K&J Avouzi

Husband was DENIED VISA today??????

83 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I really do not see what a Congressperson could do, you know the reason.

I agree with you. One visit wasn't enough. 6 months of meeting then the first visit, an engagement and marriage at the same time. I think that's the issue they had. There's still hope tho for the second go around. Your intentions to visit is a very good start.

Married: 2013: 2013-12-28

USCISI-130 sent: 2014-10-30(Nebraska)

I-130 NO1: 2014-11-06

I-130 Approved : 2015-04-01

USCIS mailed: 2015-04-10

NVC RECEIVED :2015-04-16

Case # Assigned: 2015-04-22

Received DS-261: 2015-04-22

Submitted Ds-261: 2015-04-22

AOS Bill Invoiced: 2015-04-23

AOS Bill Paid: 2015-04-23

Submit AOS and IV packages: 2015-04-25

Scan dates for both packages: 2015-04-27

Ds-261 Reviewed over the phone: 2015-05-01 (9 days after submission)

IV Bill invoiced: 2015-05-04

IV Bill paid: 2015-05-08

AOS checklist received by NVC: 2015-06-19

IV Bill online paid again:: double payment but will get me through ds-260 ( email request for refund will be sent soon) 2015-06-21

IV Bill shows as paid: 2015-06-23

IV Application DS-260 FINALLY SUBMITTED: 2015-06-24

(I guess scan date is 2015-06-24)Hopefully, a shorter wait to case complete.

CASE COMPLETE !!! August 5th 2015

Interview date ***finally. November 10th, 2015

Interview Results: APPROVED! Less than 5 minutes. Glory to God.

POE: .....JFK

Timeline

Also, I wanted to know if I should NOW get a immigration lawyer or is this something we can handle on our own?

Married: 3-19-14

Case Complete: 7-7-15
Interview Notice: 9-15-15
Interview: 10-8-15 (Was denied... :ranting::crying: )

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure what a Lawyer can do, the issue is mainly in your hands. But I would never stop someone using one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

To answer a few questions:

1. I've only been there once.
  2. That's when we had our engagement party and was married.
  3. I haven't been back because we cant really afford it and we didn't have a clue that this would take so long. Each time we thought to travel we would heard back from the NVC giving us hope that the end of all this was right around the corner.
  4. Now that he was denied, I plan to head back in January. While there, we will obtain more "bona fide" supporting documentation. Any tips?
  5. We dated 6 mos then I took the long trip there and got married. I know you're wondering, but for religious purposes we don't see the need for long engagements.

**Most importantly, had I known what I know now...I would have stayed longer, went back more frequently, documented EVERYTHING, and even stage things. I say staged because the truth isn't enough. They WANT to see the fluff. Baffles me...

Oh! And since he was denied I haven't written my local congressman and senators for ANY assistance they could give. I read on here that its a long shot, but some have been successful. Any advice?

Your issues are the short relationship and the fact that you were engaged and married the first time you met in person, and that you haven't had any face time after that.

You need to build up a stronger bona fida marriage with more face time, so yes, even though it's costly, try and get at least one more visit before re-filing. How about email/chat logs and phone records, did you submit a lot of these as proof as well? Are you in contact with each others' families? If so, maybe submit proof of this as well in the form of emails, calls, cards/letters etc. You need to really front load when you re-file.

If your husband was denied for lack of bona fida proof, I doubt there's anything the Senator/Congressman can do. :(

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

Your issues are the short relationship and the fact that you were engaged and married the first time you met in person, and that you haven't had any face time after that.

You need to build up a stronger bona fida marriage with more face time, so yes, even though it's costly, try and get at least one more visit before re-filing. How about email/chat logs and phone records, did you submit a lot of these as proof as well? Are you in contact with each others' families? If so, maybe submit proof of this as well in the form of emails, calls, cards/letters etc. You need to really front load when you re-file.

If your husband was denied for lack of bona fida proof, I doubt there's anything the Senator/Congressman can do. :(

I met my husband in 2013. I knew him for only 4 months before we got married. I stayed in Ghana for 45 days. We have a 1 year old son. Why the hell would I have a a baby with someone I dont love. Due to the outbreak of Ebola I didnt travel because I didn't want my baby exposed. Its very hard traveling with a baby. I have to work. Most employers are not going to give people all this time off to go toAfrica. These CO's are not realistic.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Also, I wanted to know if I should NOW get a immigration lawyer or is this something we can handle on our own?

I would save the thousands to pay a lawyer and instead visit a few more times to spend real time with him. That is the best evidence.

