shoeman009

Failed K1 Reapplying for a new K1

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

As I have read other places and talked with several lawyers both here in the US and Thialand.

A lawyer prepared package carries more weight in some cases. The same as a represented home buyer with a pre approval letter. Yes It is a paper exercise. Yes I did do a good job the first time. It derailed on the interview.

From the correspondence I got from my senators office and the debriefing of my fiancé, we were denied for an IMBRA Clarification and the city we met in. They didn't believe her job.

The job we have fixed. Affidavits and such. The IMBRA was for a protective order out of a divorce. The order expires in 2 weeks. No arrests no charges no convictions. And I have affidavits and a transcript where the judge left in place as a modified no contact order. Had I known then I would have fought harder to get it dropped.

Now we have much more time together. Much more communication and I took my son with me to meet her family.

I was just spitballing things and timing.

Yes I could do a CR 1. I'm taking a gamble about another K1. I'd rather take this risk being guided by a professional. Had I known and had a lawyer this time I could have forced a review at the embassy. Missed that chance hence someone who knows the game but also the playing field would have been helpful.

Thanks for your answers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

As I have read other places and talked with several lawyers both here in the US and Thialand.

A lawyer prepared package carries more weight in some cases. The same as a represented home buyer with a pre approval letter. Yes It is a paper exercise. Yes I did do a good job the first time. It derailed on the interview.

From the correspondence I got from my senators office and the debriefing of my fiancé, we were denied for an IMBRA Clarification and the city we met in. They didn't believe her job.

The job we have fixed. Affidavits and such. The IMBRA was for a protective order out of a divorce. The order expires in 2 weeks. No arrests no charges no convictions. And I have affidavits and a transcript where the judge left in place as a modified no contact order. Had I known then I would have fought harder to get it dropped.

Now we have much more time together. Much more communication and I took my son with me to meet her family.

Yes I could do a CR 1. I'm taking a gamble about another K1. I'd rather take this risk being guided by a professional. Had I known and had a lawyer this time I could have forced a review at the embassy. Missed that chance hence someone who knows the game but also the playing field would have been helpful.

Thanks for your answers.

Since you seem like you really really really want a lawyer this time make sure you do your research on the person you hire. Lots of people on here with crappy lawyers who cause RFE for stupid stuff, lawyers who delay their application on purpose to make more money and some who frankly have no idea what the heck they are doing.

And I agree that you should marry and do CR1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks for your answers.

What was the problem with her job? As far as I know, only the petitioner's job matters to the process.

Well, as long as there are no objective requirements and one single person has all this discretion to believe or not stuff that are documented, without any chance of appeal, cases like yours will keep happening. I'm sorry for you and good luck on the next try.

What was the problem with her job? As far as I know, only the petitioner's job matters to the process.

Well, as long as there are no objective requirements and one single person has all this discretion to believe or not stuff that are documented, without any chance of appeal, cases like yours will keep happening. I'm sorry for you and good luck on the next try.

I would hazard a guess that they took it to mean she was working as a bar girl (most of the time assumed to be a hooker) or massage parlour worker (most of the time assumed to be a hooker) and along with the petitioners no contact order they decided to send the petition back to uscis which on a k1 will let it die a slow death.

So you now have documentation to show her job isn't what they think it is and the no contact order is coming to an end. Any chance the ex will apply for the no contact order to continue? You said you took your son to see her, was the ex ok with this? Could this prompt the ex to try and get another order?

Edited by Illiria

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline

Different X. First X is happy with this. We get along pretty well. Always have for raising the kids.

I don't think 2 nd X will apply to extend. It's been 2 years. I live 2 states away.

I've had no contact for a long time.

Very astute observation illiria on the situation. I wish others were as insightful and observant thank you.

Fingers crossed.

Timeline

I would hazard a guess that they took it to mean she was working as a bar girl (most of the time assumed to be a hooker) or massage parlour worker (most of the time assumed to be a hooker) and along with the petitioners no contact order they decided to send the petition back to uscis which on a k1 will let it die a slow death.

So you now have documentation to show her job isn't what they think it is and the no contact order is coming to an end. Any chance the ex will apply for the no contact order to continue? You said you took your son to see her, was the ex ok with this? Could this prompt the ex to try and get another order?

I think they assume too much...

What is this no contact order?

US legal system is different and I'm a law bachelor, so I'm just curious about how this affects a case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It's better to go through another medical, not only it will be related to new case number but also to avoid medical with civil surgeon here in US during AOS process.

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

Thanks :-) Glad your sons mom is ok with it and that you have a good co-parenting situation, always best for the kids. Was good your son got to meet her and her family, springing it on kids is the worst thing and can lead to acceptance issues.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A "No Contact" order is a civil filing akin to an order of protection. In other words, X does not want Y to initiate contact (no phone calls, no letters, no e-mail, text, pulling up in the driveway, etc.). It is also commonly known as an ex-parte (there's you law school Latin, AP16). Violating an order may result in arrest or jail based on contempt of the court order. In Shoeman009's defense, Americans often use ex-parte (No Contact) orders as a means to punish, harass, or intimidate the other partner. Also, some lawyers use No Contact orders as a prejudicial move and/or as legal bait. For one, a No Contact order makes the receiving party look dangerous/evil. Also, if the receiver of the order can be "baited" into violating it, well...the case gets easier. I worked in a law firm that loved to lure unsuspecting men into violating protection orders. It's easy to do. It's wrong, but common.

