lutz

Ghanaian Husband's Visa CR1 Denied

80 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You know, this topic didn't even cross our minds. He was taking care of the child before he met me as best he could. I saw where and how they were living during our first meeting.

Then, she stayed with us and his sister on and off when I was living there. The sister saw it was difficult for him to care for her properly. He's a good father, but struggling financially himself, has to work, leave her alone at the house etc. This is why the sister stepped in.

When he leaves, she will stay with the sister and we will help her financially to care for her.

Canadian wife,

The age difference is 20 years, but I'm youthful, travel the world and stay very fit. He thought I was much younger when we met, and I thought he was older. The child will stay with his sister.

How can I fight to have it stay in Ghana? That's exactly what I'm trying to do by having the congress person's office intervene.

Thank you for your suggestions,

You may need to overcome the fact that you two plan to leave his daughter there as that sounds like an issue that may suggest to the CO that the relationship is not bona fide. You may also want to get his daughter's birth certificate and his sister's birth certificate so they can demonstrate that his daughter will be staying with his sister and not someone related to him in another manner.

Are they (daughter and sister) staying in the house you two purchased together?

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

They are thinking what some others have stated that he is maybe using you for green card, I had my interview with Alma Gurski and she tried to convince methat because of my husband age and because he's Muslim that he is probably already married with kids?, so if he isn't bringing his daughter where is she suppose to be going when he leaves?

Hello Mrs. Bonsu,

Were you denied on Alma Gurski's preconceived ideas about your husband your marriage to him?

You may need to overcome the fact that you two plan to leave his daughter there as that sounds like an issue that may suggest to the CO that the relationship is not bona fide. You may also want to get his daughter's birth certificate and his sister's birth certificate so they can demonstrate that his daughter will be staying with his sister and not someone related to him in another manner.

Are they (daughter and sister) staying in the house you two purchased together?

Thanks, that's a good idea about the birth certificates. Yes, they will stay in the house we own once we're both together in the States. I won't give up!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We went thru this / the huge RFE that weighed 25 pounds and a lawyer who turned out to be useless. I finally received a notice saying if i wanted to appeal, i could, so i did my owm appeal and won. but had to reapply. The whole process took a long time but should be a bit faster now. Good luck. And if you have to appeal, i can tell you exactly what you need to do, so, write to me for the process. I did win. The CO who said your marriage is valid so immigration may just do AP reviewing her notes and reaffirm your case and send back to embassy. Either way, the Best to you. Let me know if you need anything. At this point it is a matter of waiting for immigraiton to inform you of reasons for denial. BTW we got our visa and he is here a week. It is worth fighting for.

Timeline

Adile and Jeanne, Thanks so much for the support. I have a congressperson intervening at this point to find out exactly why he was denied and given the letter 221 G, which stated nothing, no reason, nothing. The checklist was completely empty.

Is there any way I can try to schedule another interview at the embassy in Accra, Ghana? I would even fly out there myself.

How long did you have to wait for the appeal notice? Yes, my lawyer is also useless and I've decided not to continue with them. I'll do the fighting myself.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you considered being the one to move?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Hello Mrs. Bonsu,

Were you denied on Alma Gurski's preconceived ideas about your husband your marriage to him?

Thanks, that's a good idea about the birth certificates. Yes, they will stay in the house we own once we're both together in the States. I won't give up!

No we weren't denied we were put in ap since September of last year, I went to my senator for help and they responded to the senator to give them 45 to 60 days to finish the ap, so our case is sitting collecting dust, or used as a door stop, or to fan the consulars with when there is a power outage??? so it's been 45 days now and counting?

Timeline

Oh, I'm sorry to read this, and I definitely understand the frustration. I wish there were somewhere even higher than the congress people or senators. But all is out of our control.

