borninabarn

Here we go Again,Wife seding money to Ph.When we dont have it Now

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Don't be like me, if you can't do it. I am a very high standard person, with high expectations for myself. If you cannot withstand sacrifices like I do, then do whatever you can. I have a PH.D in Engineering, and I know how to take care of my own body since I also have some minor background in genetic engineering in the past. Please, whatever you do...do not try to be like me! :star:

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP hasn't said whether the money she sent is going for rent and basics or was going to be used to buy extras and more frivolous things.

But either way, the wife isn't just an interchangeable part. She's not going to give up all of her family connections, her worries about her parents and her brothers and sisters just out of gratitude to you (I mean, really, you married a person who's nice and kind. Presumably one of those reasons she's nice and kind is due to her caring for her family.) You marry a family, not just a person, and anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to talk to their in-laws. ;)

Still, you need to talk to her about a budget that you can both deal with. A little U.S. dollars goes a long way. But an attitude of "you are here, I am your husband, screw your family" isn't going to make anyone happy.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

As far as I could read from the above posts, many of the US citizens facing this problem are close to their retirement age. May-be it would help if you would discuss the differences in retirement founds/resources here in the US to the Philippines. Also point out that while she is providing for her family, there won't be anyone providing for you if the resources are depleted. Explain to her the importance of having adequate savings here in the US.

A good husband-wife talk should go a long way. If tradition asks for it, agree on an adequate monthly amount - make sure the amount is affordable. If she wants to spend more than you can afford - tell her to get a job for the excess money she plans on sending.

Money is known to be a make or break point for relationships. Don't let it break yours.

Edited by tweety

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

How did your wife's family manage to survive in the Philippines before your wife was able to send them money? :whistle:

Good question! Claudeth's dad was a salesman selling tools but the owner decided, after 20 years, that there wasn't any money in it any longer so closed shop. Her dad never did look for another job, they had me.......and now that she is here and working...they have her :blink:

in some cultures, you marry the whole family, brother..i hope this works out for you and my sister claudeth...i know she is a level-headed young lady and caring for her family, but also, caring for you...i think in 4 years, maybe there will be some changes for her family in the PIs...and this lessen your and her's financial role ..your friend and brother..dean

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

when I lived in Hong Kong my Filipina maid (my company paid for my accomodation with maid service provided, I am not lazy) used to send money home -- I was shocked to learn that she was only making about $350 US a month (and honkers ain't cheap) yet she still sent most of this home. I was pretty amazed my her selflessness but it is part of the culture and what you marry into when you marry someone from Ph I would imagine.

90day.jpg

Helping is all well and good, but not when you don't have it to give. That's just crazy.

If my fiancée, Jacki, came from a poor family with many young mouths to feed still, I would look at the situation like this: We would be living in a nice new house here, as I am living alone in right now, with a new car, and a semi-fair job to pay all of our bills. There in the Philippines, the situation could be a family, in abject poverty, with little money coming in (think $10/day), who live in a cardboard box on the streets, in unsanitary conditions, no airconditioning, no refrigerator, no toilet, no medical care, few if any nice clothes (talking about general tshirts, shorts, shoes here...not suits and dress shirts/pants), etc., and a possible diet of leftovers (from more fortunate folks) or long spoiled fruits to be shared between two parents and three to eight children. This is not the situation with Jacki's family, by a long shot, but it very well could be with any other Filipino fiancée or wife's family. Just think about it. We here in America live like kings, even if we think we are poor or are barely making ends meet. Next time you want to chew out your wife for a desire to send family to a family who may very well need the money more than you do, think about that. Go without Aircon for a month...it's cooler in most parts of USA in summer than it is in Philippines, trust me!!! Just be open to communication and be open to compromise. Maybe one day her family may thank you in ways that you never dreamed possible.

David

ya but LisaD is talkin about when you can actually afford to help the SO's relatives... sure if u have some extra cash yea why not.. but when there's barely enough money to pay bills, rent, mortgage, whatever, are you gonna sacrifice a whole week's meals, or something like that, in order to send money to ur SO's country?

My statements apply to LisaD's post, too. As I stated, we live and eat like kings, if you really think about it. We have every restaurant imaginable, and most will fit within our price range, even a good romantic dinner for two out at your fancy steakhouse, or whatever, once or twice a week. That doesn't break the budget... BUT, think about his or her family in the country where they came from. They might be spending ALL that they've got just to feed the parents and two or more young children BREAD CRUMBS...if their family is in need of money to help put decent food on the table, I would not be the one to say no just because I wanted filet mignon at my favorite steak restaurant and she eats a big lobster tail or crab legs or whatever on Friday night. I'm glad my fiancee's family is not poor, but if there was a pressing and legitimate need, I would not want to lose her loyalty to me, her husband, because I/we are selfish and want to live it up here in the USA. Family is very important, especially in the Philippines. It used to be important in America in the days gone by, but now family is just about as gone as most other good old time traditions. And no, I'm not over 60 and being an old timey person...I'm 25, and I believe in family still.

