Javilasardar

J-1 Waiver Timelines 2016

430 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2016 at 5:48 AM, SoM11 said:

Hi there,

I wanted to share my timeline with you regarding my J1 waiver application based on No-objection. It's been 7 months that I'm waiting and it's not done yet. 7 looong months.... :(

-I sent all my documents to DOS on 10/08/2015

-I applied to my embassy (French embassy) for No objection letter on 10/23/2015

-Documents received by DOS on 10/29/2015

-No-objection letter sent by French embassy to DOS on 12/09/2015

-On 1/16/2016 still no sign of no-objection letter on DOS website, so I emailed DOS and they gave me a fax number so that the french embassy can resend the no-objection letter.

-No-objection statement received on 12/16/2015 magically appears on DOS website on 1/17/2016. So weird... either they've lost the letter or they forgot to update their website???

-Sponsor views requested on 03/08/2016.

-Sponsor views (unacceptable) received on 4/05/2016. I started to freak out and emailed my old sponsors. They said to me that they sent a favorable recommendation to DOS but sometimes the word "unacceptable" appears due to a glitch in DOS system!!!

-Favorable recommendation sent on 4/08/2016

So today (4/26/2016), I still haven't heard from USCIS. I didn't receive the receipt notice or favorable DOS recommendation.

It would be great if people in the same situation could share their 2016 timeline.

Thanks!

Who was the "sponsor" who had to send "views"? 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

After senting the waiver application to the department of state, how long usually takes for them to update application details at the DOS website ? By postal tracking I could see they recived my application on April  5, 2017, but I am still not able to check the status at the DOS website... it shows as an inexistent case number. My government consulate also sent the no objection letter on April 5th so I wanted to make sure that all my documents arrived...

thanks

1 hour ago, Kteixeira said:

Hi,

After senting the waiver application to the department of state, how long usually takes for them to update application details at the DOS website ? By postal tracking I could see they recived my application on April  5, 2017, but I am still not able to check the status at the DOS website... it shows as an inexistent case number. My government consulate also sent the no objection letter on April 5th so I wanted to make sure that all my documents arrived...

thanks

For me it took a bit over a week. For some people it took a bit longer.

Do you know if you consulate sent the letter by mail or fax? If they faxed it and it arrives before they uploaded your documents, you might want to ask them to send again if it doesn't appear online with all your other documents. My consulate faxed their letter and 2 days later it appeared online. Other consulates seems to mail the letter so in that case you are fine because it will arrive after your docs.

By the way, the website refreshes at 2 AM so if your docs are updated, they will appear after 2 AM. 

Edited by Coco8

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I sent my waiver application on April 5, 2017. The Department of State updated their system on April 18th accusing that they received my documents. On April 25th they received the NOS from my home country embassy. However, when I tried to access the system today to check the waiver status it is showing the following message: 

"Currently, there is no information regarding the status of your case. If you would like additional information, please contact Public Inquiries at 212ewaiver@state.gov"

Someone ever had a problem similar to mine? I'm planning to wait one or two days until contacting them to make sure that it is not a temporary problem at their system, but I'm really worried about this now since my whole timeline was erased and I never took a screenshot or something similar.

1 hour ago, Kteixeira said:

Thank you so much for letting me know! I hope that when the system start working again they add "favorable recommendation" to everyone's case lol

Oh thank god. Mine was displaying the same issue today and I was terrified. I was wondering if it was because I was checking too often. Does anybody else check multiple times per day?

Timeline

I think they update the system everyday around 2am so I usually check one time during the morning. Someone applied for the waiver in 2017 and had more news than having the application and NOS received?

3 hours ago, Kteixeira said:

I think they update the system everyday around 2am so I usually check one time during the morning. Someone applied for the waiver in 2017 and had more news than having the application and NOS received?

