borninabarn

Here we go Again,Wife seding money to Ph.When we dont have it Now

59 posts in this topic

I know this has come up before But my wife keeps sending money(zoom) to ph and we dont have enough right now!Can anyone understand where im coming from? :help:

Trip to ph---------------------------------May16,2005-June3,2005

I-129 sent---------------------------------------------June 27,2005

NOA-1---------------------------------------------------July 5,2005

NOA-2--------------------------------------------------Aug 29,2005

<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> Recieved------------------------------------------Sept.9,2005

Called <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> Recieved unique#forwarded to ph----Sept.14,2005

Unique # MNL2005756XXX

INTERVIEW APPROVED!!!!Thank God!!!-------------------------Feb 27,2005

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going out on a limb here..

Are you saying your wife keeps sending money back to PI and it is hurting your financial state because now you guys don't have enough to live on?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I know this has come up before But my wife keeps sending money(zoom) to ph and we dont have enough right now!Can anyone understand where im coming from? :help:

I understand exactly where your coming from. My money goes to my wifes family also. My friends wife works just so she can send money to her family and it kind of messed up his retirement plans. She needed to go to the dentist but instead sent her money to the filipines. This is thier culture and I don't think we can change it, so I just go along and everyone is happy. I do feel for you, but we understood this before we married them. If possible try to explain money is tight and you have bills to pay also and perhaps she can cut down a bit. Try to reach a peaceful compromise ..

My wife's sister in Montana has had a job for 20 years so that she can earn money to send to her family in the PI. My wife told me when she gets here she'll agree that we will pay all of our own bills before she'll send any money to her family back home. But she's been taking care of them for most of her life, I expect her to be doing much like your wife keeps doing. Not much we can do about it, it's their way of life to help family.

View pictures of my April/May trip to the Philippines

View pictures of my Sept trip to the Philippines

Gary (California, USA) filamflag.gif Fely (Zambales, Philippines)

09-11-06 Married

10-12-06 I-130 Mailed Priority

10-14-06 Delivered to CSC

10-16-06 CSC receipt date

10-18-06 NOA1 date

10-19,20,21-06 Touched

12-28,29-06 Touched and very happy about it

12-28-06 NOA2 date

01-15-07 Received at NVC & DS3032 & AOS bill sent

01-20-07 AOS fee bill received

01-30-07 eMailed DS3032 choice of agent

02-05-07 Received email approval for DS3032

02-20-07 Received I-864 package

02-23-07 Received IV fee bill

02-27-07 Paid IV fee

03-12-07 Info packet generated

03-20-07 Mailed I-864 package

03-31-07 Received info packet

04-04-07 RFE mailed by NVC

04-26-07 Mailed RFE response & DS-230 packet to NVC

04-30-07 NVC receives papers

05-10-07 Case complete

05-22-07 Case left NVC

05-24-07 Received pkt 4 in California

06-07-07 Medical Exam

06-28-07 Interview (approved)

06-24-07 - 07-16-07 Gary's trip to Philippines, and I brought Fely home

07-27-07 SSN card received

08-13-08 Green card received

07-10-09 I-751 mailed

08-15-09 Lifting of conditions approved

Talk and explain to your wife about your having a financial problem, too. I'm sure your wife will understand you and she can explain it to her family back in the Philippines. Let her know you're paying bills and other things and need to save, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Did you have the money talk before you got married?

It's not uncommon for Pinays to help out their families. When I was back home, I was the sole breadwinner, thank goodness we're a small family - just me, my Mom and my bro. When I got married, my husband was the one worried for my mom and bro and volunteered to send them money equivalent to how much I was providing when I was still there. Well, that's about $600 a month, no way!

My bro eventually found a great job and is now doing very well. I still send money, albeit not regularly, only when we have extra (after paying all the bills, maxing out our RIRAs and TSPs and all that savings carp). I manage the money here at home, so I know how much bills we're paying. I set up a spreadsheet for that and show it to hubby so he knows how we are financially.

I suggest that you have a discussion with her about retirement, show her a budget worksheet and talk about how helping her family is putting strain on her new family.

Good luck!

*** My Mom's N-400 Journey ***

05/09/2015 - Mailed N-400 application packet to the Phoenix, AZ lockbox

05/11/2015 - Delivered per USPS tracking

05/14/2015 - Check cashed

05/19/2015 - Received NOA

06/02/2015 - Biometrics Appointment

06/04/2015 - In line

08/06/2015 - Interview scheduled per USCIS website

09/11/2015 - Interview - PASSED!

