simonschus

Global Entry kiosks - which way in does the Green Card go?

14 posts in this topic

Ello ello ello.

Hopefully not a silly question so please don't berate me if it is haha!

I'm going to be using Global Entry program with my Green Card for the first time soon (previously, I used Global Entry using my passport under the Visa Waiver Program).

When using the GE Kiosks, which way up do you place you green card? The photo side facing down? Or the photo side facing up? How far do you slide it along the scanner? I was so used to doing it with the passport!

I hope this isn't a silly question! I don't want to get the 'X' just because I've placed the card the wrong way around!

Simon.

P.S. The reason why I'm confused is because I don't know which side the scanner is interested in, the photo side or the side with the barcode.

Edited by simonschus

I've been using GE for a couple years now and I've had it read my GC once. :)

I always just type in the number now rather than faff about trying to get it to read, which also means I basically never take out and show my GC to anyone anymore.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Haha, I'm looking forward to using my Green Card with it. Previously, it has always been my UK passport using the kiosks. I was quite happy when I checked and found out I could continue to use the program after I got the Green Card! I popped right to the enrolment centre to update my name and immigration status!

As for the number, I presume it is the MSC* number rather than the Alien Number (admittedly it might not be MSC for you but I think it'll be something like that!).

After manually entering your number, do you also type in your name? Or is it pulled automatically? (Not that it matters!)

Edited by simonschus

Haha, I'm looking forward to using my Green Card with it. Previously, it has always been my UK passport using the kiosks. I was quite happy when I checked and found out I could continue to use the program after I got the Green Card! I popped right to the enrolment centre to update my name and immigration status!

As for the number, I presume it is the MSC* number rather than the Alien Number (admittedly it might not be MSC for you but I think it'll be something like that!).

After manually entering your number, do you also type in your name? Or is it pulled automatically? (Not that it matters!)

You press the "find by document" option (there are 2 you can click on the touch screen - I can't remember the specific wording, but it's something like that), pick permanent resident card and enter the A number on your GC. It looks up your details from that (including your name)

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

You press the "find by document" option (there are 2 you can click on the touch screen - I can't remember the specific wording, but it's something like that), pick permanent resident card and enter the A number on your GC. It looks up your details from that (including your name)

Amazing, now I know exactly what to do if the scanning fails! I might even just type it in rather than bothering with scanning it! Thank you so much!! I don't think I had ever seen the "find by document" button before (or equivalent wording) so this is all super helpful!!

Amazing, now I know exactly what to do if the scanning fails! I might even just type it in rather than bothering with scanning it! Thank you so much!! I don't think I had ever seen the "find by document" button before (or equivalent wording) so this is all super helpful!!

It's one of two buttons the screen displays. I think most people don't notice, because they're too busy looking down at the scanner, messing with their passports. ;)

Nothing to worry about though - like I say, it's pretty obvious once you see it.

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

• 10 months later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 11/14/2016 at 4:56 PM, lost_at_sea said:

It's one of two buttons the screen displays. I think most people don't notice, because they're too busy looking down at the scanner, messing with their passports. ;)

Nothing to worry about though - like I say, it's pretty obvious once you see it.

Oh thank God! We've tried scanning a couple times now and it's never worked for us. I was really getting annoyed that we paid extra money and spent a lot of time obtaining this 'convenience' and then had to go through the regular line anyway because it wouldn't work. We'll give that a try next time we travel. Thanks!

2 hours ago, optlh0 said:

Oh thank God! We've tried scanning a couple times now and it's never worked for us. I was really getting annoyed that we paid extra money and spent a lot of time obtaining this 'convenience' and then had to go through the regular line anyway because it wouldn't work. We'll give that a try next time we travel. Thanks!

Also had a couple of issues with it being scanned but never got sent back to the regular line, there are always one or two dedicated GE guys around - at least at SFO and OAK - who manually did it and we still skipped the normal very very long lines...

after the 2nd time of it not working the very helpful GE guy actually looked it up and realized our cards had never been properly activated - so this may also be something for you to check. I didn’t quite figure out what the problem had been but it worked after that.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Also had a couple of issues with it being scanned but never got sent back to the regular line, there are always one or two dedicated GE guys around - at least at SFO and OAK - who manually did it and we still skipped the normal very very long lines...

after the 2nd time of it not working the very helpful GE guy actually looked it up and realized our cards had never been properly activated - so this may also be something for you to check. I didn’t quite figure out what the problem had been but it worked after that.

That's also great to know. Haven't seen the helpful GE people around (at least at the times we needed them) in Minneapolis or Chicago. Just the Customs guy telling us they have nothing to do with the kiosks...

• 1 year later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hello it sounds like too late to ask you guys but just wanted to make sure how to use GE at global entry kiosk. 

So that means we may place the photo-side up and place upside down like using with passport? Thanks for your advice. 

2 hours ago, Minniejp said:

Hello it sounds like too late to ask you guys but just wanted to make sure how to use GE at global entry kiosk. 

So that means we may place the photo-side up and place upside down like using with passport? Thanks for your advice. 

Depending on the port . . .  Some just use facial recognition.  Otherwise use an activated GE card , face up, or enter your A number on the touchscreen.

According to the instruction a GC can be used but we tried a few times and had no success.

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

*** Zombie thread locked.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.