loraanth

Help! after meeting for the first time, should we do the k1 or k3 visa?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys! this is my very first post here! (sorry if I'm asking a noob question)

I just want to share you my story. Im a 26-yr old Filipina girl (currently working in Saudi Arabia) that has a 26-yr old Filipino boyfriend in California, I haven't met him yet in person but we've been talking for almost 3 years online on Skype,Facebook and Hangouts, due to money problems before since he doesn't have work,he was not able to visit me and when he got a job, I'm already here in Saudi (which is not a good place for visiting a girl or else they will imprison us), due to those circumstances,our relationship was just online, but we will meet each other this December. His parents already knows me and they really like me, they've even sent me a package here in Saudi and they want us to get married ON DECEMBER RIGHT AWAY, AFTER MEETING FOR THE FIRST TIME!! We also want that too but I've read on some posts that marrying right away after meeting for the first time is a big no-no (red flag) which made us confused if we should just engaged first or get married right away.

I would really appreciate it if you will give your inputs and if we should do the K1 fiance or K3 spousal visa, any pro's and con's you can provide is greatly appreciated

Would imbra qualify in this instance due to not being able to meet???

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Would imbra qualify in this instance due to not being able to meet???

Highly unlikely. There's no hardship or religion reasons for not meeting, just didn't have the money or didn't go to a third country to meet.

Op, k3 are obsolete, if you marry before filing, you'll go for a cr1 visa, filing a i130 petition.

Depending if the country it is not advisable to marry in your first meeting, but the Philippines seem very laid back about it. Personally, I suggest you meeting a few times first before deciding to get married.

Go to the guides list, forums, read as much as you can, weigh the pros and cons so you can decide. It's really up to you and your personal preferences.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

OP indicated they ARE meeting in December

OP if you want to get married in the US then you should pursue a fiance (K1) visa, if you choose to get married in December then you should pursue a spousal (CR1 visa) either way read the guides on this page from a computer to get an idea of what each process entails

The K3 is basically obsolete and not worth pursing

As for getting married on the first visit, if it is your one and only visit that could be problematic, but if you for example get married in December and then have 2 more visits before the interview, then that should not be a problem. If you do not have any plan to visit again after December, it might be better to pursue a fiance visa.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Highly unlikely. There's no hardship or religion reasons for not meeting, just didn't have the money or didn't go to a third country to meet.

Op, k3 are obsolete, if you marry before filing, you'll go for a cr1 visa, filing a i130 petition.

Depending if the country it is not advisable to marry in your first meeting, but the Philippines seem very laid back about it. Personally, I suggest you meeting a few times first before deciding to get married.

Go to the guides list, forums, read as much as you can, weigh the pros and cons so you can decide. It's really up to you and your personal preferences.

Good luck.

ok so cr1 it is. thanks!

OP indicated they ARE meeting in December

OP if you want to get married in the US then you should pursue a fiance (K1) visa, if you choose to get married in December then you should pursue a spousal (CR1 visa) either way read the guides on this page from a computer to get an idea of what each process entails

The K3 is basically obsolete and not worth pursing

As for getting married on the first visit, if it is your one and only visit that could be problematic, but if you for example get married in December and then have 2 more visits before the interview, then that should not be a problem. If you do not have any plan to visit again after December, it might be better to pursue a fiance visa.

@Kastrs the thing is, after the marriage, he wants to file it right away... is that a red flag too?

Hi guys! this is my very first post here! (sorry if I'm asking a noob question)

I just want to share you my story. Im a 26-yr old Filipina girl (currently working in Saudi Arabia) that has a 26-yr old Filipino boyfriend in California, I haven't met him yet in person but we've been talking for almost 3 years online on Skype,Facebook and Hangouts, due to money problems before since he doesn't have work,he was not able to visit me and when he got a job, I'm already here in Saudi (which is not a good place for visiting a girl or else they will imprison us), due to those circumstances,our relationship was just online, but we will meet each other this December. His parents already knows me and they really like me, they've even sent me a package here in Saudi and they want us to get married ON DECEMBER RIGHT AWAY, AFTER MEETING FOR THE FIRST TIME!! We also want that too but I've read on some posts that marrying right away after meeting for the first time is a big no-no (red flag) which made us confused if we should just engaged first or get married right away.