You can get guidance here on how to respond to the NOID/NOIR letter for rebuttal.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Agree real time counts, I doubt very much they have doubts about your commitment.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I met my husband in 2013. I knew him for only 4 months before we got married. I stayed in Ghana for 45 days. We have a 1 year old son. Why the hell would I have a a baby with someone I dont love. Due to the outbreak of Ebola I didnt travel because I didn't want my baby exposed. Its very hard traveling with a baby. I have to work. Most employers are not going to give people all this time off to go toAfrica. These CO's are not realistic.

It's not about you loving him but him convincing the CO of his love for you and not have underlying immigration benefit intentions.

Many bedazzle USC women and would love to impregnate them for more solid relationship evidence or so they think.

Did you include a letter stating that you have not traveled due to Ebola fear / no time off from job / new baby/ to give to the CO for the interview ?

They can't read your mind and you must convince them together if you lack real face time.

Generally speaking, it's so important to front load front load front load everything and be on the premises for the interview or wait a while to file a petition until

all ducks are in a row and one is financially stable enough to travel more.

Wishing all Ghana returns the best for their NOID/NOIR rebuttals. Most rebuttals will be accepted and send back to the embassy with recommendation

to approve, seldom is a CR/IR truly denied by USCIS.

Compared to all the returns, I don't read too many posts here asking advice about how to respond to NOID/NOIR's and wonder why.

Perhaps the relationships have fallen apart over the long review wait. If anyone receives the NOID/NOIR then run it by the forum for input.

The wait is cruel, the unknown is a terrible trigger for anxiety, been there myself with a failed K1 after 16 months in AP;

it was a long 5 year journey but we overcame it all with a successful re filing and all is well. Stay positive, stay strong.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline

It's not about you loving him but him convincing the CO of his love for you and not have underlying immigration benefit intentions.

Many bedazzle USC women and would love to impregnate them for more solid relationship evidence or so they think.

Did you include a letter stating that you have not traveled due to Ebola fear / no time off from job / new baby/ to give to the CO for the interview ?

They can't read your mind and you must convince them together if you lack real face time.

Generally speaking, it's so important to front load front load front load everything and be on the premises for the interview or wait a while to file a petition until

all ducks are in a row and one is financially stable enough to travel more.

Wishing all Ghana returns the best for their NOID/NOIR rebuttals. Most rebuttals will be accepted and send back to the embassy with recommendation

to approve, seldom is a CR/IR truly denied by USCIS.

Compared to all the returns, I don't read too many posts here asking advice about how to respond to NOID/NOIR's and wonder why.

Perhaps the relationships have fallen apart over the long review wait. If anyone receives the NOID/NOIR then run it by the forum for input.

The wait is cruel, the unknown is a terrible trigger for anxiety, been there myself with a failed K1 after 16 months in AP;

it was a long 5 year journey but we overcame it all with a successful re filing and all is well. Stay positive, stay strong.

My husband played pro-soccer for many years. He has traveled around the world and can get a visa in many countries. He has never applied for a US visa before. He has never been to the US. Never wanted to visit. We are making plans to live outside the US if he doesn't get a US Visa. He's never been married and our child is his first child. We will be vacationing together in Prague Czech Republic during the Christmas and New Years holiday. My point is whats the point of USCIS? They believed our relationship was bonafide. Unless there is new information that USCIS didn't know about they cannot deny visas. We have wasted so much time on this process and there is more to life than a US visa. If my husband does not get a visa we will still be ok. My husband is not kissing nobody's behind for a visa.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately children are not seen as a bonafide tie very much for ANY country. It's proof of sex and nothing more.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My husband played pro-soccer for many years. He has traveled around the world and can get a visa in many countries. He has never applied for a US visa before. He has never been to the US. Never wanted to visit. We are making plans to live outside the US if he doesn't get a US Visa. He's never been married and our child is his first child. We will be vacationing together in Prague Czech Republic during the Christmas and New Years holiday. My point is whats the point of USCIS? They believed our relationship was bonafide. Unless there is new information that USCIS didn't know about they cannot deny visas. We have wasted so much time on this process and there is more to life than a US visa. If my husband does not get a visa we will still be ok. My husband is not kissing nobody's behind for a visa.

USCIS makes a prima facie determination that your husband can apply for a visa based on a legal marriage to you. USCIS does not make a final determination that your relationship is bona fide. The US Embassy makes that determination.

Your statement that "unless there is new information that USCIS didn't know about they cannot deny visas" is also wrong. The burden is on you to prove a bona fide relationship; it's not on the US Embassy to prove with new information that it's not bona fide.

