bosnia for a year or two then applying to come to US for undergrad college though some program. Another option we were looking at is starting the undergrad college in US. He would also look into getting the Graduate/Doctorate as he is a A+ student and eventually stay in US permanently. What kind of visa we should be looking at? Can he work while in US while studying? Can he stay the entire time while in college in US or does he have to travel back in between sessions? Does anyone have any experience with this? Where do we start? 

PS. I realize I might have posted this in the wrong forum. I'm not sure how to move it to appropriate forum.

For undergrad college the visa would be the F1. Later, for graduate/doctorate we could apply for J1, which would allow him to work with some restrictions.

Like other people mentioned, plan your finances counting that he would not receive any income from work during college. The F1 visa would allow him to work on campus, but it would be better not count on that money.

The next step, assuming he can afford 4 years of education in the US (tuition, living expenses, health insurance etc.), it's to apply and be accepted. If he is accepted, the College/University would give him the I-20, the form he needs to have in hand to apply for the student visa (F-1). Depending upon the field of study, he will need to do standardized tests (TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, SAT, ACT), prepare essays, do interviews. In short, the application process can take some time.

I came to study in the US in 1998. My planning started in 1996.

There's Education USA offices in Bosnia - plenty of information through them. 

https://sarajevo.usembassy.gov/mobile//educational-advising-centers.html

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Our pleasure

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.