09/18/2015 - Received oath letter

09/22/2015 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Borninabarn,

Good luck on your immigration journey. In answer to your concerns, your wife is married you and is living with you here in the USA, not with her family in Ph. The marriage and her family here comes first, otherwise, just tell her to move back to the Ph if she doesn't want to help you out here. As a married person, her priorities, obligations, and responsiblities are with you here in the USA. There is no reason to send money over there to the Ph if you cannot afford to do so (unless there is extra money), as they can provide for themselves there overseas. If she wants to help her family in the Ph, do it by other means, not just financial means now, especially as you are in financial trouble here. You too shouldn't have to be the one to suffer because of her family overseas!

Sorry to be so upfront about this, as frankly I don't agree with this cultural difference of sending money to the family overseas that can provide for themselves. The priorities should be for the marriage here instead. If there is extra money to send to help out, then fine, send it to help out. Otherwise, don't spend money that you don't have, and end up being in debt and miserable here. I have a friend who is possibly going to go through the same situation and I have warned many him about this. Sigh...I guess like you, he'll have to learn the hard way too....

Gee, I have to wonder: Why don't people discuss the financial issues (especially issues regarding sending money to family) before and during their marriage?

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I have the same issue with Claudeth right now. She makes a good wage so can afford to send them money each month but she is getting them used to it and what will happen in four years when I retire and we start traveling and the money stops! I don't mind her helping her siblings get an education so maybe they can start helping her parents, neither of which work, but I am afraid that if she continues to just blanketly support them it will have a very negative affect in the long run.

I do have to commend the Filipino mentality when it comes to family and that is what really attracted me to that culture. I am just concerned for the future of her parents. I guess she could always bring them here and then when I retire they can travel with us :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

well you are entitled to your disagreement , have you tried to put yourself in her shoes or you are just too comfortable in your own culture ? Helping your family back home is a responsability especially to your parents (they raised you , sacrificied their lifes for you and only you,etc...).

Now my advice to the original poster .I am from Madagascar and our culture is similar - in the sense we have to support our family , but I am doing it in the following way : Set the lowest possible amount of monthly contribution I can send (100 Eur/month) , this amount enables me to provide a regular flow of money regarless of my financial situation (not so hard to afford this 100).

The advantage I found about this regular contribution are the following :

+ the smiles of my parents (with a lot of blessing and prayers _heheehe)

+ I have to discipline myself (making sure I pay the tax man and my family contribution)

Marrying someone from another culture requires concessions on both part (yes even on the american part ,funny enough) . In your particular case I would discuss about the amount of money you can afford to send to the family back in the philippines because not sending any money is just not an option (in my culture it is seen as being selfish) .

Regards,

Hi Borninabarn,

Good luck on your immigration journey. In answer to your concerns, your wife is married you and is living with you here in the USA, not with her family in Ph. The marriage and her family here comes first, otherwise, just tell her to move back to the Ph if she doesn't want to help you out here. As a married person, her priorities, obligations, and responsiblities are with you here in the USA. There is no reason to send money over there to the Ph if you cannot afford to do so (unless there is extra money), as they can provide for themselves there overseas. If she wants to help her family in the Ph, do it by other means, not just financial means now, especially as you are in financial trouble here. You too shouldn't have to be the one to suffer because of her family overseas!

Sorry to be so upfront about this, as frankly I don't agree with this cultural difference of sending money to the family overseas that can provide for themselves. The priorities should be for the marriage here instead. If there is extra money to send to help out, then fine, send it to help out. Otherwise, don't spend money that you don't have, and end up being in debt and miserable here. I have a friend who is possibly going to go through the same situation and I have warned many him about this. Sigh...I guess like you, he'll have to learn the hard way too....

Gee, I have to wonder: Why don't people discuss the financial issues (especially issues regarding sending money to family) before and during their marriage?

Ant

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
How did your wife's family manage to survive in the Philippines before your wife was able to send them money? :whistle:

Seriously, sacraficing your life to help your fiancee's family have a better one is rediculous. Both of your lives comes first, then if there is some left over, then you can help her family.

Seems convenient that she came over her, puts you into financial burden while her family is living the life back in PI. You should talk to your wife, family is important, but also the two of you. What if you decide to have kids one day? Who comes first? Your kids or her family?

K1 Time Line

Don and Linh

October 22, 2006 - Sent I-129F

November 2, 2006 - NOA1

January 30, 2007 - NOA2

February 8, 2007 - Arrives at NVC

February 12, 2007 - Arrives at Consultate in HCMC

February 28, 2007 - Consulate sends out Packet 3

March 8, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved

May 11, 2007 - Packet 3 recieved by Consulate

Helping is all well and good, but not when you don't have it to give. That's just crazy.