I would really appreciate it if you will give your inputs and if we should do the K1 fiance or K3 spousal visa, any pro's and con's you can provide is greatly appreciated

okay, revising my post from K3 since this is obsolete to CR-1 (thanks for telling me this)

Edited by loraanth

Good luck.

Ok wasnt sure :energy:

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

I think if you and your boyfriend are concerned about spending more time apart, I suggest applying for a K1 fiance visa. It's a faster process than cr1/ir1 (although you will have to file additional paperwork after 2yrs). As long as you have lots of solid evidence that your relationship is real (e.g. Chat logs, pictures, etc.) you shouldn't have any problems. You can arrive in the US within 6mon of filing, and get married within 90 days of arrival.

But if you would rather the CR1/IR1, there is no problem filing as soon as possible, as long as (I emphasize this) you have solid proof of a bona fide marriage. But they will definitely question the fact that you got married on the first meeting (biggest red flag!) though, so you would need to show proof that you have plans on visiting each other again during the visa process.

Edited by xmaricrisx

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): February 20, 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: February 26, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: May 6, 2016 (71 days from NOA1)
Petition sent to NVC text & email: May 11, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: May 26, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: May 27, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: June 2, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: June 3, 2016
Pay IV Fee: June 3, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: June 6, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: June 7, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via FedEx): June 8, 2016
Scan date: June 9, 2016
CC: July 14, 2016 (FINALLY saw 3rd N/A... 35 days after scan date)
Confirmation of CC email received: July 21, 2016
Interview date received over the phone: July 26, 2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: August 5, 2016
Medical Exam (@SLEC): August 3-4, 2016

Sputum samples given: August 15-17, 2016

Pulmo Consultation: August 18, 2016 (sputum smear is NEGATIVE!)

Results of sputum culture: October 12, 2016 (NEGATIVE!)

Completed: October 17, 2016
Interview date: October 24, 2016 (APPROVED! case status ISSUED the same day) :content:

Visa ready for pickup @MOA (via 2GO tracking): October 26, 2016

Visa in hand: October 27, 2016

Pay Greencard Fee: October 27, 2016

POE: November 6, 2016 (L)

SSN received (via USPS): November 14, 2016

10-year Greencard received (via USPS): December 17, 2016 (41 days after POE) :dance:

I think if you and your boyfriend are concerned about spending more time apart, I suggest applying for a K1 fiance visa. It's a faster process than cr1/ir1 (although you will have to file additional paperwork after 2yrs). As long as you have lots of solid evidence that your relationship is real (e.g. Chat logs, pictures, etc.) you shouldn't have any problems. You can arrive in the US within 6mon of filing, and get married within 90 days of arrival.

But if you would rather the CR1/IR1, there is no problem filing as soon as possible, as long as (I emphasize this) you have solid proof of a bona fide marriage. But they will definitely question the fact that you got married on the first meeting (biggest red flag!) though, so you would need to show proof that you have plans on visiting each other again during the visa process.

If the marriage is less than two years old they would be getting a CR-1 and would still have to file additional paperwork to remove the conditional status of that visa.

USCIS

I-130 sent (Phoenix Lockbox): June 04, 2016

NOA1 received: June 10, 2016

Transferred from Nebraska to Texas: October 20, 2016

NOA2 received: December 14, 2016

NVC

Case number assigned: January 06, 2017

If the marriage is less than two years old they would be getting a CR-1 and would still have to file additional paperwork to remove the conditional status of that visa.

