MickeyB

Insight on Work Authrorization-K1 Visa

43 posts in this topic

I think the guide was linked before but I'll link it again. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

It's a huge stack of papers all at once and costs $1490 + a medical exam.

I'll reiterate. There is no need to separate your family when this option is available to you now. Your fiance/husband won't be able to leave the country without abandoning the process until he gets his temporary travel permission, called Advance Parole, just be aware. That should take about 90 days from when you file. Enjoy your family! I beg of you :)

This. Absolutely right.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So basically, OP has pending K-1 application while fiance came here on a visit.

Well, if your fiance wants to be able to fly back and forth until you guys are ready to live here, then go through the K-1 as planned. But if you decide to get married and adjust, your fiance wont be able to fly back for a while

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That poster wasn't rude. She/he stated a fact. Immigration process usually takes longer. And she or he gave you some facts. Has your expedite request been approved??

If you can't take differing opinions, then you can do it your own way, seems to be working.

You should feel lucky for the chance you have, thousands on this site are not that fortunate and the statistics on this site proves that. So if you don't like ppl's opinion, then don't ask. Everyone has the right to post on a thread on this site.

You don't like how someone responded but you sure know how to teach someone how to respond.

Anyway, Harpa gave you the best advice, that should be your route.

It's fine if the poster felt that we should stick to the K1. But there was no reason for the poster to tell me to 'relax' especially about advice someone suggested to me. Never once did I say that I was freaking out or rushing or anything of that matter.

You can stay facts without being rude. The poster telling me to relax & telling me that I probably have no reason to expedite was unnecessary, especially when that poster didn't even bother to ask.

I am thankful for the help, that's exactly why I asked, but just because people have the right to comment and offer advice, doesn't give them the right to try and belittle anyone.

It's fine if the poster felt that we should stick to the K1. But there was no reason for the poster to tell me to 'relax' especially about advice someone suggested to me. Never once did I say that I was freaking out or rushing or anything of that matter.

You can stay facts without being rude. The poster telling me to relax & telling me that I probably have no reason to expedite was unnecessary, especially when that poster didn't even bother to ask.

I am thankful for the help, that's exactly why I asked, but just because people have the right to comment and offer advice, doesn't give them the right to try and belittle anyone.

I think some things got a bit lost in translation/ hurried response. I think that the doubt for reason for expedite is only because so few people get them-- even with really serious reasons. And the relax... it's just a little weird to see someone who filed 2 months ago think that NOA2 should have arrived by now and that means there's a backlog-- because 2 months is so early in the process even by K1 standards and K1s are the fastest route available, so it just really strikes most people as odd (remember, the spouse visas are a ~12 month process).

But that's not your confusion, that's USCIS and their very poor communication (only made worse by recent changes in how they report their processing times). But otherwise, she's right. The standard time is supposed to be 5 months, but they're going much faster than that these days. It's just that things *used to* be even faster at CSC, that folks here think there's a backlog. The backlogs are when USCIS goes above their standard processing times (that's a whole other story/set of confusion based on how they've changed how they report their own processing times), and the last time there was one for I-129f was recently enough that there's still a lot of us around (we're still waiting on EAD). I got through I-129f stage in just under 6 months and was *ecstatic* about it-- the average was over 8.

All that said, yes, if he's in the country now and didn't lie about his intentions at the border, you can marry and adjust. Planning to do so and/or lying about it at the border is fraud. Changing one's mind is not. While it's possible they'll ask you what happened at some point in AOS, they can't hold it against you once you're married. It's a strange gray area loophole and can be a bit confusing.

I think that you will need to pay for EAD/AP during AOS from ESTA (it's free from a K1), and you'd lose your I-129f filing fee, but you probably make up that money in plane tickets alone.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think some things got a bit lost in translation/ hurried response. I think that the doubt for reason for expedite is only because so few people get them-- even with really serious reasons. And the relax... it's just a little weird to see someone who filed 2 months ago think that NOA2 should have arrived by now and that means there's a backlog-- because 2 months is so early in the process even by K1 standards and K1s are the fastest route available, so it just really strikes most people as odd (remember, the spouse visas are a ~12 month process).