Timeline

A "No Contact" order is a civil filing akin to an order of protection. In other words, X does not want Y to initiate contact (no phone calls, no letters, no e-mail, text, pulling up in the driveway, etc.). It is also commonly known as an ex-parte (there's you law school Latin, AP16). Violating an order may result in arrest or jail based on contempt of the court order. In Shoeman009's defense, Americans often use ex-parte (No Contact) orders as a means to punish, harass, or intimidate the other partner. Also, some lawyers use No Contact orders as a prejudicial move and/or as legal bait. For one, a No Contact order makes the receiving party look dangerous/evil. Also, if the receiver of the order can be "baited" into violating it, well...the case gets easier. I worked in a law firm that loved to lure unsuspecting men into violating protection orders. It's easy to do. It's wrong, but common.

Oh I understand, thank you for your answer.

Actually we have something similar in Brazil's legal system, but it's not that common. Divorces here are not that "agressive", most of the times.

Filed: Timeline

Lets keep on topic here guys.

Shoeman you say had you known then. Im sorry that this is coming as a shock to you. A RO or TPO or CPO depending on where you live is a BIG deal. It can cause a revoke of security clearance, complicate a background check, affect credit, renting an apartment, obstruct job opportunities, and restrict or prohibit the use of a firearm. In fact the federal clause prohibits any weapons like knives, guns, grenades, ammo, even collectible swords etc.

It seems what happened is the Embassy wanted a reason to deny you so they found it. A review while it was at the Embassy wouldve shown the IMBRA charge was a non issue. Im hesistant to say having an attny wouldve avoided that. There are far too many stories on here from people who had a complex case and used an attny only to find the attny had no experience with complicated cases. Many attnys make a living submitting immigration paperwork and 99 percent of the time it will be just standard. So if you are going to invest in an attny instead of another trip to marry then make sure you do research. Ask questions that you know the answer to and see what their response is. Most attnys also charge a standard fee and if it gets complicated then they want more money so prepare for that.

You also have to have the most information you can about the denial. You referenced so far age, IMBRA, and her job. You seem to have the job under control. For the age difference theres not much you can do besides showing more proof of the relationship. I have to say I agree with your reasonings about using a lawyer- Often times it seems denials are issued and the fact that you come back helps prove the point that you are legit. Same goes for investing money in an attny. If you werent serious you wouldnt do that.

For the IMBRA- part of it is the Embassy rejecting it and sending it back for review incorrectly and the other part is the actual interview. I can link you some pdfs on IMBRA but thay are easily found on google. Basically as it relates to you is the USCIS did a background check. Your offense (dont know what else to call it) is not on any list of excludable offenses nor is it something that needs a waiver. All it needs is to be disclosed to the intending immigrant by the Embassy and the immigrant to acknowledge it and still want to continue with the visa.

Often times the CO will use this as a test for the immigrant. They try to see how much they know about it. If it matches the info on the paper they have etc. Mismatching answers causes problems. How your fiancee responded to it can cause problems. You need to get your fiancee a copy of the report etc. You do have time now that you are re filing to gather it up. Transcripts (very cheap from the clerk), the actual order, even the initial complaint. Most dont know they are entiled to that. When someone requests an order they fill out a form and make a sworn statement as to why they want/need it. This is on file with the court somewhere. Most offenders are not aware of this and simply go into court unprepared for what they are even being accused of.

This also appears to be your 3rd marriage? Thats a bit of a flag which didnt come up this time but may the next time around. The only way to prepare for that is to show a legit relationship and if you can proof of the reasons why the previous marriage failed. It seems wife 2 had an affair and probably wife 1 was when you were too young to know what you were getting yourself into.

But anyway I wish you guys luck. And thank you to Kay for posting the correct info on k1 medicals. I havent been in the K process or forums in years so sorry about that.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Thread back open, one post instigating unnecessary drama removed. Heed what is quoted below, failure to do so will result in appropriate action being taken.***

Lets keep on topic here guys.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I am not 100% sure and can not find any reference but I think that with a second K1 for the same beneficiary with a technically still valid

under 6 months medical, a new medical is needed simply because it is a new petition. Can anyone confirm this with a link ?

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Well for all those that replied I thank you. I posted another thread about this, but wanted to add to this one.

My original petition was reaffirmed by the USCIS and sent back to the NVC / Embassy.

I had tried to withdrawl in preparation for the new K1 but it evidently got lost. In the meantime the original was reaffirmed !

So I've withdrawn k1 #2 and USCIS says it's all good on their end.

I'm beyond shocked but very pleased.

Edited by shoeman009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.