16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm in an unusual situation, for which I haven't managed to find an answer in past discussions. I'm a conditional resident, and about two weeks ago I submitted my i-751 to remove the conditions and become a permanent resident (it's definitely been received at the VSC, because they cashed my check). Unfortunately, though, I think I've lost my green card.

I last used my green card a week ago, to travel from Austin to New York. I'm still waiting to hear back from all the various lost property places (airline, airports, etc) I've contacted, but not feeling that hopeful right now. This has never happened to me before, and it's REALLY bad timing, because in 6 days time, I'm flying home to the UK for Christmas. I'm due to return to the US in early January, and now am very worried that if I go, I won't be able to re-enter.

My green card expires at the end of February. I've yet to receive my NOA1. Hopefully that will come within the next week. The New York InfoPass centre has zero available appointments (same for the Long Island one). So I have a few questions:

1. If I receive the NOA1, but don't find my green card, will that, plus my valid UK passport, be enough for me to re-enter the US?

2. If I don't receive the NOA1 in time, is there any other document that could get me back in?

3. Is there any way to get an i-551 stamp without an InfoPass appointment? Should I try to make an InfoPass appointment at the London embassy?

4. I know that ordinarily I would use form i-90 to apply for a replacement green card -- but can I do that after having submitted i-751?

5. How screwed am I?

Any help that anyone would give would be hugely appreciated. I'm feeling pretty freaked right now! I'll update this thread if I get any more information, or am lucky enough to find my green card.

Thank you!

FM

Filed: Country:
Timeline

there are ways to get back in the us if you lose your greencard while abroad. they generally require you to contact the us embassy and get a travel document to let you enter the us and they you need to file an i90 to get a replacement card.

1 nope need the card for the letter to have meaning

2 yes see what I wrote above. sorry I don't remember the forms you need to do.

3 not while you are abroad but the form I mentioned will work for letting you in.

4 yes you still can and do need to file an i90

5 not really just need to fill out paperwork and pay the fees plus a bit of waiting

good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm in an unusual situation, for which I haven't managed to find an answer in past discussions. I'm a conditional resident, and about two weeks ago I submitted my i-751 to remove the conditions and become a permanent resident (it's definitely been received at the VSC, because they cashed my check). Unfortunately, though, I think I've lost my green card.

I last used my green card a week ago, to travel from Austin to New York. I'm still waiting to hear back from all the various lost property places (airline, airports, etc) I've contacted, but not feeling that hopeful right now. This has never happened to me before, and it's REALLY bad timing, because in 6 days time, I'm flying home to the UK for Christmas. I'm due to return to the US in early January, and now am very worried that if I go, I won't be able to re-enter.

My green card expires at the end of February. I've yet to receive my NOA1. Hopefully that will come within the next week. The New York InfoPass centre has zero available appointments (same for the Long Island one). So I have a few questions:

1. If I receive the NOA1, but don't find my green card, will that, plus my valid UK passport, be enough for me to re-enter the US? No, the letter is meaningless without the card.

2. If I don't receive the NOA1 in time, is there any other document that could get me back in? An I-551 stamp.

3. Is there any way to get an i-551 stamp without an InfoPass appointment? Should I try to make an InfoPass appointment at the London embassy? No. Not sure about London embassy but you should try showing up at your InfoPass center w/o an appointment.

4. I know that ordinarily I would use form i-90 to apply for a replacement green card -- but can I do that after having submitted i-751? Yes.

5. How screwed am I? Very if you don't get another green card or the stamp. You won't be getting back in.

Any help that anyone would give would be hugely appreciated. I'm feeling pretty freaked right now! I'll update this thread if I get any more information, or am lucky enough to find my green card.

Thank you!

FM

1 - Nope. The extension letter accompanies an expired card, but doesn't replace it or eliminate it . However, an infopass I-551 stamp DOES replace the need to show an expired card + letter. The extension letters normally arrive in a couple of weeks, so hopefully it will be with you soon. Do you have a photo or scan of the expired card still?

You do not need anything to board the flight to the UK except your UK passport so your leaving the country isn't affected.

2 - You need a transportation letter from the London embassy.