Also, I believe our case is AP because of the letter given to my husband. It is a 22 (g) letter, but with no concrete reason listed. Just that the case is being sent back to NVC, then to USCIS.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Im reading through these posts with my husband, the beneficiary, and before I can even finish reading some of the sentences, he's finishing them for me. In other words, he's "assuming" there is more to this story than what is being conveyed. NOT to say, that there is anything weird going on...but that a few things are not adding up or could have another meaning all together. If he is thinking this, than certainly I can see why a CO would have doubts too. The issue with his daughter seems a little odd. If he has been taking care of her , her whole life, why wouldnt you have petitioned for her too? How certain are you that the "sister" is actually his sister? Why would you guys purchase a house in Ghana if you intend to live in the US? Property in Ghana is extremely expensive. I think I read that you stayed with him for 8 months...is this 8 months total or 8 months straight? I pray you can get a second interview, I think its the only way they can clear all this up without it being dragged out too long. Get all the evidence you can about his daughter, mother and the living situation to clear any doubts they might have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Please add my regrets to those who have commented but my thoughts also go to the child who was not petitioned for although the beneficiary was the main caretaker with an absentee mother. I can't imagine the set of circumstances where that seems reasonable and without explanation from the beneficiary, the CO probably couldn't either. Tough situation. I hope you are able to navigate this successfully.

OP, why didn't you and your husband think his daughter not being on the petition was going to be an issue? Ghana is a notoriously difficult/borderline impossible embassy to petition through (at least according to what I've seen on VJ). What sort of questions did they ask about his daughter's future when he immigrates?

Did he ever go through the courts to ensure he maintained sole custody of her? Are there any school records, such as emergency contact designation, or medical records, such as him taking financial responsibility of a doctor's visit that may show her mother has not been involved in her life?

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

Well I didn't think of it because I've never dealt with the US embassy in Ghana. I can't think of everything. The situation with the daughter may seem weird, but it's the truth.

Yes, there are school records where he is the sole contact. I won't get into the personal reasons we bought a house, but we needed a place to live and an investment, and hate to rent.

Please add my regrets to those who have commented but my thoughts also go to the child who was not petitioned for although the beneficiary was the main caretaker with an absentee mother. I can't imagine the set of circumstances where that seems reasonable and without explanation from the beneficiary, the CO probably couldn't either. Tough situation. I hope you are able to navigate this successfully.

Thank you. He suffered a lot through this situation, and he continues to suffer from her actions. At least now I know what the red flags are and can address them.

Oprah?

The President?

This may be a joke for you, but it's not for me. If you don't have anything constructive to add, please keep the sarcasm to yourself. Thank you.

Timeline

Im reading through these posts with my husband, the beneficiary, and before I can even finish reading some of the sentences, he's finishing them for me. In other words, he's "assuming" there is more to this story than what is being conveyed. NOT to say, that there is anything weird going on...but that a few things are not adding up or could have another meaning all together. If he is thinking this, than certainly I can see why a CO would have doubts too. The issue with his daughter seems a little odd. If he has been taking care of her , her whole life, why wouldnt you have petitioned for her too? How certain are you that the "sister" is actually his sister? Why would you guys purchase a house in Ghana if you intend to live in the US? Property in Ghana is extremely expensive. I think I read that you stayed with him for 8 months...is this 8 months total or 8 months straight? I pray you can get a second interview, I think its the only way they can clear all this up without it being dragged out too long. Get all the evidence you can about his daughter, mother and the living situation to clear any doubts they might have.

Yes, now I see. I just didn't see before how it would be interpreted differently. I lived there straight, for 8 months. We got a house even though we want to live in the US because we can either rent it our, hold for investment and let his daughter and sister live in it. I know what you're saying, but it is his sister. And he is going to get her birth cert to show that, alongside his daughter's. I do appreciate all the suggestions, they are helping in building the proof he will need to overcome this obstacle. thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Not to judge or beat up on anyone, but in any culture or language a father that raised

his abandoned child will not up & leave the child to live half way across the world with

obviously no intention of taking the kid or have that kid follow his move,,,after all the

kid is already rejected by one parent, right ! Only recently one VJer met a single dad &

she petition him and kid with cerebral Palsy & they were approved, that showed they have

a bonafide relationship because without love not many with take in a child with medical

probs that cannot walk

From the COs point why purchase a home when he is planning to migrate, financially

struggling you said , but a home & car was purchased...in COs mind sugar mama (maybe)

They may have done field check & the sister is not his sister, neighbors chat, If all you

stated is factual ask the laison to attempt at getting another interview quickly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.