missads

Success getting healthcare coverage for immigrant parents over 65

325 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They need to know her income, not that shown to sponsor her.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

They need to know her income, not that shown to sponsor her.

Yes I understand that but she just moved here and will be filing taxes next year so doesnt have any documents.  I read in this thread that pepeople were using an sworn affidavit for this purpose and submitting that rather so was hoping to get their help

Timeline

What income does she have, pension, investments, US looks at your world wide income.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 minutes ago, Boiler said:

What income does she have, pension, investments, US looks at your world wide income.

Mainly rental income ( That too in cash) Healthcare.gov asked  for US documents like Paystubs ,W2 etc. If it was asked by IRS then ofcourse u could show them foreign documents but not sure about healthcare.gov 

Timeline

This may be one of those cases where you need to do things manually and not through the site, certainly my State site had no such requirement but has its own web site. If you are not salaried then you work on estimated income to determine any subsidy. By definition you can not document that even if is from US sources.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Parents moved to US few years ago and we got them good insurance thru Obama care. Father ( primary account/insurance holder)  passed away last week. Now would need to adjust insurance info on healthcare.gov for my mom. Did anyone face similar issue? How did you handle?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, mr_citizen_2013 said:

Parents moved to US few years ago and we got them good insurance thru Obama care. Father ( primary account/insurance holder)  passed away last week. Now would need to adjust insurance info on healthcare.gov for my mom. Did anyone face similar issue? How did you handle?

I’m sorry to hear of your loss. I’m glad you had your parents here for the past few years. Call your state marketplace service. They will guide you through .. or go direct to the insurance provider and they will assist in changing the policy details. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
11 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Call your state marketplace service. They will guide you through .. or go direct to the insurance provider and they will assist in changing the policy details. 

In addition to these good ideas, consider consulting your Human Resources officer at your job for advice, if you're employed now.  There might be other options.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Not sure most HR have much knowledge about their own Company Insurances never mind the Exchange.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Maybe not, but they might know people who do.  Nothing lost by asking.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 5 months later...

This thread is really helpful. I have been looking for my parents affordable health insurance options when this crossed my browser. I hope missads is still active with this site or any any one would be able to help.

My parents were both 74, 1.5yrs in US (WA state), green card holders, no work since entering US, I never claim them as my dependent. I've just recently searched through WA healthplan finder and to make the story short-the navigator told me my parents would need to file $0 income jointly, separate to mine. To lower down the cost of plan after Premium Tax Credit (PTC). My parents never filed income tax thinking not necessary because of their age but now a requirement to avail the affordable health plan.

My question is - aside from filing $0 income tax for 2020, is there any other form or information my parents need to submit for them to become eligible? I will discuss this with my accountant, and hopefully they agree with the navigator. Health Plan enrollment was extended to Jan 15, a week to act and decide.     

Thank you in advance.

Timeline

They have no pension, no savings?

Nothing?

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

They have no pension, no savings?

Nothing?

Hi Boiler, my parents were from the Phils. and their pension is really small ($40). Savings is like $200 monthly-the money I give when I started working last year. I know my parents are not eligible to any but I am just hoping I would be able to get them affordable health insurance. I've spoken with a navigator and told me my parents need to file $0 income, they even fix this part on my parents application.

The only thing I would like to know is if there is any other documents my parents need to submit (to IRS during tax season) to substantiate the tax credit or the $0 income is enough.   

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Read through the discussion. Thank you missads. The debate at the crux of it is whether someone who can be claimed as a dependent can opt out and instead file their own income tax and get tax credit benefits. From what I know that is perfectly fine from IRS ‘ perspective as well as from healthcare perspective. At least that’s what I found on the IRS website as well - under section who should file a tax return -extrapolated. 

Also, here’s a similar question when roles reversed- can a child less than 26 file their own tax return and benefit from tax credits : https://www.kff.org/faqs/faqs-health-insurance-marketplace-and-the-aca/my-parents-are-self-employed-and-buy-coverage-through-the-marketplace-they-earn-too-much-to-qualify-for-subsidies-im-24-and-only-earn-30000-a-year-about-255-of-fpl-my-parents-don/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.