MissM88

DV 2017 Winners

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Tom, don't wait to apply for the National Police Certificates. The process is so back-logged, that if you waited until the interview was scheduled, you probably won't have them in time. If you do not have them at the interview, that won't stop your application from going forward but you will be given an "administrative refusal" letter, which means when US customs asks you in future if you have ever been refused a visa, you will forever have to answer yes and explain yourself, or face penalties. You also will not get your passport back until you provide this.

You will have 6 months from the date of interview, or until the expiry of your medical (also 6 months), so if you have the medical a month before the interview, but wanted to leave over 5 months past the date of the interview, you would need to do the medical again. You can book the medical to be a day either side of the interview - make sure you get the authorised list of panel physicians, so book the medical as soon as you know the interview date, so you know they can give you an appointment for the right days.

Last year my number was 5xx, and I was interviewed in January this year - and I arrived in the USA two weeks ago, yay! To subscribe to the monthly visa bulletin, send an email to listserv@calist.state.gov, with "Subscribe Visa-Bulletin" in the message body. You will get a monthly email that lists the cut-off numbers for that month and the following month. When next month's number is higher than yours, you should expect to be booked for the interview shortly.

Timeline

I'm sure you're probably right that I'll only be required to answer that question if I apply for a visa - I wasn't asked at my PoE (DFW). However it was made quite clear to me by the staff at the Consulate in Sydney that with a 221(g) refusal on my file, if I ever get that question, and I lie, or forget, and say I haven't been refused, I will be in a "world of trouble" - their words - for committing "immigration fraud". They said as long as I remember to answer "yes" it will never be an issue. I don't know why they would have stressed that point so strongly if I could expect to never get the question, hence my advice to apply for the NPC as early as possible and avoid the drama.

I'm sure you're probably right that I'll only be required to answer that question if I apply for a visa - I wasn't asked at my PoE (DFW). However it was made quite clear to me by the staff at the Consulate in Sydney that with a 221(g) refusal on my file, if I ever get that question, and I lie, or forget, and say I haven't been refused, I will be in a "world of trouble" - their words - for committing "immigration fraud". They said as long as I remember to answer "yes" it will never be an issue. I don't know why they would have stressed that point so strongly if I could expect to never get the question, hence my advice to apply for the NPC as early as possible and avoid the drama.

Yeah I've left and returned 5 or 6 times already on my green card and the only question I ever got was the first time when I'd been out a while, with the purpose of establishing if I'd abandoned residency. I didn't have a police certificate at the time of my interview either - our police records office was on strike - but didn't get told anything like that. All I got told was "leave your passports here and when you send your certificate you'll get your visa".

But sure, if there isn't a risk of his police certficate expiring (what's the validity in Australia?) no problem getting it early.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Sorry, I don't know how long after it was issued the Consulate will accept it. The Certificate itself has no expiry, it just states the date it was issued, and the date the search was conducted, which were both after my interview. I've worked with universities that require these certificates for their students in certain courses, and they require new ones to be issued every 12 months.

Sorry, I don't know how long after it was issued the Consulate will accept it. The Certificate itself has no expiry, it just states the date it was issued, and the date the search was conducted, which were both after my interview. I've worked with universities that require these certificates for their students in certain courses, and they require new ones to be issued every 12 months.

He needs to find that out if he does it early because if it's too early it will get rejected and lead to exactly the situation you're trying to avoid...

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys,

Thanks for providing such clear information on this thread. It's very concise and easy to follow for newbies.

I am in the extremely fortunate situation to be very low on the list for the Oceania lottery (less than 50). I wanted to confirm that I will receive an email noting my interview time as opposed to a letter as I have seen some people receive. Being August 18th today, should I expect that email soon? I've checked out the great resource at britsimonsays and it appears that I will be in the October cycle, but I am still yet to receive notification.

I am probably freaking myself out for no reason, but does this sound normal given the fact I have such a low number?

Hi guys,

Thanks for providing such clear information on this thread. It's very concise and easy to follow for newbies.

I am in the extremely fortunate situation to be very low on the list for the Oceania lottery (less than 50). I wanted to confirm that I will receive an email noting my interview time as opposed to a letter as I have seen some people receive. Being August 18th today, should I expect that email soon? I've checked out the great resource at britsimonsays and it appears that I will be in the October cycle, but I am still yet to receive notification.

I am probably freaking myself out for no reason, but does this sound normal given the fact I have such a low number?

You should get an email but it will only tell you to check the ESC page (same page you got your initial selection letter). You will then find that page has been updated with a letter that gives you your interview details. You can check the page without getting the email first obviously; some people claim to not have received the email. Britsimon's website will probably note when the letters start being sent out, otherwise check in a few days' time.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
Hello!

I am a new member and this is the second time I have been selected for further processing for the DV visa.

(First time almost ten years ago, so I hope this will be a second lucky chance for me...) I'm from Bosnia (Sarajevo) btw.

Either way, I have completed /submitted the DS-260 form mid May and still waiting for second NL.

Do you think my number is high? its 2017EU000100xx

And also, my question is how much time it takes to get notification for interview given all this...?

Thank you all for your time!

CHEERS!

Edited by Vildana

You can look at last year's visa bulletins to get a rough idea of when your number might become current.

The 2NLs get sent out once a month once KCC has the scheduling completed for a specific month, and normally come about 6-8 weeks before interview, depending on when exactly in the month your interview is scheduled.

Filed: Timeline

Hello all, quick question

I have received an email saying

Dear Diversity Visa Program entrant:

Additional names have been added for DV-2017 selection

And I appear to have been randomly selected after checking, what confuses me is that on May 1st I was not selected, do I still have time to submit the documents?

Edited by brobro

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Yes, it does appear that there has been a second draw per official DOS sources - found something about it on the Embassy Baghdad website this morning. Does anyone know if this is a normal practice for the DV program? I don't see how this can possibly be good news for high number selectees likely to face AP down the line... this whole program is so bizarre, but with the EB-5 and H1-B programs constantly hitting their caps it still feels like my family's only hope...

Hello all, quick question

I have received an email saying

Dear Diversity Visa Program entrant:[/size]

Additional names have been added for DV-2017 selection[/size]

And I appear to have been randomly selected after checking, what confuses me is that on May 1st I was not selected, do I still have time to submit the documents?

Yes, it does appear that there has been a second draw per official DOS sources - found something about it on the Embassy Baghdad website this morning. Does anyone know if this is a normal practice for the DV program? I don't see how this can possibly be good news for high number selectees likely to face AP down the line... this whole program is so bizarre, but with the EB-5 and H1-B programs constantly hitting their caps it still feels like my family's only hope...

Yes, there has been a second draw. This has happened occasionally in the past, when it looks like they don't have enough people from the first draw to make up the 50000 visa target. So it shouldn't be bad news for anyone.

Yes you have time to submit your form, but don't waste too much time doing so! Remember to read the letter and instructions linked from it carefully.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.