MissM88

DV 2017 Winners

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about matching up with o*net for this question. That matters if you are specifically trying to qualify through work experience and requires other evidence at interview. For the DS260: If the job requires a bachelors, then yes is the correct answer as it requires more than 2 years of training.

Although jewlz,I confess to finding your situation strange - are you overqualified for the job you are doing? I would expect that most jobs that *require* a degree *and* have 8 years relevant experience would be in an acceptable job zone for DV work experience qualification. In other words - just because you have a bachelors does not mean that the job requires it - and the latter is what the question asks. But in any case in your situation too (jewlz) if your current job does require the degree and/or more than 2 years experience then you should have answered yes.

I have on-the-job experience, as well as so many years after high-school, which is what employers require in France. But I only based my answers in the DS-260 on the fact that according to O*Net, my job requires medium preparation (Associate's degree only apparently) and is only in SVP range 6.0 to 7.0, not above...

I've had my DS-260 unlocked so I can still make changes if necessary. Just want to be sure before I do.

I'm advising a family member in a self-employment situation of basically the same thing: technically (and surprising to me, as someone who works with O*Net on a regular basis in my day job) being a fashion designer is job zone 3, despite the fact that some fashion designers are deemed by CIS to be so highly skilled that they manage to snag EB-1 visas. We are going to check the box and explain that it takes more than two years to build a brand and learn the advanced techniques she uses to design high quality products. Answering "no" in her case would be a bit of an insult to her business and profession and not convey the general impression of someone who is well prepared to integrate into the US labor market, though we are quite certain that it will be a moot point as she definitely qualifies for the DV on the basis of her educational background.

If she qualifies for DV on education don't waste your time on preparing the work stuff, it's irrelevant.

I have on-the-job experience, as well as so many years after high-school, which is what employers require in France. But I only based my answers in the DS-260 on the fact that according to O*Net, my job requires medium preparation (Associate's degree only apparently) and is only in SVP range 6.0 to 7.0, not above...

I've had my DS-260 unlocked so I can still make changes if necessary. Just want to be sure before I do.

Does the DS question specifically ask you to refer to the o*net definition of the job? I don't recall it doing that. In any case it will take far more than ticking yes for anyone wanting to qualify on work experience, but you also have high school correct? So it's irrelevant for you too. Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

No, there's no mention of O*Net anywhere. It was a simple assumption on my part :/

I don't have my high-school diploma but an equivalency which granted me access to University just like my high-school diploma would have. And then I have my Bachelor's...

I read so many times how easy it was to get disqualified that I didn't want to risk it... Nothing more really :) thanks a lot for your input!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

There's a lot of serious questions and frustration vented on this forum, so here's something funny to report (and a reminder to check the DS-260s of your foreign friends and family carefully, no matter how well they seem to speak English!).

My brother in law wrote that he is an officer in the Iranian army in the space about military service. I told him that I thought he was a contentious objector and he was like, "of course, I sat in an office during my service so I was an officer!" Turns out that he thought you could take any task or place in the English language, add -er to the end, and get the name of the relevant occupation. Glad I caught that one!

It got worse, though. He wrote "secret" in the occupation box for his wife. I was like, really, you're going to tell Embassy Ankara that her occupation is a secret? He explained that he thought "secretary" was too formal of a title. Wow. Moral of the story: always check your friends and family members' work on these forms!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Seriously, he wrote 'secret'? What an idiot. I'm not sure he's smart enough to get a Green Card.

Not speaking English well and being an idiot is not the same thing. I'm sure I could not fill out a form in Persian.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I still had a few questions:

Just to explain my situation first, my number is 2017EU00002XXX. I came to the US in Oct 2012 for my PhD on a J1 visa (two year rule DOES apply), and my visa ran out at the end of 2014. I still stayed in the US after my visa expired since my DS2019 from my school was still valid which allowed me to stay and continue my work/studies. I was also employed by the University during that time. Early 2015 I returned back home to Germany and got a new J1 visa (this time the two year does NOT apply), still valid DS2019.

In early June 2016 I sent my DS260 to the KCC with the intention to file an AoS later in the year. I'm currently still in the US finishing my degree (valid DS2019, and J1 visa: two year rule does NOT apply, and both of those document are still good through late 2017).

My questions now are:

1) Based on what I told you, am I eligible to file an AoS? Was I ever out of status when my DS2019 was still valid, yet my visa expired? I wouldn't think so but correct me if I'm wrong.

2) How long will it take the KCC to send the 2NL confirming that I intend to go for AoS with the USCIS? Should I contact them about it or better not hassle them?

I hope you could help me out. Thank you!