But that's not your confusion, that's USCIS and their very poor communication (only made worse by recent changes in how they report their processing times). But otherwise, she's right. The standard time is supposed to be 5 months, but they're going much faster than that these days. It's just that things *used to* be even faster at CSC, that folks here think there's a backlog. The backlogs are when USCIS goes above their standard processing times (that's a whole other story/set of confusion based on how they've changed how they report their own processing times), and the last time there was one for I-129f was recently enough that there's still a lot of us around (we're still waiting on EAD). I got through I-129f stage in just under 6 months and was *ecstatic* about it-- the average was over 8.

All that said, yes, if he's in the country now and didn't lie about his intentions at the border, you can marry and adjust. Planning to do so and/or lying about it at the border is fraud. Changing one's mind is not. While it's possible they'll ask you what happened at some point in AOS, they can't hold it against you once you're married. It's a strange gray area loophole and can be a bit confusing.

I think that you will need to pay for EAD/AP during AOS from ESTA (it's free from a K1), and you'd lose your I-129f filing fee, but you probably make up that money in plane tickets alone.

But doubting without asking is ignorant. People here expedite & get upset because they think everyone should have to wait just like they did. I've seen it over & over again on VJ.

Plus, I never once said that I expected to have my NOA2 yet. My response to the poster was by them implying that he would have the visa in hand in the next 2 months. If things were moving at the pace they were back in October/November then yes maybe, but things aren't. I've done plenty of research and read enough timelines to know. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'backlog' but it's still very petty for someone to be rude because something strikes them as odd.

Again, the relax was unwarranted and if people read the thread in its entirety, they would know that my post wasn't about rushing the process or even receiving an NOA2, I just wanted to make sure that we hadn't missed anything & there was something he could do now about work.

I truly do appreciate all the helpful advice to all those who had something to offer. We learned something we had no clue about and are going to be assessing the new advice to see what would be best for our situation.

I

But doubting without asking is ignorant. People here expedite & get upset because they think everyone should have to wait just like they did. I've seen it over & over again on VJ.

Plus, I never once said that I expected to have my NOA2 yet. My response to the poster was by them implying that he would have the visa in hand in the next 2 months. If things were moving at the pace they were back in October/November then yes maybe, but things aren't. I've done plenty of research and read enough timelines to know. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'backlog' but it's still very petty for someone to be rude because something strikes them as odd.

Again, the relax was unwarranted and if people read the thread in its entirety, they would know that my post wasn't about rushing the process or even receiving an NOA2, I just wanted to make sure that we hadn't missed anything & there was something he could do now about work.

I truly do appreciate all the helpful advice to all those who had something to offer. We learned something we had no clue about and are going to be assessing the new advice to see what would be best for our situation.

I

What expedites have you seen on VJ? I've been here for over a year and with the exception of the post-typhoon Philippines situation, I've never seen anyone expedited and I've seen some really, really sad situations. Seriously curious here. No harm in trying, of course (we did-- it was a medical issue). Just that USCIS is really really stingy with expedites, and they take a long time, relative to the K1 timeline. Expedites for spouse/ other family visas whose timelines can stretch into the dozens of years... yes. But for K1-- the fact that expediting takes a month or two, and these days you're through USCIS in under 3 months.... it may just not even be possible. But again, always worth the try if you've got an unusual situation. (Problem is what seems unusual to us, turns out is quite common).

I do think that the timeline thing is just a misunderstanding. You said "we filed our I-129f in the beginning of April but due to backlog, we haven't received an NOA2 yet." That does strongly imply that you'd normally expect it by now, but I can see how you might not have meant it that way. It's just really hard sometimes being on a forum where the emotions and stress run high (and the stakes are even higher) where language and expressions can be a barrier (as in literally not everyone speaking the same first language) and then the shortcomings of communicating over the internet. Complaints about things, especially timelines, can hit people funny. Especially when you are directly responsible for the timelines being so comparatively fast, when they weren't for you, and folks still complain. There's a lot of folks in that boat, and I see both sides very clearly. It's hard for everyone-- we all need to remember that.

