Matt Deeley

Profanity in proof of ongoing relationship?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

First of all, this is my first post on this site, but the site's already been invaluable to me, so thanks all for that.

Me and my fiance have plenty of photos together, passport stamps and chat logs etc, but we curse like sailors in the chat logs, so my question is this, could it hurt my case at all to have profanity in my proof of ongoing relationship? Should I blur the words out, or will that look more dodgy? 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Matt Deeley said:

First of all, this is my first post on this site, but the site's already been invaluable to me, so thanks all for that.

Me and my fiance have plenty of photos together, passport stamps and chat logs etc, but we curse like sailors in the chat logs, so my question is this, could it hurt my case at all to have profanity in my proof of ongoing relationship? Should I blur the words out, or will that look more dodgy? 

Thanks

LOL

What kind of cursing forgive me my curiosity? Don't send those chats dialogues where you are not sure how it will affect your application.  For someone it might be a sign of endearment for others quite opposite. Sometimes some things could be misinterpreted if the person doesn't know you and your relationship well. So send only what shows your bona fide relatonship, not what would make your bonafide relationship look doubtful.

35 minutes ago, Matt Deeley said:

Thanks

You can block some out.. We tried looking for ones where we were talking bout relationship or family stuff but those profanities would sometimes "interupt" (lol) .... so I blocked it out ... I don't think it looks "dodgy" it could even oppositely show that you have the ability to know that it's not suitable to leave it in there and it shows respect for them... I can imagine those black boxes would make someone smile a bit even... Most ppl curse more or less sometimes... we're just human... don't overthink things :)

Edited by Suss&Camm

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

LOL

What kind of cursing forgive me my curiosity? Don't send those chats dialogues where you are not sure how it will affect your application.  For someone it might be a sign of endearment for others quite opposite. Sometimes some things could be misinterpreted if the person doesn't know you and your relationship well. So send only what shows your bona fide relatonship, not what would make your bonafide relationship look doubtful.

Just general f-bombs and the like, it's just kinda part of our vocabulary, like, he got a promotion at work and I was like "**** man, that's great", or like "Oh ****! Happy birthday dude!".

I'm pretty sure it can't be interpreted as anything other than endearment, I just don't want to get anyone's backs up with it, and I wondered if there was official advice. I mean, we're all grownups haha, it just feels out of place on such a formal form.

1 minute ago, Matt Deeley said:

Just general f-bombs and the like, it's just kinda part of our vocabulary, like, he got a promotion at work and I was like "**** man, that's great", or like "Oh ****! Happy birthday dude!".

I'm pretty sure it can't be interpreted as anything other than endearment, I just don't want to get anyone's backs up with it, and I wondered if there was official advice. I mean, we're all grownups haha, it just feels out of place on such a formal form.

So send whatever would not make you worried sick and second guess afterwords

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Suss&Camm said:

You can block some out.. We tried looking for ones where we were talking bout relationship or family stuff but those profanities would sometimes "interupt" (lol) .... so I blocked it out ... I don't think it looks "dodgy" it could even oppositely show that you have the ability to know that it's not suitable to leave it in there and it shows respect for them... I can imagine those black boxes would make someone smile a bit even... Most ppl curse more or less sometimes... we're just human... don't overthink things :)

Haha, that's the exact same problem I'm having. Alright, good to know, thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What i did was just send the first page of different dates throughout our relationship.  All that was on the first page was mostly things like hi how are you i missed you, etc. 

Are you a US/UK couple?

I (US) provided three photos, a copy of my plane tickets and receipts of things I bought in the U.K. while I was there with my initial petition. My fiancé did not supply anything extra during the interview and we were fine. No chat logs whatsoever!

If your relationship seems rather easy to file (for instance, you've been together a while already, no police record, no medial issues, no children immigrating as well, etc) I'd suggest you just save the paper!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Valabum said:

Are you a US/UK couple?

I (US) provided three photos, a copy of my plane tickets and receipts of things I bought in the U.K. while I was there with my initial petition. My fiancé did not supply anything extra during the interview and we were fine. No chat logs whatsoever!

If your relationship seems rather easy to file (for instance, you've been together a while already, no police record, no medial issues, no children immigrating as well, etc) I'd suggest you just save the paper!

Yeah, we are, we've known eachother for five years, so what you're saying certainly makes me a bit more confident.

And there was me all worried because our chat logs only go back a year and a half hahaha, thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just get excerpts as proof.. That's what we did... :)

10/27/16 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
11/01/16 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX
10/31/16 - NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC
11/04/16 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
01/13/17- NOA2 Text and Email  **wohhoooo 76 days**
01/20/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 
01/27/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
02/07/17 - Medical ( Passed!!!!)
02/23/17 - Interview (APPPRRROOOOVVEEDDDDD)
02/24/17 - Visa Issued

02/28/2017 - Visa in Hand =)

04/03/2017 - Pick up our doggy passport for our fur child
04/06/2017 - Arrived in USA!!!

04/24/2017 - Applied for SSN

04/28/2017 - SSN arrived, got a state ID card and opened bank account

06/05/2017 - Passed the DMV test! Yey I can drive. 