Link here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/transportation-letter-request/ - send this NOW and do not leave until you have their instructions and confirmation. You can also call them.

3 - You could try a walk in, but the New York federal plaza office is not exactly the friendliest and can be pretty busy.. having said that, last time I went there (which was very recently) at no point did anyone visually check my letter or scan it, they just asked my purpose of visit, so you could try and blag it. Alternatively keep checking online between midnite eastern and midnite pacific and as well as new appointments for 14 days later, cancellations get dumped back into the system. However, without the extension letter in hand, they will only stamp until the original expiry date of the card, so pray for your extension letter to arrive and an appointment to open up before you leave.

The London Embassy does not routinely offer I-551 stamp infopass appointments, and you cannot do walk-ins there either, so email for the transportation letter as per my link above which will result in an appointment. Do not leave the US until you have their instructions and confirmation.

4 - They will not replace an expired card, and even if you filed it now before it expires, the chances of having it by the time it expires are very slim, given it is taking between three and six months currently. It is also a total waste of $400 or so. Better to get the transportation letter for travel, and the infopass appointment with extension letter in hand, and then get the stamp until the expiry of the extension letter.

5 - Not very. Just a few more hoops to jump through. Your status isn't affected, just the proof of it, which unfortunately for you is what you need right now. It isn't so much immigration when trying to re-enter, as there are ways for them to verify, but it is the fact that no carrier will allow you to board a flight to the US without showing proof of your status. In theory you could apply for an ESTA and then board that way, but then you will have the hassle at the border and doing that that may cause other problems further down the line. Better to do the method for the transportation letter as above and all should be well.

This kind of ball ache is exactly why I personally choose not to carry my GC day to day, and when travelling it lives in a specific safe place inside a pocket of my bag. I only ever use my drivers license as ID for domestic flights.

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

This kind of ball ache is exactly why I personally choose not to carry my GC day to day, and when travelling it lives in a specific safe place inside a pocket of my bag. I only ever use my drivers license as ID for domestic flights.

Just a note for anyone reading, not carrying your Green Card or other proof of residency is a misdemeanor offense, so this is at your own risk. It depends entirely on what you view to be worse or more likely to happen.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Just a note for anyone reading, not carrying your Green Card or other proof of residency is a misdemeanor offense, so this is at your own risk. It depends entirely on what you view to be worse or more likely to happen.

This is true. Never heard of anybody ever being prosecuted for said misdemeanor. I'm not saying it never happens, but it's extremely unlikely to happen.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

1 - Nope. The extension letter accompanies an expired card, but doesn't replace it or eliminate it . However, an infopass I-551 stamp DOES replace the need to show an expired card + letter. The extension letters normally arrive in a couple of weeks, so hopefully it will be with you soon. Do you have a photo or scan of the expired card still?

You do not need anything to board the flight to the UK except your UK passport so your leaving the country isn't affected.

2 - You need a transportation letter from the London embassy.

Link here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/transportation-letter-request/ - send this NOW and do not leave until you have their instructions and confirmation. You can also call them.

4 - They will not replace an expired card, and even if you filed it now before it expires, the chances of having it by the time it expires are very slim, given it is taking between three and six months currently. It is also a total waste of $400 or so. Better to get the transportation letter for travel, and the infopass appointment with extension letter in hand, and then get the stamp until the expiry of the extension letter.

Thank you all for your responses! This kind of insight is exactly why forums like this are so important. You can never get a real answer from USCIS on anything!

mindthegap, I have a few follow-up questions:

1. Yes, I do have scans of the card, front and back. It doesn't actually expire til the end of February. Are scans any use?

2. Just to be clear: if I get the transportation letter from the London embassy, do I still need to get the i-551 stamp? If I understand you correctly, I can travel on just the transportation letter from the Embassy. Is the stamp something I need to have while waiting for the new card? And is there a fee for that?

Thank you again!

Thank you all for your responses! This kind of insight is exactly why forums like this are so important. You can never get a real answer from USCIS on anything!

mindthegap, I have a few follow-up questions:

1. Yes, I do have scans of the card, front and back. It doesn't actually expire til the end of February. Are scans any use?

