quesma

Applied for AOS. I have a medical question (merged)

40 posts in this topic

Hi. I came to US on a K1 visa. I married within 90 days and now I have applied for Adjustment of Status and the case is pending. After a month I came here I went to hospital due to fever in the middle of the night. I was taken to emergency. The nurse or the doctor checked me and gave me just two tablets and sent me home. A week ago I got a hefty bill of over $4000. I am now in a big problem. I want to get help to pay this off. Can I get Medi-Cal insurance to pay this bill? My wife in unemployed and I am waiting on my EAD card to start working. I am a qualified engineer and expect to make a good living but cant do that yet as I do not have my EAD yet. Please help!!!

i feel bad for you man. your best bet will be to have a payment setup with them. like pay $20/month.they will agree to it.let me tell you something that lot of people will not like. the cost of healthcare in the US is not worth the money it cost. just take your case. this is ridiculous that they sent you this. i haven been through that.sometime what they do is turn you over to collections and collections sometime offer you to settle the balance like 50% of what you owe. there is no escape to this.

if you both are in a lower level of incomes you probably can apply for madicaid. it work only in emergencies an allow you to buy medicine in a lower cost. you should visit the web pages of your city / state health plan´s to see your eligibility

Filed: Timeline

I am wondering how you got approved for a K-1 if your wife is not working. What does she do for insurance? When you go to a hospital, you are responsible for the bill. Lesson learned, not being a smart-a$$, go to a walk-in clinic, which is much cheaper, unless you are in a life or death situation. When you use a service, you are expected to pay. I'll bet the hospital will work with you on a payment plan. You need to call them, explain your case, and see if you can work out a payment plan.

Perhaps before you start judging you should take the time to read more carefully. OP said they had the fever in the middle of the night. These urgent care centers you talk about do not open 24/7. OP knows they are responsible for the bill, no need putting salt in their wound. If you ave nothing constructive to say, perhaps don't say a thing.

You talk you teach, you listen you learn

Filed: IR-5 Country: Seychelles
Timeline

You or your wife should call the hospital and explain to them your financial situation. Most likely they will mail you forms to fill out and send back, and they might waive the fees, depending on financial status and copies of taxes, bank statement and all that you have to provide them.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I am here on B1/B2 and adjusting my status. I had an accident few month ago and now having around $5000 medical bill. I couldnt pay all at once so i spoke to the hospital about my intention to pay by installment of $100 each month. They accepted. You can try to talk to your hospital staff too.

4/15/2016 : Mailed I-130

4/21/2016 : Received text and email from USCIS assigned Receipt Number [Day 1 I-130]

4/25/2016 : Received NOA I-797C Priority Date : April 18, 2016 [Day 5 I-130]

5/6/2016 : Visit Doctor for TB Test, X-Ray, Blood Works & Fill in I-693

5/9/2016 : Visit Doctor again to check result, X-Ray & Blood work all passed but reacted to TB Skin Test (Doctor said it is normal as many ppl had BCG before...not sure why.) :huh2:

5/10/2016 : Doctor sent form to TB Clinic for TB Clearance :clock::clock::clock:

5/18/2016 : Still no words from Doctor, decided to send I-485 to Chicago Lockbox first

5/19/2016 : I-485 package picked up and sent [Day 29 I-130]

5/24/2016 : I-485 package delivered and received by USCIS [Day 34 I-130] [Day 1 I-485]

5/27/2016 : Received 3 texts and emails from USCIS assigned MSC Receipt Number [Day 37 I-130] [Day 4 I-485]

5/31/2016 : Received 3 x NOA I-797C for I-485, I-131, I-765 Priority Date : April 18, 2016 [Day 41 I-130] [Day 8 I-485]

6/15/2016 : I-130 was approved! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: [Day 57 I-130] [Day 23 I-485]

6/18/2016 : Received biometric appointment letter [Day 60 I-130] [Day 26 I-485]

6/20/2016 : Received NOA2 for I-130 Approval Letter, case was sent to NVC. [Day 62 I-130] [Day 27 I-485]

6/21/2016 : Sent email to NVC and request transfer of the visa petition to National Benefit Center. [Day 63 I-130] [Day 29 I-485]

6/23/2016 : Biometric Walk in Successful at Tukwila Office WA [Day 65 I-130] [Day 31 I-485]

6/23/2016 : Email sent to NVC request transfer of I-130 to NBC. Response from NVC, still haven't received my I-130 file. Wait 8 weeks.

6/24/2016 : I-130 visa petition was sent to the Department of State. [Day 66 I-130] [Day 31 I-485]

6/30/2016 : Original Biometric appointment [Day 72 I-130] [Day 37 I-485]

7/11/2016 : Called NVC. Approved I-130 received by NVC on July 6. [Day 83 i-130] [Day 48 I-485]

7/14/2016 : Case is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview :content: :content: :content: :content: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: [Day 86 i-130] [Day 51 I-485]

7/21/2016 : NVC sent Case Number by email, Email sent to NVC request a transfer of approved petition to MSC for interview. [Day 93 I-130] [Day 60 I-485]

8/8/2016 : Submitted Service Request online [Day 78 I-485]

8/11/2016 : EAD Card is being produced. [Day 81 I-485]

8/12/2016 : EAD & AP approved. [Day 82 I-485]

8/15/2016 : Status changed to Card Was Mailed to Me. [Day 85 I-485]

8/18/2016 : EAD & AP Combo Card Received. [Day 88]

11/3/2016 : Interview Date scheduled on Dec 2, 2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

if you both are in a lower level of incomes you probably can apply for madicaid. it work only in emergencies an allow you to buy medicine in a lower cost. you should visit the web pages of your city / state health plan´s to see your eligibility

no, this is a means tested benefit and as a permanent resident he cannot apply for any means tested benefits.

no, this is a means tested benefit and as a permanent resident he cannot apply for any means tested benefits.