Oh yea, thanks for adding that! I forgot to mention it :)

USCIS Process:
Sent I-130 (via USPS): February 20, 2016
NOA1 hardcopy received: February 26, 2016
NOA2 approval text & email: May 6, 2016 (71 days from NOA1)
Petition sent to NVC text & email: May 11, 2016

NVC Process:
Case number and IIN Assigned: May 26, 2016
Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee Invoiced: May 27, 2016
Pay AOS Fee: May 27, 2016
AOS Fee appeared as PAID: June 2, 2016
IV Fee Invoiced: June 3, 2016
Pay IV Fee: June 3, 2016
IV Fee appeared as PAID: June 6, 2016
IV application (DS-260) completed: June 7, 2016
Sent AOS & IV packets (via FedEx): June 8, 2016
Scan date: June 9, 2016
CC: July 14, 2016 (FINALLY saw 3rd N/A... 35 days after scan date)
Confirmation of CC email received: July 21, 2016
Interview date received over the phone: July 26, 2016

Interview Process:
Interview letter/P4 received via email: August 5, 2016
Medical Exam (@SLEC): August 3-4, 2016

Sputum samples given: August 15-17, 2016

Pulmo Consultation: August 18, 2016 (sputum smear is NEGATIVE!)

Results of sputum culture: October 12, 2016 (NEGATIVE!)

Completed: October 17, 2016
Interview date: October 24, 2016 (APPROVED! case status ISSUED the same day) :content:

Visa ready for pickup @MOA (via 2GO tracking): October 26, 2016

Visa in hand: October 27, 2016

Pay Greencard Fee: October 27, 2016

POE: November 6, 2016 (L)

SSN received (via USPS): November 14, 2016

10-year Greencard received (via USPS): December 17, 2016 (41 days after POE) :dance:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum; multiple processes are being discussed.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Since money is an issue, OP should also take into account that the K1 to GC route is more expensive than CR1 to GC route.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Is the boyfriend a US citizen? You mentioned him being Filipino but living in California. If he's not yet a citizen and just an LPR then you can't do a K-1 visa. Only US citizens can file a K-1. LPRs can only bring spouses into the country, not girlfriends.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

After reading the posts, maybe more information is needed for good advice. See how your visit goes and then start the plan. The boyfriend needs to be able to support you and meet the US guidelines. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

I'm already here in Saudi (which is not a good place for visiting a girl or else they will imprison us), due to those circumstances,our relationship was just online

Why I asked about IMBRA....:help:

K1 March Filer 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

IMBRA = International Marriage Broker Regulation Act

As far as i know, It is against the family visa petition rules in the US to use a marriage broker (mail order bride) service, and if you used a marriage broker to find your fiance or wife then your fiance or spousal visa will most likely be denied.

OP If your fiance does not have a job or only a recent job, how does he expect to qualify for the fiance/spousal visa requirement of having an income above 125% poverty for minimum 2-3 years?

If you are in Saudi then where do you plan to meet your fiance? You most likely cannot get a visitor visa to the US since you are from Philippines unless you have a large bank account or high value house in Philippines as proof you have monetary ties to your country to out-weigh the risk you will over stay your visa, so meeting in the US is most likely not an option for you. regardless if you choose a fiance visa or spousal visa, you will be required to meet!

I highly suggest you plan to meet in Philippines for minimum 1 week together, take LOTS of pictures together and some of him with your family, save all identifying receipts such as airline boarding passes, bus tickets, hotel reservation/receipts, retail receipts with names or debit/credit card last 4 numbers. Wait till he has at least 1 full year of income tax statements above 125% poverty level before he files your visa petition!

Fiance visa is much less complicated and faster to process it takes only 3-5 months start to finish on average, i have seen some Manila embassy processed in 9 weeks.

Spousal visa takes much more time because there is a lot more investigating USCIS need to do for your case and more documents they need to prepare, especially if you marry outside the US because USCIS will not have direct access to your marriage records in another country.

I would suggest K1 fiance visa, because its much less complicated and faster than a marriage visa.

Best Wishes, Good Luck!!

You can use a marriage broker, it just needs to be disclosed....nothing wrong or illegal about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.