gravity86

Will my B2 visa misrepresentation 2.5 years ago affect our CR1 application?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

Two plus years ago I applied for a tourist visa to visit my girlfriend in USA. The VO asked me what was the purpose of my visit, what I did for a living and who I was visiting. I did not say that she was my girlfriend, just gave her name. Then he asked what she did for a living (graphic designer), how we met (online), how long we had known each other (9 months). I could feel that the VO was focusing only on my (girl)friend as the questions kept on coming and I was being truthful all the way up to his last question.

He asked me "is she your girlfriend?" This is when I got nervous and said, "No, she is married."

I was afraid that if I told the VO that she is my girlfriend, their files would show her currently being legally married (though separated) to someone else and that her having a boyfriend would bring her legal problems back in States. I was nervous and tried to make the best possible decision under the circumstances.

I was denied the B2 visa and the subsequent B2 application as well. We decided to keep seeing each other when she visited me and I thought I'd reapply in a few years, once I had established myself in India (career, house etc.). We put the B2 application issue aside as at the time we had no plans on getting married or pursuing a life together, however that changed this year and we have decided to get married and apply for a CR1 visa.

I did not go in to the embassy planning on misrepresenting anything, however I walked out doing just that because I was scared of getting my girlfriend in trouble. At the time, we just wanted to see each other, nothing more.

Please go easy on me, I am truly trying to do the right thing and could use some advice. Yes, if asked I will only tell the truth from now on, but I cannot change the past. Needles to say, it was not one of my best moments.

Will this cause something horrendous in our CR1 application? Is there any way of remedying it, such as explaining all this to the CO?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

P.S: My GF was separated when we met. Her ex is an American. She has has never petitioned anyone before. Anything else, just ask away.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

You probably won't meet the same CO but you might be asked: Why did you apply for tourist visa before? and why were you denied? if you still remember what you told the CO back then you should give them the same answer. If they don't ask you if she was married when you met do NOT volunteer information, the shorter the interview the higher chances of being approved

I-129F Sent : 2016-04-27
I-129F NOA1 : 2016-05-03
I-129F NOA2 : 2016-07-11
NVC Received : 2016-08-04
PKT3 Received : 2016-08-10
Interview Date : 2016-10-31

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 69 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 181 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

Depends on the reason for your B2 denial(s); lack of ties (no impact), or misrepresentation (potential issue)?

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

It COULD be used against you at the CO's discretion. Be prepared for it to come up. If not, then good for you.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

The truth is she was still married just separated. The lie was you saying she is not your girlfriend.

It will come up in the interview I believe. Answer truthfully. Only you know when your relationship grew from friendship

to another level and exactly when she became your girlfriend.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

Thank you Ra&Re!

You probably won't meet the same CO but you might be asked: Why did you apply for tourist visa before? and why were you denied? if you still remember what you told the CO back then you should give them the same answer. If they don't ask you if she was married when you met do NOT volunteer information, the shorter the interview the higher chances of being approved

I do remember the conversation with the CO. I will only answer what I am asked, however this time around I cannot tell the CO that she was not my GF back then, because the reality is that we were. On the CR1 application, we will document this fact (that we were seeing each other prior to my B2 visa), so I won't be able to give the CO the same answer unfortunately.

I will tell the truth no matter what is asked, that is the best I can do from now on.

Timeline

Hello KierenHby,

I was told by the COs that it was the lack of ties (my age and the fact that I am in between jobs) and to re-apply when my situation changes.

Depends on the reason for your B2 denial(s); lack of ties (no impact), or misrepresentation (potential issue)?

Edited by gravity86

Timeline

Thank you Ebunoluwa!

The truth is she was still married just separated. The lie was you saying she is not your girlfriend.

It will come up in the interview I believe. Answer truthfully. Only you know when your relationship grew from friendship

to another level and exactly when she became your girlfriend.

Yes, that was my only slip. :oops:

I have to be honest about the whole thing going forward, so I will fess up to this "faux pas" if asked by the CO. I cannot deny the facts as our relationship timeline clearly shows that we were in fact a couple (gf/bf) prior to my B2 applications.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

there is nothing legally wrong with dating a married woman, some cultures do look down upon it though. they know you two were at least talking to each other before her divorce was finalized since they have all of the dates. besides the difference between a friend who happens to be female and a girlfriend is ones own personal preference. just be open and honest with the CO and I would think it would go ok. besides it is just another thing to add to your list of evidence you are in a relationship that a failed visa application Wil not keep you two apart.

Not sure if they will ask when relationship began....

I was it seems to be a routine question for k1 but for cr1 not sure since its a marriage vs engaged to marry.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thank you Ra&Re!

I do remember the conversation with the CO. I will only answer what I am asked, however this time around I cannot tell the CO that she was not my GF back then, because the reality is that we were. On the CR1 application, we will document this fact (that we were seeing each other prior to my B2 visa), so I won't be able to give the CO the same answer unfortunately.

I will tell the truth no matter what is asked, that is the best I can do from now on.

I think it will be semantics. Since she was married, how can she be someone's girlfriend? My fiance was refused a B2 three times in two years for 'no ties' not making enough money in his home country. His home country does not approve of same sex relationships and infact downright violent about it. So he was correct in not disclosing that at his B2 interview. The refusals never came up in his K1 visa interview. Hope this helps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Consistency is the key!

Going there to change your story will not earn you any brownie points. I can bet my solo cup on that, you will denied should you change your story.

Be consistent with whatever story you tell.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Consistency is the key!

Going there to change your story will not earn you any brownie points. I can bet my solo cup on that, you will denied should you change your story.

Be consistent with whatever story you tell.

Thanks IcezMan.

I told the CO that she was a friend and that I was going to the States to visit *her*. No matter how it looks, I will not lie again, hence I will have to mention that the only reason I responded with a "no" to his girlfriend question was due to the fear that it would cause her legal issues.

If my intentions were nefarious, I would not have even mentioned her. I would have used one of my college friends' (or a friend of a friends) name. I might not be able to change the past, but I can insure that I do not keep adding to the problem by feeding it more lies.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.