NickyFM

Going for 4th Visa. Will immigration be suspicious?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey folks,

so I am back in Australia, having been laid off from my job and E3 Visa sponsorship in New York. I was laid off in March.

However, I am looking to go back to the States and am looking to enrol in an Assoc. Graphic design course at Fullerton College and will be on the F-1 Visa (spoke to college already and i qualify etc)

I do have one question. My history is as follows:
J1 Student Visa (University exchange 2011)
J1 postgrad work Visa (2013. Canceled for E3 in Feb 2014)
E3 (2014 - Feb 2015. Laid off from job March 2015. E3 revoked)
ESTA (May - August 2015)

If I went for an F-1 for a Spring semester 2016 start, would immigration be suspicious in regards to the number of Visas I've had? Especially if I get a job offer whilst a student, and attempt to transfer to an E3 Visa at some point?

I have never overstayed any Visas and have always had 100% legal status in all I've done in the US.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assoc seems odd, what is your existing degree in?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Assoc seems odd, what is your existing degree in?

I have a bachelors degree in Media (Journalism) and a Masters in Pr and Advertising. I have 0 background in Graphic design, which as time goes on, is becoming more of a mandatory for my field. (Advertising). Course is Associates degree in Graphic Design for Advertising.

Timeline

I'd be surprised if it didn't at least come up at the interview. Given your heavy presence in the US on nonimmigrant visas in the past 4 years it might give the impression that you are visa shopping to remain in the US at all costs.

Looks like I'm going to need an Immigration lawyer for this one!

Agreed. It's certainly your right to consult with/retain an attorney, but they cannot change facts. The fact that you have been present in the US for much of the past four years is what is against you. Nothing a lawyer can say or do is going to alter that, unless they have access to a TARDIS.

That being said, it's never a guarantee one way or another with these sorts of things. I'd be surprised if you were approved, but it isn't unheard of.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

How frustrating for NickyFM- obviously loves the U.S. and is attempting to do things the legal way, but may well end up being denied...

ROC Window Opened: Thursday 7th December 2017

Posted Package: Friday 8th December

Package Received at USCIS: Monday 11th December

Check Cashed: Thursday 21 December

NOA Received: Wednesday 27 December

NOA Dated: Tuesday 12 December

Biometrics Letter Received: Saturday 13 January 2018

Biometrics Letter Notice Date: Friday 5 January

Biometrics Appointment: Wednesday 24 January

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 30 July (in an envelope from 'Potomac Service Center' Arlington VA)

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 08 August (in an envelope from 'Vermont Service Center' St Albans VT) different version!

On February 27, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

N-400 Applied 7th December 2018

N400 Interview 11th July 2019. Ended up being a ROC combo interview

ROC Approved 11th July 2019 (a few hours after interview)

N-400 Approved 11th July (a few hours after interview)

Oath Ceremony 22nd July - I am now a US citizen!

I went through Philadelphia:

Thursday July 11: I had my Naturalization Interview

Thursday July 11: A few hours later updated to show Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled

Friday July 12: Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed

Monday July 22: Oath Ceremony

Wednesday July 24: Certificare of Naturalization was mailed

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

How frustrating for NickyFM- obviously loves the U.S. and is attempting to do things the legal way, but may well end up being denied...

Every one on this site is doing everything the legal way, and some are denied or made to wait indefinitely and scrutinized and never get to enter US, well how sad is that? ?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

While it doesn't really matter with an F visa, did you ever complete your 2-year homestay requirement on the J? (Just in case you someday want to be a greencard holder).

Bit us when my wife started her immigration processing.

2012-11-20: Married in USA!

CR-1 Visa (9 Months, 16 Days)
2013-01-21: I-130 Packet Sent
2013-01-29: NOA1
2013-03-25: NOA2
2013-07-08: NVC Case Number Generated
2013-08-21: Medical exam in Moscow
2013-09-17: Expedite request accepted by NVC. Packet forwarded to Moscow embassy.
2013-09-26: Embassy contacted Rita to schedule her interview. Scheduled for 2013-09-30!
2013-09-30: Interview in Moscow - APPROVED!!
2013-10-10: P.O.E. JFK Int'l
2013-11-06: CR-1 Green card in hand!

Removal of Conditions (10 Months, 28 Days)
2015-08-11: i-751 Packet Sent
2015-08-13: NOA Receipt
2015-09-10: Biometrics
2016-06-30: Online Status Changed: New Card Is Being Produced
2016-07-05: i-797 NOA Received
2016-07-09: IR-1 Green card in hand!

Naturalization (6 Months, 29 Days)

2016-10-19: N-400 Filing Date

2016-10-24: N-400 NOA

2016-11-15: Biometrics

2017-04-10: Interview Letter NOA Received

2017-05-18: Interview & Oath

Timeline

Minority of J's have a 2 year HRR.

He knows the issue, the explanation of the logic of what he is doing is important.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Speaking from experience, if you have your documents in order from the SEVP-certified school where you plan to enroll (I-20, SEVIS fee, enrollment letter, etc., on the basis of which the F-1 is issued), you shouldn't have a problem. There is no numerical limit on how many visas for the U.S. an individual can be issued, as long as s/he can show that there is a legitimate reason for going to the U.S. in each instance AND that they have family, assets and more generally ties in their native country and a big part of their life is there.

I cannot comment on your plans for a possible future E3 application since this is specific to Australian citizens and I am not familiar with the specific requirements.

Timeline

Well that is the problem he has.

Every one on this site is doing everything the legal way, and some are denied or made to wait indefinitely and scrutinized and never get to enter US, well how sad is that? ?

I'd say that's sad...what about you?

ROC Window Opened: Thursday 7th December 2017

Posted Package: Friday 8th December

Package Received at USCIS: Monday 11th December

Check Cashed: Thursday 21 December

NOA Received: Wednesday 27 December

NOA Dated: Tuesday 12 December

Biometrics Letter Received: Saturday 13 January 2018

Biometrics Letter Notice Date: Friday 5 January

Biometrics Appointment: Wednesday 24 January

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 30 July (in an envelope from 'Potomac Service Center' Arlington VA)

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 08 August (in an envelope from 'Vermont Service Center' St Albans VT) different version!

On February 27, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

N-400 Applied 7th December 2018

N400 Interview 11th July 2019. Ended up being a ROC combo interview

ROC Approved 11th July 2019 (a few hours after interview)

N-400 Approved 11th July (a few hours after interview)

Oath Ceremony 22nd July - I am now a US citizen!

I went through Philadelphia:

Thursday July 11: I had my Naturalization Interview

Thursday July 11: A few hours later updated to show Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled

Friday July 12: Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed

Monday July 22: Oath Ceremony

Wednesday July 24: Certificare of Naturalization was mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Well you might get by and get the visa BUT it all depends on the officer. Me, myself had a J1 visa for two years (su pair visa, no home requirements) and I was denied my f1 visa and not just once but twice.

Front load and make sure you can tell the counselor why this school/program will be good for you and how you can use that back in your HOME COUNTRY.

And make sure to load up a ton of evidence that you will return home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.