Anyway-- yes, you've got a big decision on your hands. I would guess that you'll have NOA2 in 3 to 5 weeks but things seem to be dragging at NVC stage (personally I think that NVC has asked CSC to hold back shipping I-129fs to only X number per month because they were creating a backlog of other NVC petitions. No proof, just observation) and you'd have to check what London timelines look like. This could still be a preferable option (could) if your fiance has loose ends to tie up at home (pack all this things, sell a car, terminate a lease etc), and at this stage is probably cheaper overall in terms of fees (but not by much).

Otherwise, you marry and adjust but he'd be pretty stuck here until he gets AP (90 days from the time you file, and even if you got married *today*, it would still take you some time to get all the necessary paperwork together. Does he have his birth certificate, for example? He'd still need medicals here, and those are time, and money, too. Depending on if he's got any sort of legal issues in his past, he could need court papers/police certificates etc). AOS is not quite as straightforward as it can sound. So he'd be out of his country even longer than initially planned, and still unable to work here. Lots of factors in play.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Actually filing for the EAD (I-765) and AP (I-131) is free is concurrently filed with the I-485. You'll also need to file an I-130 if you do choose to marry and adjust.

We were in talks of filing a K-1 during my visit last year, and before I got home our circumstances changed and he wanted me to stay. I was also on the VWP, and we got our Green Card in March. Life happens, and you should hold onto them if it's convenient for your partner to be with you and not have to travel back and forth.

AOS

09/02/2015 - Enter United States @ Raleigh Durham International Airport, NC under VWP

14/02/2015 - Fly to San Francisco, CA

09/05/2015 - I-94 Expires

22/05/2015 - Civil Surgeon Medical Examination

28/05/2015 - Received Sealed Envelope

04/07/2015 - Married in Vegas

14/08/2015 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

21/08/2015 - Emails/Texts of Acceptance for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

24/08/2015 - I-130 & I-485 Cheques Cashed

27/08/2015 - Paper NOA1 Received

14/09/2015 - Biometrics Letter Received

23/09/2015 - Biometrics Complete

17/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Produced

21/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

24/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Delivered

31/10/2015 - Received SSN

06/02/2016 - Interview Notice Delivered by Post

09/03/2016 - Interview

09/03/2016 - Approved at Interview + Card Ordered

14/03/2016 - Green Card Mailed

16/03/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

05/02/2018 - Sent I-751 to California Service Centre

07/02/2018 - I-751 Received

09/02/2018 - Extension Letter Arrived in Post

12/05/2018 - Biometrics Reused Letter

18/08/2018 - 18 Months Extension Letter

19/04/2019 - 1-751 Approved + Card Produced

Naturalisation

09/12/2018 - Sent N-400 Application Online

14/12/2018 - Received Paper NOA1

02/01/2019 - Biometrics Scheduled

06/02/2019 - Biometrics Rescheduled

Actually filing for the EAD (I-765) and AP (I-131) is free is concurrently filed with the I-485. You'll also need to file an I-130 if you do choose to marry and adjust.

We were in talks of filing a K-1 during my visit last year, and before I got home our circumstances changed and he wanted me to stay. I was also on the VWP, and we got our Green Card in March. Life happens, and you should hold onto them if it's convenient for your partner to be with you and not have to travel back and forth.

Gotcha-- I couldn't remember if this was one of those K1 exceptions (like the medical stuff) or if it's for all concurrent filers-- that's a thought process we'd never gone through.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

K-1 Visa Timeline:

!

I manage to successfully request expedited processing on EAD/AP/AOS - pls check out my post. Hope this helps.

Edited by boywonder

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Adjustment from a K-1 has nothing to do with the fees for the I-765 and I-131 being waived when filed with a pending I-485. Any adjustment applicant gets those fees waived. It is stated on the page for downloading the I-485 and in the instructions for the I-765 and I-131.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.