Javilasardar

J-1 Waiver Timelines 2016

430 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Was the 4 months the USCIS part or the DOS part? Could you post your full timeline. 
Congrats!

DOS received no objection Statement: Oct 06, 2016

DOS favorable letter: Dec 13th 2016

UScis case received: January 07, 2017

USCIS approval: May 13th, 2017

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ekram Hossain said:

Hi,

I am applying for J1 waiver. I changed from F1 to J1 in US and never left. Box-17 in DS-3035 says "Control number" and "issuing post". Where do I find these info? Thanks,

Best Regards

Ekram.

Who funded your J-1 program? Are you out-of-status?

40 minutes ago, KurosawaSan said:

Who funded your J-1 program? Are you out-of-status?

I am on university funding. I am applying for waiver on "No Objection" basis. I do not have VISA stamp on my passport as I never left. So I do not know how to find "Control number" and "issuing post" for DS-3035 Box-17. I am not out of status. Thanks.

Edited by Ekram Hossain
Modify answer to I've better details.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The department of state just sent a favorable recommendation on my case to USICS. I sent my application on april 5, 2017. 

Recommendation Sent June, 08 2017
No Objection Statement Received April, 25 2017
Fee Received April, 19 2017
Form DS-3035 Received April, 19 2017
Form DS-2019 Received April, 19 2017
Passport Data Page Received April, 19 2017
Statement Of Reason Received April, 19 2017
Other Received April, 19 2017

36 minutes ago, Kteixeira said:

The department of state just sent a favorable recommendation on my case to USICS. I sent my application on april 5, 2017. 

Recommendation Sent June, 08 2017
No Objection Statement Received April, 25 2017
Fee Received April, 19 2017
Form DS-3035 Received April, 19 2017
Form DS-2019 Received April, 19 2017
Passport Data Page Received April, 19 2017
Statement Of Reason Received April, 19 2017
Other Received April, 19 2017

Congrats!!

I sent my application on April 7...They received all my paperwork April 20th, but my embassy hasn't sent the NOS yet.. :/ (they are on it..)

Please also post whenever you get your USCIS case number. I'm trying to figure out how long does each step takes.. I'm applying for a K1 so I need USCIS final approval unlike people applying for AOS :/

Again Congrats! and thanks for posting

Live, love, laugh.. and try not to think too much about USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, logisticamente said:

Congrats!!

I sent my application on April 7...They received all my paperwork April 20th, but my embassy hasn't sent the NOS yet.. :/ (they are on it..)

Please also post whenever you get your USCIS case number. I'm trying to figure out how long does each step takes.. I'm applying for a K1 so I need USCIS final approval unlike people applying for AOS :/

Again Congrats! and thanks for posting

Hi Logisticamente!

I'm applying for K1 as well. DOS received my NOS on April, 21st. And sent favorable recommendation on June, 2nd. Still waiting on hard copies of the recommendation and USCIS receipt number. I was planning on filing i-129f once I know for sure that USCIS has received my case. Are you going to wait till USCIS approves your case?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, PauliA said:

Hi Logisticamente!

I'm applying for K1 as well. DOS received my NOS on April, 21st. And sent favorable recommendation on June, 2nd. Still waiting on hard copies of the recommendation and USCIS receipt number. I was planning on filing i-129f once I know for sure that USCIS has received my case. Are you going to wait till USCIS approves your case?

Thanks!

yeah that sounds like a good plan..

I kind of F***ed up my plan... When I applied for the Waiver back in April I couldn't find much info or blogs about the estimating times.. My embassy said the process takes from 2-4 months.. So right after DOS received my docs on April 20th I filled for the K1 thinking the waiver would come just in time for the K1 interview. I also have a job offer that expires by the end of the year so I was more than eager to start the countdown on both the waiver and the visa... After applying for the K1 I found this forum where I learn that the waiver process is longer than 4 months (an of course adding a huge amount of anxiety to my day to day)

Right know I'm just hoping the waiver doesn't take too long..  that the 1-129F doesnt get denied because of my HRR, and that my consulate allows me to postpone the final K-1 interview until I get the waiver.. at this point I am at Gods mercy, only time will tell... :)

But if wouldn't have been that dumb.. I would have waited to get an USCIS case number for the waiver and only then send the 1-129f form...  I was advised by one lawyer to wait until I got USCIS final approval to file, but another one said I could file since they don't even look at your case until is your turn (about 3months after filing). My 1-129f got accepted without any complications, we will see what happens in August when they go over my case..

I created a timeline for my k1 if you wanna follow me.. once you make yours I will follow you too as we seem to be in similar boats and have very similar dates

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, logisticamente said:

yeah that sounds like a good plan..

