Otto1

Moving from foreign country

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Or she can do what my husband did. Gave away all the stuff that wouldn't fit in the suitcases to his sisters boyfriend, including several not so cheap items and many gifts.

Yes, I'm still annoyed about it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I can speak with experience on this. Within a few months of socializing with your family and friends, she will realize most of her clothes, while fashionable in Russia, is NOT considered fashionable in the USA. What women wear here is much more conservative. It will be highly likely that you will be replacing most of her wardrobe within the first year.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm in Russia currently, visiting my fiance. First, I can't believe there is a single Russian girl who owns 20 suitcases of clothes. The apartments here are tiny! I suppose maybe she could live in a huge, luxurious apartment or house. Second, what gregcrs2 said is almost absolutely right. Most Russian and European fashions would look ridiculous in the U.S. She should bring only the clothes she absolutely loves, save a few boxes for another trip, and then get rid of the rest. She could sell them in a second hand shop, give them to a friend or family member, or maybe even ask a friend or family member to just store them in case she changes her mind.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I brought 1 little suitcase of clothes with me. Then asked a friend to bring me a few more things. Then my parents came to visit a couple of times but I didn't ask them to bring anything. Actually, I remember wearing clothes from Russia maybe for the first 6 months. Then I started buying in US and, trust me, it's a LOT CHEAPER. Like 2,5 times cheaper. When I go to Russia, I go to the stores that we don't have in US (like BeFree and etc) and buy stuff there but that's about it. So no need to spend so much money of UPS (I sent some stuff TO Russia, Moscow in particular, paid $89 for 8lbs.) Better to sell most of it or give away to relatives and friends.

My friends and parents usually buy clothes when they come visit me in US, it's cheaper, better quality and there are more available choices. It's never the other way around.

But, there are things that's hard to find in US. I live near New York with a huge Russian speaking community and there are dozens of stores that sell food and books, souvenirs and even furniture made in Russia or Belarus (FYI, avoid buying it lol), but it might be expensive. So I brought all of my favorite books (like 3 suitcases in 6 years), college textbooks (it's $5-15 in Russia and sometimes $100+ in US), collectibles (rare CDs for me), first toys and memorable things from my childhood, pictures. That's about it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree. She came to US in May and left most things here. She will visit this month and this airline allows 2 so will leave many things. I am trying to convince her if this to just keep important items only

I agree. She came to US in May and left most things here. She will visit this month and this airline allows 2 so will leave many things. I am trying to convince her if this to just keep important items only

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

20 suitcases? then you should have at least a HUGE walking closet for her, it doesn't make sense to bring all clothes if she doesn't have a properly place to storage the clothes.

I hope you have a GREAT income in the USA because clearly she loves to shop. Considering the amount of clothes for sure she has a GREAT salary in Russia.

Edited by sandranj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello, anyone have ideas/suggestions about moving personal items from another country? maybe this is not the place to post and I know most people are in the same stage of the process. My fiancé lives in Russia. We are hoping she will have fiancé visa by November. She wants to bring most of her clothes to US. Is this just not practical? It would be maybe equivalent to say 20 suitcases full. Do most people just come with what they can carry o the plane? Thank you

When I was moving I just gave away most of the stuff to the red cross and went with checkin bag full of cloth

most of the services of this kind working one way, from USA (shopping stuff) to post soviet countries with the rate of $10-15 per kg

It will be cheaper to just buy new stuff without complex logistics

although here's the link where you can find list of some popular and verified delivery providers providers http://polnakorzina.ru/%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%B7%D0%BE%D1%80-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2-%D1%81%D1%88%D0%B0

you can contact them and find out if they will want to delived something that big from russia to usa

You can also try to use "shared container" services but it will be still pricey ($200-300 per CBM) and will take your time to get the shipment from nearby port

Oh, what a day, what a lovely day!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

We have enlisted a few close friends and family who will be coming for the wedding to bring an extra suitcase or box with my fiance's necessities in them. We'll unpack my fiance's things and then they have an empty suitcase to fill up with clothes they buy here. Apparently clothes (jeans especially) a much less expensive here than in the UK and our groomsmen are all dying to visit the Nike factory stores here in Portland.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

That's a great idea.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

20 suitcases... holy moly... is your fiance a fashion model in Russia? :)

Kidding aside, I admire you for even entertaining her desire to transport that much clothes and personal property to the United States. Most of us would've said "are you kidding?" and tried to convince her to carry one tenth of that. But I guess there's security there, coz if she's willing to bring in that much stuff, then she's preparing for the long haul and saving you a ton of money on new clothes (again I ask, is she a fashion model?).

In any case, good luck and congratulations!

K1 Timeline:

02/28/2014 - I-129F Submitted
04/08/2014 - I-129F NOA2 Received

07/03/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 1 (Result: Sputum Culture)

09/18/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 2 (Result: Passed)

10/14/2014 - K1 Visa Interview (Result: Approved)

10/23/2014 - K1 Visa Issued

11/09/2014 - Entered USA (POE: Los Angeles)

01/02/2015 - Wedding Day

AOS Timeline:

03/02/2015 - I-485 Submitted (with I-765 & I-131)

03/13/2015 - I-485 NOA Received (with NOA for I-765 & I-131)

03/30/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

05/12/2015 - I-785 & I-131 Approved

05/20/2015 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

06/10/2015 - AOS Interview (Result: Approved)

06/18/2015 - Conditional Green Card Received

ROC Timeline:

05/15/2017 - I-751 Submitted 
05/26/2017 - I-751 NOA Received 
06/13/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

07/18/2017 - Extension NOA Received (twelve month extension)
03/05/2018 - I-751 Received by Local Office
04/20/2018 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on Passport, six-month extension)

06/18/2018 - Extension NOA Received (eighteen month extension)

10/29/2019 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on new Passport)

11/06/2019 - I-751 Approved

11/14/2019 - Permanent Green Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I brought three suitcases on the plane and shipped eight boxes with air freight, it arrived four days after me and cost about $1,000. A lot of the stuff I brought were glassware and kitchenware though. 20 suitcases of clothes sounds a lot, when does she wear all that stuff?!?! Tell her to sort out her wardrobe, she's not gonna wear those pretty dresses and Jimmy Choo's in Nebraska so there's no point to bring them. I brought so much of that stuff with me and I have yet to use any of it, it was just a waste of time, effort and money to bring those kinds of clothes over.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.