They received my NOS April 6th and I am waiting. I actually have been trying several other case numbers and seeing how long it took for other people. It usually takes 8 weeks or so (if you had no U.S. government funding which makes it an easy case) but if your country took a long time to send the NOS, they tend to decide the case pretty fast after they receive the NOS. So in a way, they do take into consideration the date they received your application. On the other hand, if your application and NOS got to them almost at the same time, you are likely to hear from them in 8 weeks. (I've seen some cases that get decided super fast but they are exceptions).

Edited by Coco8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I applied for the 212e waiver in March, and the fee and other documents got delivered in March 16th. In April 12th they received my NOS. While I was expecting for a decision, all of a sudden I noticed today that another document named "Other" was added to my records just yesterday (May 11th). what that document could be? Could it be something from my school requested by USCIS? I'm really concerned because my school did not tend to cooperate at all and they may sabotage the whole process. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, J1Challenger said:

Hello everyone,

I applied for the 212e waiver in March, and the fee and other documents got delivered in March 16th. In April 12th they received my NOS. While I was expecting for a decision, all of a sudden I noticed today that another document named "Other" was added to my records just yesterday (May 11th). what that document could be? Could it be something from my school requested by USCIS? I'm really concerned because my school did not tend to cooperate at all and they may sabotage the whole process. Any thoughts?

Sometimes "other" is something you added to your paperwork, like photocopies of other visas or  i-94 or whatever you attached to your paperwork that was not required. I wouldn't worry. 

Without background on your J-1 or what school you are referring to, I cannot comment. A U.S. school would not have any interest in denying someone a waiver.

4 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Sometimes "other" is something you added to your paperwork, like photocopies of other visas or  i-94 or whatever you attached to your paperwork that was not required. I wouldn't worry. 

Without background on your J-1 or what school you are referring to, I cannot comment. A U.S. school would not have any interest in denying someone a waiver.

Thanks man,

If I have not sent any extra documents, even if that was the case, they should have added and dated it 2 months ago, not now. I suspect that they added something that they forgot to add, after 2 months.

I go to Georgia Tech. 

They are not cooperating in the sense that they refused to request a waiver on my behalf even though many schools do that for theri students. They kept insisting that they rightfully and correctly made me subject to the rule. Now, if the USCIS ask them "if this student should be subject" I'm sure they respond yes.

Edited by J1Challenger

9 minutes ago, J1Challenger said:

Thanks man,

If I have not sent any extra documents, even if that was the case, they should have added and dated it 2 months ago, not now. I suspect that they added something that they forgot to add, after 2 months.

I go to Georgia Tech. 

They are not cooperating in the sense that they refused to request a waiver on my behalf even though many schools do that for theri students. They kept insisting that they rightfully and correctly made me subject to the rule. Now, if the USCIS ask them "if this student should be subject" I'm sure they respond yes.

You are probably subject due to being on the "skill list". The school had to put the home residency requirement on your J-1 because what you do is on the skill list. The skill list is decided by each country. That is waived by your country through the NOS. Thus, the school has no say in this matter. 

11 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

You are probably subject due to being on the "skill list". The school had to put the home residency requirement on your J-1 because what you do is on the skill list. The skill list is decided by each country. That is waived by your country through the NOS. Thus, the school has no say in this matter. 

Thanks again,

Im not subject due to the skill list, but rather due to the support letter that I submitted along with my application. Here is part of my communication with our international office. Do think they still have any say in my case?

"

1.      You were issued a J-1 student visa based on your Iranian financial documents that you provided during the admission and visa process with Georgia Tech.
2.      We DID NOT make a mistake and you are NOT subject based on the skills list. Skills list 212e can only be determined/given by Dept. of State based on the 2009 DOS Skills List….
3.      You are subject because you were funded by your home government.
4.      All determinations of 212e are made final by the Dept of State’s Visa Officers, OIE reviewed your financial documents and determined there were gov’t funds. The Dept. of State made the final determination and agreed with OIE. They then indicated on the form through their signature that you were indeed subject to 212e."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.