I kind of F***ed up my plan... When I applied for the Waiver back in April I couldn't find much info or blogs about the estimating times.. My embassy said the process takes from 2-4 months.. So right after DOS received my docs on April 20th I filled for the K1 thinking the waiver would come just in time for the K1 interview. I also have a job offer that expires by the end of the year so I was more than eager to start the countdown on both the waiver and the visa... After applying for the K1 I found this forum where I learn that the waiver process is longer than 4 months (an of course adding a huge amount of anxiety to my day to day)

Right know I'm just hoping the waiver doesn't take too long..  that the 1-129F doesnt get denied because of my HRR, and that my consulate allows me to postpone the final K-1 interview until I get the waiver.. at this point I am at Gods mercy, only time will tell... :)

But if wouldn't have been that dumb.. I would have waited to get an USCIS case number for the waiver and only then send the 1-129f form...  I was advised by one lawyer to wait until I got USCIS final approval to file, but another one said I could file since they don't even look at your case until is your turn (about 3months after filing). My 1-129f got accepted without any complications, we will see what happens in August when they go over my case..

I created a timeline for my k1 if you wanna follow me.. once you make yours I will follow you too as we seem to be in similar boats and have very similar dates

From what I've read (I'm not an expert) there have been people that were denied at the interview because of the 2 year rule, but their I-129f was approved. Maybe you can hold sending packet 3 documents to the embassy till you receive the waiver. I will post when I receive the letters and final approval of my waiver!

6 hours ago, PauliA said:

From what I've read (I'm not an expert) there have been people that were denied at the interview because of the 2 year rule, but their I-129f was approved. Maybe you can hold sending packet 3 documents to the embassy till you receive the waiver. I will post when I receive the letters and final approval of my waiver!

Yup.. I cannot go to the interview without the waiver.. We will see once I get NOA2 if I need to hold sending my docs..

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi there, I am applying for the J-1 visa waiver by no objection and I am waiting for the DoS advisory opinion. Two weeks have already past, and I am worry it will take long time, based on recent timelines posted here. Did anyone tried to email the DoS or a congressman/senator to expedite the process in the DoS or USCIS steps?. My current work permit expires in July 17th and I cannot renew without the waiver.

Thanks in advance.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
20 minutes ago, LJauregui said:

Hi there, I am applying for the J-1 visa waiver by no objection and I am waiting for the DoS advisory opinion. Two weeks have already past, and I am worry it will take long time, based on recent timelines posted here. Did anyone tried to email the DoS or a congressman/senator to expedite the process in the DoS or USCIS steps?. My current work permit expires in July 17th and I cannot renew without the waiver.

Thanks in advance.

Hi LJauregui,

Did you mean the DOS favorable recommendation? When did they receive all of your documents, including the letter from your embassy. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for them to review cases. For me it took 6 weeks and then it's a whole other wait to receive the final answer from USCIS.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

5 hours ago, LJauregui said:

Thanks in advance.

(1) Congressmen/Senators cannot do anything at the DOS stage. That is once DOS sends it to UCSIS

(2) It takes 6-8 weeks from the time your NOS arrived. But I've seen cases in which they got to cases quicker if you embassy took a long time to send your NOS (like if your NOS arrived 3 months after your package)

(3) People sometimes come to VJ because their case has taken long. I've entered random numbers and I've seen cases than have fast turn arounds. 

You can e-mail them to the email they provide 212ewaiver@state.gov and tell them that your permit is running out and if they'd be so kind as to expedite your case. Sometimes it works. You should email them from the email you put down in your form because it seems they get your e-mail if you send it from that address but not if you send it from another one (at least that happened to me!). 

By the way, are you waiting for the waiver because you have to apply for a visa or something? 

55 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

(1) Congressmen/Senators cannot do anything at the DOS stage. That is once DOS sends it to UCSIS

(2) It takes 6-8 weeks from the time your NOS arrived. But I've seen cases in which they got to cases quicker if you embassy took a long time to send your NOS (like if your NOS arrived 3 months after your package)

(3) People sometimes come to VJ because their case has taken long. I've entered random numbers and I've seen cases than have fast turn arounds. 

You can e-mail them to the email they provide 212ewaiver@state.gov and tell them that your permit is running out and if they'd be so kind as to expedite your case. Sometimes it works. You should email them from the email you put down in your form because it seems they get your e-mail if you send it from that address but not if you send it from another one (at least that happened to me!). 

By the way, are you waiting for the waiver because you have to apply for a visa or something? 

Coco8 I am definitely not there yet,,, but I'm curious.. you just call the congressman and tell them you need your case expedited because your work permit (in Taamara's case) expires and they do you that favor?

Taamara I read somewhere that fax is a better way to contact the DOS, so if you find their fax number (I saw in it in some thread, I just don't remember which) you can fax them a letter explaining your case...

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi everyone

I applied for J1 Waiver since December 19 last year and my online update showed received January 18. Since then my embassy has not sent any NOS. I sent a mail to USCIS, and they said there's nothing they can do until my embassy sends a NOS. My visa already expired in the process of waiting. Anyone has an idea what I can do cos I'm just confused and fed up. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.