2. Just to be clear: if I get the transportation letter from the London embassy, do I still need to get the i-551 stamp? If I understand you correctly, I can travel on just the transportation letter from the Embassy. Is the stamp something I need to have while waiting for the new card? And is there a fee for that?

Thank you again!

The embassy will tell you what the score is with the process for the transportation letter - I have no personal experience of it and no idea about fees.

The transportation letter + your UK passport will be sufficient to board back to the US and go through immigration, although you will probably be subjected to secondary while they verify the details. The transportation letters I believe are one-time use only but it will get you back to the US successfully which is the primary aim here.

After that, you will still need the stamp after you receive your extension letter, as it will act as your proof of status instead of your expired card+extension letter. The extension letter by itself is a nothing and would leave you in the same situation as now.

When you get back to the US, take the extension letter and scans of GC with you, plus a copy of your (used) transportation letter to an infopass appointment and your passport, clearly explain the situation and why you need a stamp, and all *should* be well.

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

• 4 weeks later...

How did you get on?  Did you go to the London Embassy for a transportation letter and pay the extortionate fee? I don't understand why a transportation letter would cost $565, I just can't get my head around it to be honest.  Am I right in thinking if you have a 1551 stamp in your passport then you dont need the transportation letter?  I am very confused about this.   I do know that a lost or stolen card takes at least 4 months as I lost mine coming through Philadelphia airport and had to apply for a new one, so pointless as by the time you receive one then it will be out of date.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

10 hours ago, shell20 said:

How did you get on?  Did you go to the London Embassy for a transportation letter and pay the extortionate fee? I don't understand why a transportation letter would cost $565, I just can't get my head around it to be honest.  Am I right in thinking if you have a 1551 stamp in your passport then you dont need the transportation letter?  I am very confused about this.   I do know that a lost or stolen card takes at least 4 months as I lost mine coming through Philadelphia airport and had to apply for a new one, so pointless as by the time you receive one then it will be out of date.

Hi shell20, thanks for asking. I just got back from my trip yesterday, and wanted to wait and see that everything would work at immigration before I followed up. I was really lucky in the end, and got an emergency passport stamp, for free. Here's what happened:

- As suggested above, I got in touch with the London Embassy. Found out the fee for the transportation letter, etc., and was about to book an appointment and pay the fee, but thought I'd wait an extra day to look for my green card.

- The next day (two days before my trip), I received my NOA1 letter. Once I had that, I thought I'd try calling USCIS one more time. This time I managed to get through to a real person (not easy!), who told me that because I had already submitted my ROC request and received my NOA1, I was not eligible for a replacement green card, but was eligible for an i-551 stamp in my passport. What's more, she said it was free! I explained that I had been trying to get an InfoPass appointment at a USCIS center, but they were all booked up. She said that in an emergency situation (i.e. when traveling in a few days time), the center would accept a walk-in.

- The following morning, I went to the Federal Plaza USCIS center. Nobody asked for an appointment letter at security. When I was in, I was directed to a room at the back on the ground floor, where they dealt with appointments, etc. I explained my situation to one of the staff members (showing her my NOA1, my passport, and my itinerary), and she gave me an immediate appointment. Half an hour later, I had a stamp in my passport. The whole thing took no more than 45 minutes.

- When checking in at Heathrow to return, I showed my NOA1 letter and passport stamp. Then, at immigration at JFK, I mistakenly only showed my passport (I had the NOA1 in my hand ready to show, but wasn't asked for it -- should have told the guy, though). Probably because of this, I was held back for about half an hour, but as soon as another officer looked at the letter and stamp, I was admitted.

So, to summarise for anyone else in this situation:

1. Call USCIS and speak to a real person: the rules always have exceptions that aren't publicised, and this turns out to be one of them.

2. If you have submitted your ROC and received your NOA1, you should be eligible for a free i-551 stamp in your passport. That might even be the case if you haven't received your NOA1 -- but I'm not sure.

3. If you have a travel emergency, you can do a walk in, at least at the Federal Plaza office (and given how busy that one is, I imagine that would apply elsewhere).

