SpyderRyder

My fiancee had to leave before we could get married on K-1 visa

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Holy cow. Welcome to another edition of VJ misinformation. The K-1 can be reissued.

SpyderRyder, you have to act fast. Contact the US Embassy in Brazil. The K-1 can be reissued. You have about 50 days. The K-1 must be reissued before her original 90 days were up; so February 27 is the deadline.

Here is the relevant information from the US State Department (the folks in charge of US embassies and giving out visas);http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87391.pdf

9 FAM 41.81 N6.3 Reissuance of K-1 Visa (CT:VISA-1547; 09-27-2010) If a K-1 visa, valid for a single entry and a 6-month period, has already been used for admission into the United States and the alien fiancé(e) has returned abroad prior to the marriage, the consular officer may issue a new K visa, provided that the period of validity does not exceed the 90th day after the date of initial admission of the alien on the original K visa, provided the alien fiancé(e) pays a new application processing fee, and provided also that the petitioner and beneficiary still intend and are free to marry. The alien’s return to the United States and marriage to the petitioner must take place within 90 days from the date of the original admission into the United States in K status.

Timeline

In VERY rare cases, an embassy will reissue a K1 that has already been "used." This is not typically done, and would only happen in the event you can prove extreme need for her to have left, and that she will return to the US within the original 90 days. You can try to email the embassy to see if they will do this, but expect that you will need to either restart the K1 process, or go to Brazil, marry her and file a CR1.

How do you know that the K-1 is only reissue in "VERY rare cases?"

9 FAM 41.81 N6.3 Reissuance of K-1 Visa (CT:VISA-1547; 09-27-2010) If a K-1 visa, valid for a single entry and a 6-month period, has already been used for admission into the United States and the alien fiancé(e) has returned abroad prior to the marriage, the consular officer may issue a new K visa, provided that the period of validity does not exceed the 90th day after the date of initial admission of the alien on the original K visa, provided the alien fiancé(e) pays a new application processing fee, and provided also that the petitioner and beneficiary still intend and are free to marry. The alien’s return to the United States and marriage to the petitioner must take place within 90 days from the date of the original admission into the United States in K status.

The word here is 'MAY', it is not a MUST! It is up to the CO's discretion whether they want to reissue you a new K1 or not.

And You probably have to re-submit all the USCIS forms, Police Certificate, Medical check-up for them to re-create the brown K1 envelope handed over during the POE.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

The word here is 'MAY', it is not a MUST! It is up to the CO's discretion whether they want to reissue you a new K1 or not.

And You probably have to re-submit all the USCIS forms, Police Certificate, Medical check-up for them to re-create the brown K1 envelope handed over during the POE.

Of course, it's "may." Have you ever heard of a visa that "must" be issued? All visas are discretionary, the US Supreme court said so.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I've seen it done a few times, more as of late than before. Usually there is a good compelling reason why the beneficiary needed to return.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Okay....I have no supporting data for the frequency of times a K1 is reissued, but I have only heard of it a couple of times

I know you have been a longtime member of this forum and are quite knowledgeable and helpful, but sometimes you seem a bit confrontational

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

I've seen it done a few times, more as of late than before. Usually there is a good compelling reason why the beneficiary needed to return.

Marriage is what puts the kibosh in getting the K-1 reissued.

In the cases where the K-1 visa holder leaves the US, it seems that most have already gotten marry before leaving. This precludes reissuing the K-1. It's the might as well get marry, so we can file for the CR-1 scenario. Very few on VJ seem to leave without marrying and have time left on the 90 days. In the cases where the K-1 leaves without marrying and has time remaining on the 90 days, the K-1 have been reissued. The critical factor for those who didn't get marry is the time remaining on those 90 days which includes the time it takes the US Embassy to act on the request.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In addition to aaron2020's correct information above:

When possible -- when you know that the K-1 beneficiary has to return home but has the chance to re-enter the U.S. within the original 90 days -- contact the consulate first, to let them know the situation.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I dont understand why you didnt just go get married before she left? It takes a few mins at the court house to get married. It is all in hindsight I guess, but that would be my advice to anyone in your situation. Go to the court house get married. Then you have met the terms of the K1, and youd be able to get a waiver for her to leave before her AOE for medical reason.

Timeline

Okay....I have no supporting data for the frequency of times a K1 is reissued, but I have only heard of it a couple of times

I know you have been a longtime member of this forum and are quite knowledgeable and helpful, but sometimes you seem a bit confrontational

You told the OP that it was very rare for a K-1 to be reissued. I simply asked how did you know that.

My fiancée arrived in the US on Nov. 29, 2015. We had planned to get married this month(January). She started feeling bad and returned to Brasil on Jan. 9 to resolve her medical issues. I started a new job and do not have insurance to help her.

You seem to be getting great advice on this thread! When do you think you will get your health insurance started on your job? One thing that I didn't know (even though I asked - was given wrong information by my HR person) was that I could have added my husband on my health insurance up to 30 days before our marriage and we didn't need an SSN for him. I had scheduled our JOP ceremony before his arrival, so when I had this date, I could have added him. Each insurance policy is different, but you may want to find out what you can do in your situation. I just want to encourage you to look at the forms and requirements yourself rather than asking someone who should know! If I would have read the form rather than relying on my HR rep, I would have been able to add him sooner, but thankfully, our situation isn't difficult as yours is!

Signature coming soon...

Trying to get the existing K-1 re-issued should be your first move.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Then you have met the terms of the K1, and youd be able to get a waiver for her to leave before her AOE for medical reason.

Well, not that easy. There is no "waiver". What one could do is schedule an InfoPass meeting and request for an expedited AP, but all that assume they are ready to file for AOS immediately after the marriage. Plus you need to wait the week or more for the certified marriage certificate to be received.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I dont understand why you didnt just go get married before she left? It takes a few mins at the court house to get married. It is all in hindsight I guess, but that would be my advice to anyone in your situation. Go to the court house get married. Then you have met the terms of the K1, and youd be able to get a waiver for her to leave before her AOE for medical reason.

You can only try for emergency AP if you've filed the AOS papers and received your NOA1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.