06/09/2017- Our Wedding 

06/30/2017 - Submitted our AOS packet 

07/05/2017- Check got encashed and notification that they received our packet 

07/11/2017 - received a text and email for NOA1 

07/17/2017 - hard copy of NOA 1 received in the mail for (EAD, AP and AOS)

08/04/2017 - biometrics scheduled 

08/14/2017 - received update that they are ready to schedule the interview 

Timeline

Matt Deeley, I went to my interview on the 8th December and I took photographs, boarding passes, letters, cards and chat logs... Thought I would go prepared.

I was worried because I didn't have much of a chat log as we tend to video call every opportunity we get and then used snap chat a lot in between so we could still see each other.

They did not ask to see one thing that I had taken with me for proof of relationship. I would definitely take things with you and as the others have advised if you cannot find part of the conversation where you didn't F and Jeff :lol: then just block the words out. Just don't be surprised if you go through all the trouble of getting these things together to then not be asked for them, It seems this is not uncommon at the embassy in London :)

Best of luck! :thumbs:  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

hahahahah I can't stop laughing!!! not making fun of you is just the situation itself...

I think we all went through this at some point...you know!! is pretty much normal to have a few bad words here and there plus not pG13 appropriate conversations hhahahahahahah...

Honestly, we didn't send any chat logs along our i129 petition but we did get copies for my k1 visa interview. What we did: we took a black marker and cross out the words of phrases we didn't feel like sharing.

In the end, the CO didn't request not even a single photo during my interview and I was approved on the spot...I think they all understand that as a couple you feel extremely comfortable with each other and the language is just a proof of it 

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Timeline
4 hours ago, Valabum said:

Are you a US/UK couple?

Yeah this is exactly right.

We sent no chat logs whatsoever as initial proof. We sent a few photos, passport entry stamps, boarding passes and a screenshot of Facebook with a picture of us and my fiancees dad commenting on it for the initial I-129F and I simply just took the engagement ring receipt to the embassy as ongoing proof. Chat logs are very much secondary evidence that for the American Embassy in London more than likely will not want to see.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
15 hours ago, Matt Deeley said:

We went through the same thing, though we do not curse often, we have developed a way of chatting, a new lingo only we get so to speak. Inside jokes and all. Anyone else reading these chats will have a hard time getting the jokes, let alone that we are joking. So we tried not to include to many of those kinds of chats and tried to find ones that were easier to digest for everyone else. We chat so often so finding content was not the problem -- the challenge was trying to find  "clean" chats that showed the best of us amongst our 29 gigs of chat files. :rolleyes:

I stressed out to the max while preparing for our application. If I had to do it again, I'd not worry as much about the chats, I'd just pick 1-2 a month and be done with it. Good luck and keep cursing, errr, sailing on... :D

Edited by amul

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there someday.” - WTP 

Spoiler

USCIS
09/07/16: I-130 mailed
09/12/16: NOA1 email
01/11/17: Received an RFE
02/20/17 RFE Response
03/01/17: NOA2 / I-130 Approved (letter)

NVC 

03/17/17: NVC received

03/21/17: Submitted DS-261 (Online Choice of Address and Agent)

03/22/17: Received DS-261+ AOS Bill
03/22/17: AOS Bill Paid
03/27/17: Received + Paid IV Bill

04/20/17: PCC + New Birth Certificate received (took 4+ weeks)
04/25/17: Sent AOS + IV Package
06/27/17: CC confirmed on the phone (NVC)
06/28/17: Interview date confirmed on the phone (NVC)
06/30/17: P4 Letter received (via email)
07/06/17: Second identical P4 email received
07/10/17: Our case left NVC
07/13/17: Case arrived at New Delhi Consulate

07/18/17: Email received from New Delhi Embassy about Biometrics/VAC

07/18/17: Email received from New Delhi Embassy (missing Marriage Certificate - must have lost it since we included this in the RFE during the USCIS stage + got approved!)

07/18/17: Biometrics scheduled via UStraveldocs site
07/21/17: Biometrics completed

07/25/17: Medical scheduled (Max in Lajpat)

07/26/17: Medical completed (will be ready to pick up in 3-4 days)
08/01/17: Medical papers ready for pickup

08/16/17: Interview Day

08/16/17: Visa Approved - Woohoo! 💕

08/17/17: Visa issued + passport ready for pickup

08/18/17: Passport and sealed envelops picked up

08/19/17: Immigration Fee ($220) paid via ELIS
08/25/17: Plane ticket purchased (POE on Sep) 😍
09/14/17: POE at Dulles 

ROC

09/10/19: I-751 Packet sent 🤘
09/20/19: NOA I-797 received! 

Here is our Embassy review and interview details http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/view-dos-cis-reviews.php?entry=22377

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about. I'm pretty sure U.S. government workers cuss, too.

Except the ones who work for the F.C.C. 

I work for a railway. My USC trophy wife works at a restaurant. Believe me, friend, she can make a room full of longshoremen blush!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.