Do what the US government require if you want a visa for your husband. Your choice to not pursue it if your don't want to take the time and energy to satisfy the gatekeepers at the US Embassy.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Unfortunately children are not seen as a bonafide tie very much for ANY country. It's proof of sex and nothing more.

That's not true. I sometimes hate coming on these forums and people make comments they know nothing of. USCIS ask to include children's birth certificates of US spouse and immigrants to prove bodafide marriages.

Getting a green card? Make sure the U.S. government recognizes your marriage as valid

You're building a life together in the U.S. -- but one of you is a citizen and the other is not. Though you've already got your marriage certificate in hand, additional proof must be gathered if you want to successfully get a green card.

Use this checklist to help you authenticate your marriage as bona fide in the eyes of The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Get details on using the following documents effectively when you go for your interview:

• leases or rental agreements
  • a home mortgage
  • car registration
  • letters, photos and gifts
  • joint bank statements or credit card accounts
  • your children's birth certificates

Don't let a lack of evidence derail your application for a green card -- use Nolo's Checklist for Immigrant to Prove Bona Fide Marriage form to gain permanent U.S. residence without hassle or delay.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

That's not true. I sometimes hate coming on these forums and people make comments they know nothing of. USCIS ask to include children's birth certificates of US spouse and immigrants to prove bodafide marriages.

Getting a green card? Make sure the U.S. government recognizes your marriage as valid

You're building a life together in the U.S. -- but one of you is a citizen and the other is not. Though you've already got your marriage certificate in hand, additional proof must be gathered if you want to successfully get a green card.

Use this checklist to help you authenticate your marriage as bona fide in the eyes of The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Get details on using the following documents effectively when you go for your interview:

• a home mortgage
  • car registration

Don't let a lack of evidence derail your application for a green card -- use Nolo's Checklist for Immigrant to Prove Bona Fide Marriage form to gain permanent U.S. residence without hassle or delay.

They ask for it just like affidavits. Affidavits are almost meaningless. Children are secondary evidence

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

• a home mortgage
  • car registration

Be gentle. You made several statements that are wrong. Some people may accuse you of coming on this forum to make comments on things that you know nothing of.

Timeline

USCIS makes a prima facie determination that your husband can apply for a visa based on a legal marriage to you. USCIS does not make a final determination that your relationship is bona fide. The US Embassy makes that determination.

Your statement that "unless there is new information that USCIS didn't know about they cannot deny visas" is also wrong. The burden is on you to prove a bona fide relationship; it's not on the US Embassy to prove with new information that it's not bona fide.

Do what the US government require if you want a visa for your husband. Your choice to not pursue it if your don't want to take the time and energy to satisfy the gatekeepers at the US Embassy.

This is the department of states own guidelines.

9 FAM 42.43 Notes Page 1 of 6

UNCLASSIFIED (U)

9 FAM 42.43 NOTES (CT:VISA-1894; 09-20-2012) (Office of Origin: CA/VO/L/R)

9 FAM 42.43 N1 SUSPENDING ACTION IN PETITION CASES (CT:VISA-1433; 05-27-2010) a. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) possesses exclusive authority over the approval and denial of immigrant visa petitions (except for those filed for aliens classifiable under INA 203© (8 U.S.C. 1153©) or INA 101(a)(27)(D)) (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(27)(D)). You should bear in mind that the Department considers the approval of a visa petition prima facie evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary. b. Therefore, it is your responsibility to review, not to readjudicate petitions. However, in the course of that review, if you obtain sufficient facts so that you know or have reason to believe that the beneficiary is not entitled to the status approved in the petition you will return the petition to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) through the National Visa Center (NVC).

9 FAM 42.43 N2 WHEN TO RETURN PETITIONS (CT:VISA-872; 03-23-2007) You will suspend action and return the petition to USCIS (see 9 FAM 42.43 N3) through NVC if: (1) The petitioner requests suspension of action; (2) You know, or have reason to believe the petition approval was obtained by fraud, misrepresentation, or other unlawful means; or (3) You know or have reason to believe that, despite the absence of fraud, due to changed circumstances or clear error in approving the petition the beneficiary is not entitled to the approved status.

UNCLASSIFIED (U) U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 9 Visas

9 FAM 42.43 Notes Page 2 of 6

UNCLASSIFIED (U)

9 FAM 42.43 N2.1 "Reason to Believe" (CT:VISA-872; 03-23-2007) In general, knowledge and reason to believe must be based upon evidence that USCIS did not have available at the time of adjudication and that such evidence, if available, would have resulted in the petition being denied. This evidence often arises as a result of or during the interview of the beneficiary. Reason to believe must be more than mere conjecture or speculation—there must exist the probability, supported by evidence, that the alien is not entitled to statu

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.