starlisle

My fiances dad has a business, can he "employ" me?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

My fiance's dad has a business. Can he, let say employ me as his secretary and I get a work visa that way? Is there any demands of proof we have to submit?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

In short, no. A work visa is for specialized trained employees or specific skills only. He'd have to prove no American could do the job. That wouldn't happen

Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post violating the TOS (advocating visa fraud) removed along with post quoting. Administrative Action taken.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Because secretary is not a skilled job. For him to try and twist it like it is, when you are simply doing clerical work, that would be the fraud.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Employment-based visa are reserved for specialized professionals. In order for him to hire you, he would need to prove that. H1 visas are not granted for at the level you propose - secretry/admin assist.

How can you call it fraud when he would actually employ me?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

H2B comes to mind if it is seasonal or temporary, anyway something his Immigration Lawyer would handle.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

an H2B does require that an employer demonstrate that no American worker is available/experienced....'proving' that for what is little more than a secretarial position would be laughable...not that many immigration attorneys wouldn't attempt to do so via some creative cover letter...and should you, by some incredible long shot, actually get an approved H2B petition, that is not the same as an approved H2B visa. The CO will be looking at many things during your interview, most importantly, 'why this job at this location?'...'what made you pick the city of 'X' and company 'Y' for this 'seasonal' job? 'What 'job' are you abandoning in your own country, and why?...and here is where a good CO will figure it out....you must have an American fiancé and are looking for a way to circumvent the wait time for the K1 to be processed....of course, you could try to deny you have such a relationship....but imagine what your answers to the first few questions will be and how they will come across, not to mention why you are so willing to quit whatever job (if any) you may have now (and was that job secretarial in nature or something completely different?) And how does your overall job experience coincide with whatever nonsense the immigration attorney wrote in the cover letter? ?There are way too many inconsistencies already, besides trying to find an ethically challenged immigration attorney who would attempt this sort of thing (actually, finding an ethically challenged immigration attorney is incredibly easy...just open the phone book and look in the Yellow Pages under 'immigration attorneys'...and there you will find no shortage of them....now, you might be asking, 'how do I know if they are ethically challenged?'...a good question....with a simple answer....one cannot become an immigration attorney unless they have either (a) taken and failed an ethics course or (b) never taken one at all....it's a prerequisite in order to practice immigration law...whose sole focus is generating billable hours. Of course, that's just my opinion. But ask around....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

an H2B does require that an employer demonstrate that no American worker is available/experienced....'proving' that for what is little more than a secretarial position would be laughable...not that many immigration attorneys wouldn't attempt to do so via some creative cover letter...and should you, by some incredible long shot, actually get an approved H2B petition, that is not the same as an approved H2B visa. The CO will be looking at many things during your interview, most importantly, 'why this job at this location?'...'what made you pick the city of 'X' and company 'Y' for this 'seasonal' job? 'What 'job' are you abandoning in your own country, and why?...and here is where a good CO will figure it out....you must have an American fiancé and are looking for a way to circumvent the wait time for the K1 to be processed....of course, you could try to deny you have such a relationship....but imagine what your answers to the first few questions will be and how they will come across, not to mention why you are so willing to quit whatever job (if any) you may have now (and was that job secretarial in nature or something completely different?) And how does your overall job experience coincide with whatever nonsense the immigration attorney wrote in the cover letter? ?There are way too many inconsistencies already, besides trying to find an ethically challenged immigration attorney who would attempt this sort of thing (actually, finding an ethically challenged immigration attorney is incredibly easy...just open the phone book and look in the Yellow Pages under 'immigration attorneys'...and there you will find no shortage of them....now, you might be asking, 'how do I know if they are ethically challenged?'...a good question....with a simple answer....one cannot become an immigration attorney unless they have either (a) taken and failed an ethics course or (b) never taken one at all....it's a prerequisite in order to practice immigration law...whose sole focus is generating billable hours. Of course, that's just my opinion. But ask around....

If I needed a Secretary that was for example fluent in both English and Swedish I might find it exceptionally difficult finding someone locally.

One of the reasons Employment Visa's are normally handled by Lawyers.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You say 'fiance', why are you bothering with an employment visa? Why not start the K-1?

Good luck

PS - why was 'employ' in quotes?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

You are already doing the K1....why try another route? I know it sucks to wait but hang in there..

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Another post violating the TOS (abusive language) removed. Administrative Action taken.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Not a wise choice, these are the Feds you are dealing with. They will find out EVERYTHING, maybe not immediately, but it will come back to haunt you later.

Not to mention for the past 3-years H1B visa recipients are decided upon by a lottery which only happens once a year (Spring), due to the incredibly high demand.

Even if you're well qualified, already in the US-paying taxes, rent, health, etc-, have had previous US visas, and a job at a great company that sponsors you with premium processing from an experienced lawyer- the odds aren't in your favor. Lottery is a lottery, unless you have a big player like Google/Microsoft/Apple as a sponsor. The lottery for H1-B is why my husband had to move back to EU.

American girl and Swiss/Italian boy who met in San Francisco in 2009, moved to Amsterdam in 2014 and married in Switzerland in 2015. Both living and filed for CR-1 from abroad. (L)

USCIS: California Service Center

07/04/2015: I-130 Sent

07/08/2015: NOA 1

07/30/2015: NOA 2

NVC

08/15/2015: NVC Scan

08/24/2015: NVC Case and IIN Received

08/24/2015: DS-261 Completed

08/24/2015: AOS Fee Received

08/26/2015: AOS Fee Marked as Paid

08/28/2015: IV Fee Received

08/31/2015: AOS Package Scanned

09/02/2015: IV Package Scanned

09/02/2015: IV Fee Marked as Paid

09/02/2015: DS-260 Completed

10/07/2015: NVC flagged for Supervisor Review

10/08/2015: Case Complete!!!

10/09/2015: Interview Date Scheduled

10/13/2015: P4 Interview Letter Received

Consulate

11/10/2015: Medical Appointment

11/17/2015: Interview

EKSwp2.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.