colombianmainer

AOS proof of relationship - just pictures

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello guys, my husband (USC) and I (K-1) along with my 6 year old (K2) are sending out package tomorrow and i am a bit concerned as to what exactly the USCIS is looking at for proof of relationship. I have read many threads where people state that they want to look at both our names being in official pieces of paper like rental/lease agreements, joint bank accounts, etc etc etc you know, and we dont have that, i mean, we are living in the same apartment he has always had since 6 years ago, we dont see the necesity of opening a joint bank account at the moment since i wont be working until i get my permit so. I only have a letter from the SSN office with the address of our apartment and that pretty much shows that i get mail and that i live here too. We also have a bunch of pictures of all three of us and facebook screenshots of everything we have done since i arrived to the USA and thats all the proof i have. Is there any chance we could "pass the test" with only that? Or do you think we should try and possibly get an update on his rental agreement to add my name on it as well?

Thanks in advance for your responses and please be nice.

Edited by colombianmainer

It's worth to open join account, it will be easier for you to get credit card for yourself later. We done joint account no matter I'm still waiting for work permit and I was able to get credit card to start building my credit history.. And as mentioned in other topics, joint account is quite good proof ..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The necessity of a joint bank account may be to get an approved AOS and greencard...not so much just whether your working or not. Just pictures probably won't be enough.

There are many documents you can obtain to show proof of a bonafide marrage...insurance policies and being listed as beneficiary on life insurance policies and retirement accounts, living wills, cards from family members for holidays, joint credit card accounts, utility bills, etc

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse

View this Wiki for guidance. (Scroll to the botoom for the list of possible evidences)

Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

It is not a requirement for you to submit evidence of relationship for AOS. Your copy of marriage certificate is enough.

You can look at this link http://www.visajourn...-list-included/ on what to submit. It's pretty much applies to everyone's AOS from a K1/K2.

Make sure you make copies of all the documents you submit for the AOS/EAD/AP, that will come in handy if you have an interview. During interview, that will be the time when they can ask for some bona fide evidence of your relationship with your spouse.

Also, as Yoveeta mentioned, It's always worth to open join account. It is quite good proof. And you will need this anyway, during possible AOS interview or later, at ROC stage.

Good Luck!!!!

Edited by Ksenia_O

My daughter-in-law (Brazil) had her AOS interview last Friday.

I prepared their paperwork and sent copies of evidence of join accounts along with her AOS package. (stuff like phone account, AAA membership (no bank account since she doesn't have physical SSN card)

I also prepared 2 huge folders full of "evidence" for them to take.

Their AOS interview lasted approx. 10 minutes and they were not asked to show anything they took with them

The lady saw their folders and laughed that they took so much stuff with them...said it wasn't needed unless it was a complicated case

I would put as much as you have in your AOS application and see what happens.

It makes me nervous that interviewers say that because you can bet your bottom dollar that if they had take just marriage certificate and proof of wedding, they would have been asked for more stuff!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Hi,

Im gonna tell you what we did, when I got here a year ago as K-1 holder:

After got my SSN 3 weeks later, my now husband asked to the admin office If they can add me as one of the persons living in the apartment with him (he was living there almost 8 years ago and I was his fiance yet) and they said yes, the landlord office only asked me my SSN to do it and they did it really without a problem, so I was in his records without sign a lease, (we thought will be a good idea cause we will need it as part of the AOS in the future).

He added me to his health insurance too because I needed the vaccinations for the AOS.

About the bank account, after we got married within the 90 days, my husband asked to the bank add me to his account (we did not open a new one), they said yes and only asked my SSN, my passport with the I-94 and the marriage certificate. We did this even knowing that I was not able to work, because I will need a debit card to the usual activities.

I'm gonna be added soon to his car insurance too before get my drivers license.

So, we got ready to present in the AOS interview a letter of the landlords office, the letter of the bank and the insurance, plus pictures and affidavits, but we got lucky and my AOS was approved without interview.

Hope this helps.

Good luck in your journey and regards.

M.

event.png

Nov/28/2017 -- Mailed I- 751 ROC to USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.

Nov/30/2017 -- Package was delivered in USCIS Vermont Service Center via USPS.                                                                       

Dec/04/2017 --  Fee check cash out.  

Dec/07/2017 --  NOA 1 with December 01/2017 as the date.

Dec/23/2017 --  Biometrics letter dated December 15/2017 and appointment scheduled 01/02/2018 at 10 am. 

Jan/02/2018 --  Biometrics appointment at 10 am.      

Aug/11/2018 --  NOA 18 months extension letter dated Aug/06/2018   from Vermont Service Center.    

Feb/25/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Feb/27/2018 -- Case received at local office (USCIS tracker- no letter not e-mail) 

Jan/30/2019 -- Case Approved. New card is being produced (DHS- USCIS website & USCIS tracker)     

Feb/04/2019 --  Received  letter with Approval notice 1-797 (notice date Jan 30/2019).

Feb/05/2019 -- Green card in hand! 

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the responses everyone. My husband doesnt like the idea of neither opening a joint bank account or add me to his, so i guess ill probably have to go with a rental/lease agreement, or just pictures and figure out the RFE or interview paperwork later. You probably already understand what having a stubborn partner is like..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I guess there is trust issue here... I understand for same people it takes time, but if he don't want to open new joint account to show that you're doing finances together.. Hmm ask him how he likes and idea to be not approved for your green card... I'm not saying it's essential, but it'a worth to have it both for your interview, and your financial security later.. I hope all will be good with your application, no matter stubborn husband..

+1.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

For my husband's AOS we sent in one joint bank account statement and that's it for evidence. He was approved without an interview and no RFE asking for more evidence. I added him to the one utility bill that I was able to and added him to my insurance (kept papers documenting that) and to my lease so we'd have more evidence if we had an interview. So send in a few pictures if you want and any bill with both names on it. And then find a few other pieces of evidence in case you have an interview.

The time you'll really need evidence is in two years when you go to remove conditions. So get added to what you can and start a file of evidence for that. And if you have an interview for AOS you'll be prepared because you've already started your evidence file for the next process.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tax Returns, Pictures, Bank Accounts, Insurance Documents, Drivers Licenses, Leases, Car Titles. You are proving that their is a bonafide relationship. Whatever it takes to prove it, do it.

event.png

event.png

He doesn't want to open a joint bank account with you? That's... interesting. I always thought the whole "what's mine is yours" concept was generally seen as a part of marriage. I would still try and push for it... It is possible that you may be approved without and interview and without needing to provide any proof at all, but in the case that they do bring you in for an interview they are probably looking for more than just what they could find on Facebook...

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.