1. He is not a permanent resident yet, and any Affidavit of Support does not apply yet.

2. Emergency Medicaid is exempted from Affidavit of Support liabilities

3. Even if he is a permanent resident already (which he is not) and is getting a benefit that is not exempted from Affidavit of Support liabilities, the permanent resident is not under any restrictions or obligations whatsoever. The sponsor(s) is the only one who signed anything and it's only the sponsor who might be potentially liable for certain benefits the immigrant gets after becoming a permanent resident.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Perhaps before you start judging you should take the time to read more carefully. OP said they had the fever in the middle of the night. These urgent care centers you talk about do not open 24/7. OP knows they are responsible for the bill, no need putting salt in their wound. If you ave nothing constructive to say, perhaps don't say a thing.

Yeah for fevers you keep ibuprofen or acetaminophen at home or you take a cold shower. The ER is for having a heart attack or similar, fever is for drop in clinics and your general doctor in the morning when they open.

Before you start judging me, I did read the post. A fever in the middle of the night is not exactly a huge emergency. That's not a judgment, it's a fact. He didn't sound like he knew he was responsible. It sounds like he is trying to get it paid for by some other means. If everybody could come here and get free medical until they have a green card, they would be doing it. I think some folks play the "judgment" card way too much. Facts and realities are not the same as judgment.

I always assumed the Affidavit of Support becomes effective as soon as the person steps into the USA. Why would it wait and be started at a later date? I will have to add my husband to my insurance (at 400+ a month) in October since that is the only "open enrollment" time for my health insurance. And he probably won't be here for a long time. But I assume it's my responsibility to make sure he has health insurance when he gets here.

Edited by Love To Teach

Before you start judging me, I did read the post. A fever in the middle of the night is not exactly a huge emergency. That's not a judgment, it's a fact. He didn't sound like he knew he was responsible. It sounds like he is trying to get it paid for by some other means. If everybody could come here and get free medical until they have a green card, they would be doing it. I think some folks play the "judgment" card way too much. Facts and realities are not the same as judgment.

I always assumed the Affidavit of Support becomes effective as soon as the person steps into the USA. Why would it wait and be started at a later date? I will have to add my husband to my insurance (at 400+ a month) in October since that is the only "open enrollment" time for my health insurance. And he probably won't be here for a long time. But I assume it's my responsibility to make sure he has health insurance when he gets here.

The person entered the US on K-1 visa. K-1 is a non-immigrant visa and the only "affidavit of support" for those is the I-134 which is not legally binding. The legally binding Affidavit of Support, I-864, is only done as part of getting permanent residency, and only takes effect once that is approved and the person becomes a permanent resident.

I just read the I-134 and nowhere does it say that it is NOT legally binding. In fact, it states that you could be sued to get back any money the immigrant costs the government. And K-1 is a non-immigrant visa? Then what is it? The way you are saying it, any person could come here and get US benefits and nobody is responsible for paying it back until they are a permanent resident. Never heard that one before....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. This is why you must file to adjust your status to that of a permanent resident. Someone that enters on an immigrant visa, such as a spousal visa, does not need to file for AOS because they become a permanent resident once they enter the US via their IR-1/CR-1.

The I-134 is definitely not legally binding. The government cannot use the I-134 as a legal contract in order to sue the sponsor.

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030208.html

(Previous Location: 9 FAM 40.41 N5.6-3 CT:VISA-1995; 06-06-2013)

(3) Use of Form I-134:

(a) Because INA 212(a)(4)© and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, for so many classes of immigrants, the use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, has been reduced considerably. Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when Form I-134 will be beneficial. This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be accorded the same weight as Form I-864. Form I-134 should be given consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the other forms of evidence mentioned below.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello. I had vomiting which would not stop. I could not walk or breathe properly so I ended up in emergency at 3am in the night. Please dont judge. I did NOT go to Las Vegas and party and then expect the govt. to pay for that. If I was allowed to work (which I am currently not) I would do so and buy an insurance. I am a living and breathing human being. DMV wont issue me a licence becuase my visa says 3 months. I cant study. I cant work. I cant travel. I cant do anything. Am I a slave?

Edited by Quesma

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello. I had vomiting which would not stop. I could not walk or breathe properly so I ended up in emergency at 3am in the night. Please dont judge. I did NOT go to Las Vegas and party and then expect the govt. to pay for that. If I was allowed to work (which I am currently not) I would do so and buy an insurance. I am a living and breathing human being. DMV wont issue me a licence becuase my visa says 3 months. I cant study. I cant work. I cant travel. I cant do anything. Am I a slave?

This is why it's so important that the petitioner has his/her finances in order before the beneficiary comes over so they won't find themselves in money issues before the beneficiary can start working.

Anyway you need to call the hospital, explain the situation and set up a plan to pay them back before you get into trouble.

Go to a drop in clinic next time, they are cheaper. There's also a lot of cheap insurance for people coming on different visas including k1. You should look into that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.