Imagine if the situation were reversed. You are engaged or married to an American and you know what you used to live in, you know what you used to eat, and you get reports from time to time about a food shortage in the family, or a parent is sick and in need of medical care, but can't get any because there is no money left. What would you want to do? You're miles away from them now, married to an American, and perhaps your family used to depend upon you for some of their income. Now what do you do, knowing how you are living now and how your own flesh and blood is living where you used to live. Would you ask your American husband/wife if you could cut back on some things like fancy dinners or a super-cooled air-conditioned house for a few weeks so you can send a little bit of money to your family? Or would you ignore your own family, who raised you from birth till you left to be with your wife/husband?

I hate to sound like an old Sally Struthers commerical from TV, but the person you married very well could have come from similar conditions that you see in those "Help the Needy" ads...perhaps you ignored the ads before, when all you were asked to do was give 30 cents per day. Now you're married to someone who's family came from or lives in similar conditions...does not even her family mean anything to you now???? Think about it...

D&J

05-26-2006: Engaged!!

DHS/USCIS - I-129F

02-26-2007: Petition Mailed to TSC via Express Mail

03-06-2007: NOA1 "Notice"

03-07-2007: Check cashed (posted 03-12-2007)

03-12-2007: NOA1 Received in Mail from CSC

06-11-2007: NOA2 Received in Mail from CSC

NVC

06-22-2007: NVC Received Case

06-26-2007: NVC Sent to Manila Embassy (got DOS Case #)

07-02-2007: Received Letter from NVC, dated June 27, 2007

USE-Manila

06-26-2007: USE received case electronically

07-05-2007: USE received hard copy of case from NVC

07-31-2007: J receivied Packet 4

08-16/17-2007: J did early Medical Review at St. Luke's

09-10-2007: Interview Approved!

09-14-2007: Visa in HAND!!

02/21/2008: USA Arrival

03/29/2008: Wedding!

05/12/2008: Mailed AOS via Express Mail

05/21/2008: Check clears our bank account

05/22/2008: Touch on all three apps

05/23/2008: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP arrives from MSC (notice date 5/19/08)

05/24/2008: Received Biometrics Appt. Letter

06/16/2008: Biometrics Appt. at Durham Office

06/17/2008: EAD & AOS touched

07/21/2008: AP "Approval Notice Sent" & EAD "Card Production Ordered" via CRIS Email

07/25/2008: 2 copies of AP approval form received in snail mail, dated 7/21/08

07/28/2008: EAD Card arrives in mail; CRIS email sent I765 (EAD) "Approval Notice Sent"

11/25/2008: Received Appt. Letter dated 11/18/2008 (Appt. is 1/13/09)

01/13/2009: AOS Interview approved

01/20/2009: AOS Approval Notice received

01/23/2009: 2-year Green Card received

in some cultures, you marry the whole family, brother.

Do you get to have sex with the whole family? :P

If the relationship you have with your wife is all about sex, then perhaps you should rethink the reasons why you married her in the first place. She more than likely didn't leave her family only to have sex with you in the guise of marriage. If you don't at least extend an offer to help her family in the event of a legitimate, real need, what if your wife were to cut off sex from you? You don't have to send thousands of dollars a month...$100 goes a long way in a place like the Philippines.

D&J

05-26-2006: Engaged!!

DHS/USCIS - I-129F

02-26-2007: Petition Mailed to TSC via Express Mail

03-06-2007: NOA1 "Notice"

03-07-2007: Check cashed (posted 03-12-2007)

03-12-2007: NOA1 Received in Mail from CSC

06-11-2007: NOA2 Received in Mail from CSC

NVC

06-22-2007: NVC Received Case

06-26-2007: NVC Sent to Manila Embassy (got DOS Case #)

07-02-2007: Received Letter from NVC, dated June 27, 2007

USE-Manila

06-26-2007: USE received case electronically

07-05-2007: USE received hard copy of case from NVC

07-31-2007: J receivied Packet 4

08-16/17-2007: J did early Medical Review at St. Luke's

09-10-2007: Interview Approved!

09-14-2007: Visa in HAND!!

02/21/2008: USA Arrival

03/29/2008: Wedding!

05/12/2008: Mailed AOS via Express Mail

05/21/2008: Check clears our bank account

05/22/2008: Touch on all three apps

05/23/2008: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP arrives from MSC (notice date 5/19/08)

05/24/2008: Received Biometrics Appt. Letter

06/16/2008: Biometrics Appt. at Durham Office

06/17/2008: EAD & AOS touched

07/21/2008: AP "Approval Notice Sent" & EAD "Card Production Ordered" via CRIS Email

07/25/2008: 2 copies of AP approval form received in snail mail, dated 7/21/08

07/28/2008: EAD Card arrives in mail; CRIS email sent I765 (EAD) "Approval Notice Sent"

11/25/2008: Received Appt. Letter dated 11/18/2008 (Appt. is 1/13/09)

01/13/2009: AOS Interview approved

01/20/2009: AOS Approval Notice received

01/23/2009: 2-year Green Card received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
How did your wife's family manage to survive in the Philippines before your wife was able to send them money? :whistle:

Good question! Claudeth's dad was a salesman selling tools but the owner decided, after 20 years, that there wasn't any money in it any longer so closed shop. Her dad never did look for another job, they had me.......and now that she is here and working...they have her :blink:

so basically they stop working because they know they will be supported? I mean, I don't know the laboral situation in those countries.. but one thing is no jobs available, the other thing is 'heck why should i work if my son/daughter is sending me money'..

and again.. the people that say that the ones that live in America should 'sacrifice' something.. I'm not talkin about not eating filet mignon every day or drinking fancy beer.. I'm talking about basic needs.. yes, maybe having 3 pairs of shoes is a basic need in USA.. but I'm talking of really necessary things.. or are you gonna live withouth electricity? water? heat? are you gonna skip a month's rent because in ur SO's country they are 'eating crumbs'?? or what if u have a kid.. are you gonna stop buying diapers or baby food for that.. those are the basic needs I'm talkin about.. not if there's no money for the new playstation game, or something frugal like that..

btw, very interesting topic

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Don't be like me, if you can't do it. I am a very high standard person, with high expectations for myself. If you cannot withstand sacrifices like I do, then do whatever you can. I have a PH.D in Engineering, and I know how to take care of my own body since I also have some minor background in genetic engineering in the past. Please, whatever you do...do not try to be like me! :star:

Book smart...not street smart.

You are no help to your family if you send them all your money and die of malnutrition from eating Ramen noodles everyday.

K1 Time Line

Don and Linh

October 22, 2006 - Sent I-129F

November 2, 2006 - NOA1

January 30, 2007 - NOA2

February 8, 2007 - Arrives at NVC

February 12, 2007 - Arrives at Consultate in HCMC

February 28, 2007 - Consulate sends out Packet 3

March 8, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved

May 11, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved by Consulate

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

You are no help to your family if you send them all your money and die of malnutrition from eating Ramen noodles everyday.

Are you kidding me? That expression are for those who are incapable of thinking. Street smart will get killed, I hope you will be aware of that. And, the CIA what are they?

Oh, in response to your post Pedroh, the availability of jobs depends on the economic situation of the country and how developed they are. Easier to find a job here because of McDonalds, Burger King, Wal-Mart. You can be a cashier, etc...Overseas, most likely to find a job like that is hardly non-exist. You can probably be a delivery boy, but then again labor laws aren't really established all that well so the workers sometimes get cheated out of their wage.

So, you had it easy if you don't understand.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline

Are you kidding me? That expression are for those who are incapable of thinking. Street smart will get killed, I hope you will be aware of that. And, the CIA what are they?

Oh, in response to your post Pedroh, the availability of jobs depends on the economic situation of the country and how developed they are. Easier to find a job here because of McDonalds, Burger King, Wal-Mart. You can be a cashier, etc...Overseas, most likely to find a job like that is hardly non-exist. You can probably be a delivery boy, but then again labor laws aren't really established all that well so the workers sometimes get cheated out of their wage.

So, you had it easy if you don't understand.

#######? "you had it easy if you don't understand." dude I don't know what the hell u're talkin about.. that wasn't even part of my question... my question was, when relatives lose their jobs, like jasman's example, is it that they can't find a job, or they don't WANT TO find another job, cuz the good dollars are coming from USA and 'its their obligation to support me'

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

It is part of the culture of the Philippines. Annie is constantly helping her family with her income already, and we plan to help them when she arrives here. But we are both very aware of the importance of controlling it.

Annie plans to work in the USA, and will use part of her income to assist her family, part of it for our trips to the Philippines, and I will be the one earning the money to live on. But that's our plan, and we've talked about it many time, already. She's also always saying, "I will use part of my income to save for the future, too." lol, but she's a good business woman.

You need to take time to discuss the needs of the family, and agree on what is important, and not important. What you can afford, and what you can't afford.

And very important, never promise her family anything, unless you really plan to do it, and know you can do it. It will reflect badly on HER, if you can't. I've always been very careful not to promise anything, and then when I feel the need and know I can afford it, then I help.

If it's going to be, it's up to me!

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

January 2005 - Met Annie online

February 13th 2006 - Met in Real - WOW!! Ikaw maganda!

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

February 27th 2007 - I-129F Mailed to Nebraska

March 6th - NOA1 Received.

May 23rd - NOA2, Received Approval Email

June 14th - Receive letter from NVC, packet on the way to Manila Embassy

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

September 13th - Annie is a huge success at the Embassy, SHE IS APPROVED!

September 20th - Visa in Hand, tickets purchased..

December 18th - Jumped on Airplane, Philippines for Christmas and New Year's.

December 27th - CFO Seminar Succesfully Completed

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

May 19, 2008 - AOS NOA1 Recieved, Biometrics scheduled for June 18.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the main point in al of this matter, is that one should talk with their spouse prior and during thier stay in the USA about financial (and all) matters. So many couples forget to communicate.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I think the main point in al of this matter, is that one should talk with their spouse prior and during thier stay in the USA about financial (and all) matters. So many couples forget to communicate.

agree

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.