Thanks for sharing!  I am SO glad it worked out for you!!  My situation right now is pretty dire, if not horrendous.   It makes me wonder why I bother with the immigration process as it has been one, complete nightmare from the off set.

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, fgcm said:

Hi shell20, thanks for asking. I just got back from my trip yesterday, and wanted to wait and see that everything would work at immigration before I followed up. I was really lucky in the end, and got an emergency passport stamp, for free. Here's what happened:

- As suggested above, I got in touch with the London Embassy. Found out the fee for the transportation letter, etc., and was about to book an appointment and pay the fee, but thought I'd wait an extra day to look for my green card.

- The next day (two days before my trip), I received my NOA1 letter. Once I had that, I thought I'd try calling USCIS one more time. This time I managed to get through to a real person (not easy!), who told me that because I had already submitted my ROC request and received my NOA1, I was not eligible for a replacement green card, but was eligible for an i-551 stamp in my passport. What's more, she said it was free! I explained that I had been trying to get an InfoPass appointment at a USCIS center, but they were all booked up. She said that in an emergency situation (i.e. when traveling in a few days time), the center would accept a walk-in.

- The following morning, I went to the Federal Plaza USCIS center. Nobody asked for an appointment letter at security. When I was in, I was directed to a room at the back on the ground floor, where they dealt with appointments, etc. I explained my situation to one of the staff members (showing her my NOA1, my passport, and my itinerary), and she gave me an immediate appointment. Half an hour later, I had a stamp in my passport. The whole thing took no more than 45 minutes.

- When checking in at Heathrow to return, I showed my NOA1 letter and passport stamp. Then, at immigration at JFK, I mistakenly only showed my passport (I had the NOA1 in my hand ready to show, but wasn't asked for it -- should have told the guy, though). Probably because of this, I was held back for about half an hour, but as soon as another officer looked at the letter and stamp, I was admitted.

So, to summarise for anyone else in this situation:

1. Call USCIS and speak to a real person: the rules always have exceptions that aren't publicised, and this turns out to be one of them.

2. If you have submitted your ROC and received your NOA1, you should be eligible for a free i-551 stamp in your passport. That might even be the case if you haven't received your NOA1 -- but I'm not sure.

3. If you have a travel emergency, you can do a walk in, at least at the Federal Plaza office (and given how busy that one is, I imagine that would apply elsewhere).

Thanks a lot for all this helpful info! Happy it worked out smoothly for you! great job!

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

• 10 months later...

Wow that was lucky.. I had to get in contact with my local senator to get my stamp when I lost my wallet. The guy at the uscis told me he needed to see my greencard to get the stamp.. I also found out in August this year that the I-751 petitions for ROC were only now being processed from July 15  2016 or before.. So I'm in the process of finding out if i need an extension of the 1 year because my letter runs out in Febuary.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

I wanted to add a data point to this thread since it was very helpful in resolving a similar situation for my spouse.

First off thank you to OP @mindthegap for providing this extremely helpful information!

My spouse lost his conditional green card a month after submitting his I-751 and after having received his NOA1 (18 month extension letter) and after completing his biometrics, but 4 weeks before our scheduled holiday overseas. Since our local infopass center (NYC) was not accepting neither appointments nor walkthroughs (according to the website) he called USCIS using the incredibly helpful VJ link here and spoke to someone who said he would receive a call within 72 hours. He received a call back and had an InfoPass appointment scheduled within 2 weeks to obtain an I-551 stamp.

He showed up on time (8AM) and was done within 15 minutes. The person who gave him the stamp actually said that as long as he has the NOA1 letter, the stamp is not necessary but "it's still good to have" which seems to be conflicting information from what we've read about here, so either way I would advise to follow the same procedure. The only annoying thing is that the NOA1 extension is through February 2021, whereas now the I-551 stamp has to be renewed in July 2020 but hopefully he'll have his 10-year green card by then.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, NYBEtt said:

The person who gave him the stamp actually said that as long as he has the NOA1 letter, the stamp is not necessary but "it's still good to have" which

I doubt ANY airline would allow a person with only the extension letter to board an aircraft......both the expired GC and extension letter are required .

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.