Javilasardar

J-1 Waiver Timelines 2016

430 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
6 hours ago, otgeh said:

Hi everyone

I applied for J1 Waiver since December 19 last year and my online update showed received January 18. Since then my embassy has not sent any NOS. I sent a mail to USCIS, and they said there's nothing they can do until my embassy sends a NOS. My visa already expired in the process of waiting. Anyone has an idea what I can do cos I'm just confused and fed up. 

I think you need to keep contacting your embassy, without that letter there's nothing DOS or USCIS can do because they don't have all the necessary documents. In fact before DOS gives you a favorable recommendation there's nothing USCIS can do either.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, tamaara said:

I think you need to keep contacting your embassy, without that letter there's nothing DOS or USCIS can do because they don't have all the necessary documents. In fact before DOS gives you a favorable recommendation there's nothing USCIS can do either.

Thanks. I think I'm just not lucky with this waiver thing. My embassy is the Nigerian embassy in Washington and the annoying thing is their phone no online is fake. So I can't even contact them. 

12 hours ago, logisticamente said:

Coco8 I am definitely not there yet,,, but I'm curious.. you just call the congressman and tell them you need your case expedited because your work permit (in Taamara's case) expires and they do you that favor?

Taamara I read somewhere that fax is a better way to contact the DOS, so if you find their fax number (I saw in it in some thread, I just don't remember which) you can fax them a letter explaining your case...

Oh, do you have the fax number? I really need it. 

Senators/Congressmen have people working that only answer requests. It is not a favor but their job. The issue is that everyone needs stuff expedited so sometimes they only do it if you've been waiting too long or have some reason they can give to UCSIS. If you are applying for an H1B you don't need the UCSIS decision. 

11 minutes ago, otgeh said:

Thanks. I think I'm just not lucky with this waiver thing. My embassy is the Nigerian embassy in Washington and the annoying thing is their phone no online is fake. So I can't even contact them. 

Without the NOS there is nothing you can do. Try to contact people in Nigeria, like someone in the Foreign Ministry who oversees embassies/consulates. 

34 minutes ago, otgeh said:

yeah.. I was having a similar issue... It hasn't been that long since I requested the NOS but my embassy's phone didn't work, nor they answered their emails.. I had to ask someone in Washington to go to the embassy and ask what is the status of my NOS..  the day after I got an email saying they sent the NOS to the DOS.. the DOS hasn't received it yet, but its been only a couple of days... Some countries are more organized and attentive than others.. sadly in our case we have to go the extra mile to make things happen.. You can also have some gubernamental office contact the embassy instead of you directly (in my case it didnt work, but it may for you)

Live, love, laugh.. and try not to think too much about USCIS

27 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Oh, do you have the fax number? I really need it. 

Senators/Congressmen have people working that only answer requests. It is not a favor but their job. The issue is that everyone needs stuff expedited so sometimes they only do it if you've been waiting too long or have some reason they can give to UCSIS. If you are applying for an H1B you don't need the UCSIS decision. 

Someone in an old post (2013) posted this number

202-663-2868.

I dont know if it is correct or still working.. If it works let me know!

Timeline
31 minutes ago, logisticamente said:

yeah.. I was having a similar issue... It hasn't been that long since I requested the NOS but my embassy's phone didn't work, nor they answered their emails.. I had to ask someone in Washington to go to the embassy and ask what is the status of my NOS..  the day after I got an email saying they sent the NOS to the DOS.. the DOS hasn't received it yet, but its been only a couple of days... Some countries are more organized and attentive than others.. sadly in our case we have to go the extra mile to make things happen.. You can also have some gubernamental office contact the embassy instead of you directly (in my case it didnt work, but it may for you)

Oh thanks. I'll go to their office then. I don't mind traveling there. Thanks. Your reply helped me. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

Without the NOS there is nothing you can do. Try to contact people in Nigeria, like someone in the Foreign Ministry who oversees embassies/consulates. 

Thanks. I will

48 minutes ago, logisticamente said:

Someone in an old post (2013) posted this number

202-663-2868.

I dont know if it is correct or still working.. If it works let me know!

I think this is old and doesn't work. They moved offices at one time. And I found something in chinese (which I translated w/google) from 2017 saying they had no response sending something to that number. Thank you though!

27 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I think this is old and doesn't work. They moved offices at one time. And I found something in chinese (which I translated w/google) from 2017 saying they had no response sending something to that number. Thank you though!

:( that sucks.. I was hoping I could use it once the received my NOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 6/9/2017 at 11:22 AM, Kteixeira said:

The department of state just sent a favorable recommendation on my case to USICS. I sent my application on april 5, 2017. 

Recommendation Sent June, 08 2017
No Objection Statement Received April, 25 2017
Fee Received April, 19 2017
Form DS-3035 Received April, 19 2017
Form DS-2019 Received April, 19 2017
Passport Data Page Received April, 19 2017
Statement Of Reason Received April, 19 2017
Other Received April, 19 2017

Hi!

Have you received your USCIS case number yet? My favorable recommendation was sent on June, 2nd. And I received the hard copy on June, 13th. I haven't heard from USCIS yet. 

Thank you!

On 6/19/2017 at 6:43 PM, PauliA said:

Hi!

Have you received your USCIS case number yet? My favorable recommendation was sent on June, 2nd. And I received the hard copy on June, 13th. I haven't heard from USCIS yet. 

Thank you!

Any updates on getting your receipt notice from USCIS? My waiver was approved by DOS on 06/12/17 and I haven't received mine as yet. Researching online shows that it should take 10-14 days. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MidwestMD said:

Any updates on getting your receipt notice from USCIS? My waiver was approved by DOS on 06/12/17 and I haven't received mine as yet. Researching online shows that it should take 10-14 days. 

Nothing yet 😣. I tried calling USCIS to get my number, but they need an US phone number to call me back and I'm out of the States. I hope we both receive it soon!

3 hours ago, MidwestMD said:

3 hours ago, PauliA said:

Nothing yet 😣. I tried calling USCIS to get my number, but they need an US phone number to call me back and I'm out of the States. I hope we both receive it soon!

On this thread people have been saying it can take like 6 months to get something back from UCSIS. 

It takes much longer than the DOS part of the process. I am at DOS. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.