loraanth

Help! after meeting for the first time, should we do the k1 or k3 visa?

28 posts in this topic

Did we ever find out if the boyfriend is even a citizen?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

You have to meet at least once for either the K1 or the CR1. Look through the comparison chart and figure out which one is better for you.

• Is working right away important?
  • Will you need to travel sooner vs later?
  • Do you need to drive right away?
  • Where do you want to get married?
  • Who do you want to be there?
  • Is if better to live together faster or can you wait longer?
  • Is the idea of not living together after marriage okay with you or not?
  • Do you have any children that would also need a visa?

Answers to some of these types of questions are important to picking the right path for you as a couple.

Along with - do you want children? Is religion a big deal? How will you deal with day to day finances? Who will work? Where will you live? How do you feel about sex and intimacy? How do you show someone you love them? What household expectations do you have? Who cleans? Who cooks? Who does laundry? Are you neat and tidy or don't really care?

These are more personal in nature and not immigration related but questions I think people don't tend to have with significant others who live out of country (and sometimes who do.)

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

:no:

No nada zilch

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the marriage is less than two years old they would be getting a CR-1 and would still have to file additional paperwork to remove the conditional status of that visa.

Oh yea, thanks for adding that! I forgot to mention it :)

what additional paperworks will that be?

Timeline

Since money is an issue, OP should also take into account that the K1 to GC route is more expensive than CR1 to GC route.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

money is not an issue anymore since he already has a job , so we can choose either K1 or CR1

Timeline

Is the boyfriend a US citizen? You mentioned him being Filipino but living in California. If he's not yet a citizen and just an LPR then you can't do a K-1 visa. Only US citizens can file a K-1. LPRs can only bring spouses into the country, not girlfriends.

yes guys, he's a citizen, he was born there, parents and family are all there.

Timeline

IMBRA = International Marriage Broker Regulation Act

OP If your fiance does not have a job or only a recent job, how does he expect to qualify for the fiance/spousal visa requirement of having an income above 125% poverty for minimum 2-3 years?

If you are in Saudi then where do you plan to meet your fiance? You most likely cannot get a visitor visa to the US since you are from Philippines unless you have a large bank account or high value house in Philippines as proof you have monetary ties to your country to out-weigh the risk you will over stay your visa, so meeting in the US is most likely not an option for you. regardless if you choose a fiance visa or spousal visa, you will be required to meet!

I highly suggest you plan to meet in Philippines for minimum 1 week together, take LOTS of pictures together and some of him with your family, save all identifying receipts such as airline boarding passes, bus tickets, hotel reservation/receipts, retail receipts with names or debit/credit card last 4 numbers. Wait till he has at least 1 full year of income tax statements above 125% poverty level before he files your visa petition!

Fiance visa is much less complicated and faster to process it takes only 3-5 months start to finish on average, i have seen some Manila embassy processed in 9 weeks.

Spousal visa takes much more time because there is a lot more investigating USCIS need to do for your case and more documents they need to prepare, especially if you marry outside the US because USCIS will not have direct access to your marriage records in another country.

I would suggest K1 fiance visa, because its much less complicated and faster than a marriage visa.

Best Wishes, Good Luck!!

OP If your fiance does not have a job or only a recent job, how does he expect to qualify for the fiance/spousal visa requirement of having an income above 125% poverty for minimum 2-3 years?

- does he need to be employed for a year? if youre going to compute his hourly wage, he will have an income above 125%

I highly suggest you plan to meet in Philippines for minimum 1 week together, take LOTS of pictures together and some of him with your family, save all identifying receipts such as airline boarding passes, bus tickets, hotel reservation/receipts, retail receipts with names or debit/credit card last 4 numbers. Wait till he has at least 1 full year of income tax statements above 125% poverty level before he files your visa petition!

-We will meet in the Philippines and yes we plan on doing all of those you've mentioned, what if he doesnt have a full year of income tax, is there any other option we can do?

K1 requires an Adjustment of status. Both k1 and CR1 will need the removal of conditions you gain LPR status before your 2 year wedding anniversary.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

See this guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

Edited by YoungRL

USCIS

I-130 sent (Phoenix Lockbox): June 04, 2016

NOA1 received: June 10, 2016

Transferred from Nebraska to Texas: October 20, 2016

NOA2 received: December 14, 2016

NVC

Case number assigned: January 06, 2017

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

I'm in the same situation. My boyfriend is Filipino, and I'm an American woman (whom can not enter Saudi) First, if you are living in Saudi you will not be interviewing at the embassy in the Philippines. You will interview at the embassy in Riyhad. Also, due to me not being able to travel to Saudi, we instead spent time in Bahrain which is about a 30 min drive from Saudi. This could save you a lot of money if you have a re-entry visa for Saudi. Considering you are planning on going to the Philippines, I'm assuming you do.

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

- does he need to be employed for a year? if youre going to compute his hourly wage, he will have an income above 125%

-We will meet in the Philippines and yes we plan on doing all of those you've mentioned, what if he doesnt have a full year of income tax, is there any other option we can do?

Can't he just get a co-sponsor for the I-134f and I-864?

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

ok so cr1 it is. thanks!

@Kastrs the thing is, after the marriage, he wants to file it right away... is that a red flag too?

okay, revising my post from K3 since this is obsolete to CR-1 (thanks for telling me this)

As I stated if you are planning to meet once and only once, you are safer filing a K1, but if you will get married now and then have a few more visits prior to your interview this should be ok

just as an FYI I married my husband about a week after we met in person after having chatted online for about a year and a half, I had 3 visits total before our interview going through Islamabad, we had no issues , and I filed the petition about a month after we were married (when I returned to the US)

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

I agree with the rest, you need to meet to know the person especially with the differences in culture (even though he is pinoy)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.