If my fiancée, Jacki, came from a poor family with many young mouths to feed still, I would look at the situation like this: We would be living in a nice new house here, as I am living alone in right now, with a new car, and a semi-fair job to pay all of our bills. There in the Philippines, the situation could be a family, in abject poverty, with little money coming in (think $10/day), who live in a cardboard box on the streets, in unsanitary conditions, no airconditioning, no refrigerator, no toilet, no medical care, few if any nice clothes (talking about general tshirts, shorts, shoes here...not suits and dress shirts/pants), etc., and a possible diet of leftovers (from more fortunate folks) or long spoiled fruits to be shared between two parents and three to eight children. This is not the situation with Jacki's family, by a long shot, but it very well could be with any other Filipino fiancée or wife's family. Just think about it. We here in America live like kings, even if we think we are poor or are barely making ends meet. Next time you want to chew out your wife for a desire to send family to a family who may very well need the money more than you do, think about that. Go without Aircon for a month...it's cooler in most parts of USA in summer than it is in Philippines, trust me!!! Just be open to communication and be open to compromise. Maybe one day her family may thank you in ways that you never dreamed possible.

David

D&J

05-26-2006: Engaged!!

DHS/USCIS - I-129F

02-26-2007: Petition Mailed to TSC via Express Mail

03-06-2007: NOA1 "Notice"

03-07-2007: Check cashed (posted 03-12-2007)

03-12-2007: NOA1 Received in Mail from CSC

06-11-2007: NOA2 Received in Mail from CSC

NVC

06-22-2007: NVC Received Case

06-26-2007: NVC Sent to Manila Embassy (got DOS Case #)

07-02-2007: Received Letter from NVC, dated June 27, 2007

USE-Manila

06-26-2007: USE received case electronically

07-05-2007: USE received hard copy of case from NVC

07-31-2007: J receivied Packet 4

08-16/17-2007: J did early Medical Review at St. Luke's

09-10-2007: Interview Approved!

09-14-2007: Visa in HAND!!

02/21/2008: USA Arrival

03/29/2008: Wedding!

05/12/2008: Mailed AOS via Express Mail

05/21/2008: Check clears our bank account

05/22/2008: Touch on all three apps

05/23/2008: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP arrives from MSC (notice date 5/19/08)

05/24/2008: Received Biometrics Appt. Letter

06/16/2008: Biometrics Appt. at Durham Office

06/17/2008: EAD & AOS touched

07/21/2008: AP "Approval Notice Sent" & EAD "Card Production Ordered" via CRIS Email

07/25/2008: 2 copies of AP approval form received in snail mail, dated 7/21/08

07/28/2008: EAD Card arrives in mail; CRIS email sent I765 (EAD) "Approval Notice Sent"

11/25/2008: Received Appt. Letter dated 11/18/2008 (Appt. is 1/13/09)

01/13/2009: AOS Interview approved

01/20/2009: AOS Approval Notice received

01/23/2009: 2-year Green Card received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Helping is all well and good, but not when you don't have it to give. That's just crazy.

If my fiancée, Jacki, came from a poor family with many young mouths to feed still, I would look at the situation like this: We would be living in a nice new house here, as I am living alone in right now, with a new car, and a semi-fair job to pay all of our bills. There in the Philippines, the situation could be a family, in abject poverty, with little money coming in (think $10/day), who live in a cardboard box on the streets, in unsanitary conditions, no airconditioning, no refrigerator, no toilet, no medical care, few if any nice clothes (talking about general tshirts, shorts, shoes here...not suits and dress shirts/pants), etc., and a possible diet of leftovers (from more fortunate folks) or long spoiled fruits to be shared between two parents and three to eight children. This is not the situation with Jacki's family, by a long shot, but it very well could be with any other Filipino fiancée or wife's family. Just think about it. We here in America live like kings, even if we think we are poor or are barely making ends meet. Next time you want to chew out your wife for a desire to send family to a family who may very well need the money more than you do, think about that. Go without Aircon for a month...it's cooler in most parts of USA in summer than it is in Philippines, trust me!!! Just be open to communication and be open to compromise. Maybe one day her family may thank you in ways that you never dreamed possible.

David

ya but LisaD is talkin about when you can actually afford to help the SO's relatives... sure if u have some extra cash yea why not.. but when there's barely enough money to pay bills, rent, mortgage, whatever, are you gonna sacrifice a whole week's meals, or something like that, in order to send money to ur SO's country?

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I would sacrifice those things because I know that my wife have difficulty finding jobs and that the country she lives in is poor enough. And, I know for sure that I can make money again if I loose everything or I can always get back on track here in the states. My wife is more important than money. I wouldn't mind loosing everything because I know I can get it back. I would even settle to room with college students with an apartment since it would be cheaper. I would find ways of surviving here in the States. I hate seeing my wife living in poverish environments, and her family while I have the luxury of electricity, phone, tv, transportation and she have non of this.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.