Best,

Bastian

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I was selected in the DV 2017 with a CN of 2017AF******2XX.

my boyfriend (4 years together) and I applied to the lottery but I was the only one to be picked.

we got married before I filled the DS-260 so I could Include him.

we filled the DS in late MAY

we don't have criminal record , we're both healthy and we are both university grads. and of course it's not a fraud marriage.

I would like to know, based on my CN that's very low, when to expect the interview .

By the way we are Moroccans.

thank you in advance

and good luck to every winner

That's a low number, expect October.

Make sure you bring proof that your relationship/ marriage is genuine. Photos of you two in various places and with each other's family if possible, correspondence to both of you at same address, etc.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

we actually have conversations since we started dating in 2012 , picture on facebook, pictures with the family in our engagement party. but we don't have joined adress since we don't know if we should move in together or wait til we get our visa to go and live in the US . but majority of the week I spend it in his place

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I still had a few questions:

Just to explain my situation first, my number is 2017EU00002XXX. I came to the US in Oct 2012 for my PhD on a J1 visa (two year rule DOES apply), and my visa ran out at the end of 2014. I still stayed in the US after my visa expired since my DS2019 from my school was still valid which allowed me to stay and continue my work/studies. I was also employed by the University during that time. Early 2015 I returned back home to Germany and got a new J1 visa (this time the two year does NOT apply), still valid DS2019.

In early June 2016 I sent my DS260 to the KCC with the intention to file an AoS later in the year. I'm currently still in the US finishing my degree (valid DS2019, and J1 visa: two year rule does NOT apply, and both of those document are still good through late 2017).

My questions now are:

1) Based on what I told you, am I eligible to file an AoS? Was I ever out of status when my DS2019 was still valid, yet my visa expired? I wouldn't think so but correct me if I'm wrong.

2) How long will it take the KCC to send the 2NL confirming that I intend to go for AoS with the USCIS? Should I contact them about it or better not hassle them?

I hope you could help me out. Thank you!

Best,

Bastian

You will not qualify for AOS (or an immigrant visa, for that matter), until you satisfy the 2-year home residence requirment of your first J1 or get a waiver of the requirement. The fact that your current J1 does not have the 2-year requirement does not mean you aren't obligated to satisfy the requirement of the first one -- it merely means you pushed the time back to satisfy it.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All,

I have been accepted for further processing with a case number 2017OC*****3XX, I have been in a same sex relationship for 10 years so when I got accepted we got married in New Zealand as it is not recognised in Australia as legal marriage. We both submitted our DS260 so now we are just waiting for a scheduled interview. Just had a couple of questions in the meantime:

-With our case number 3XX when could we expect an interview to be scheduled?

-Should we get our medical and police records now? Or should we wait until we have a scheduled interview?

-If all goes well and we get a GC, we are planning to move in September 2017. However, I believe that once you have your interview you have 6 months to enter the US (or up to the expiry of your medical). If the interview is scheduled early can we enter the US for a couple weeks then return to Australia to work/save up to September 2017 then re-enter the US or will this be a problem?

Any help with these questions is appreciated!

Tom

Hi All,

I have been accepted for further processing with a case number 2017OC*****3XX, I have been in a same sex relationship for 10 years so when I got accepted we got married in New Zealand as it is not recognised in Australia as legal marriage. We both submitted our DS260 so now we are just waiting for a scheduled interview. Just had a couple of questions in the meantime:

-With our case number 3XX when could we expect an interview to be scheduled?

-Should we get our medical and police records now? Or should we wait until we have a scheduled interview?

-If all goes well and we get a GC, we are planning to move in September 2017. However, I believe that once you have your interview you have 6 months to enter the US (or up to the expiry of your medical). If the interview is scheduled early can we enter the US for a couple weeks then return to Australia to work/save up to September 2017 then re-enter the US or will this be a problem?

Any help with these questions is appreciated!

Tom

Britsimonsays website has some stuff on estimating interview dates. You can always look at last year (DV2016) as a guide.

Wait till your interview is scheduled before getting police and medical records, unless you need a police record from another country in which case you may want to start that process sooner.

You have maximum 6 months to enter the US after you get your visa - expiry is sometimes shorter, if the medical will expire in that time. After that you can return to Aus and then have up to a year to enter the US again, though it's better for a number of reasons (including entry scrutiny and naturalization requirements) to limit your time out till 6 months. If you're aiming at Sept 17 to move, then you should easily be able to do this even with a relatively early interview date.

One more thing, as you got married after being selected be sure to take evidence that the relationship is genuine - if you've been together for 10 years that should be easy.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.