joesteadman1

Very lost and confused at this stage of the K1 Visa application

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok, we have made it this far on the K1 visa journey and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier or less confusing!
We received the notification and believe we have until September the 25th to declare I'm ready for an interview in London.

I have completed the online DS-160.
I am now in the process of getting the documents together for the interview.

Question 1

I'm waiting for the police certificates from abroad and UK but do I have to provide the original documents of everything required or copies or both?
Also, do I have to provide everything we originally sent off? Proof of relationship, pictures, etc... and again, copies or originals or both?

Question 2

I also need to book my medical examination! Can I say I am ready for the interview once I have booked a medical examination or do I have to have

completed the examination to then declare I'm ready? My deadline is approaching fast and unfortunately I will not have any free days in September

to take an examination. I'm really panicking and don't want this year of hard work to be wasted.

Please help me :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

did you study the K-1 HowTo Topic in the UK forum yet? Yes? No? If no, well hey ! get to reading ! If Yes, then you'll have to understand about extending the duration of validity on the I-129F petition.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ok, we have made it this far on the K1 visa journey and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier or less confusing!

We received the notification and believe we have until September the 25th to declare I'm ready for an interview in London.

Question 1

I'm waiting for the police certificates from abroad and UK but do I have to provide the original documents of everything required or copies or both?

Also, do I have to provide everything we originally sent off? Proof of relationship, pictures, etc... and again, copies or originals or both?

Question 2

I also need to book my medical examination! Can I say I am ready for the interview once I have booked a medical examination or do I have to have

completed the examination to then declare I'm ready? My deadline is approaching fast and unfortunately I will not have any free days in September

to take an examination. I'm really panicking and don't want this year of hard work to be wasted.

1: You need the originals of the police certificates. They keep those. You can photocopy them and keep the copies yourself if you wish. I ordered a second official police certificate as I knew they would keep the original one.

Bring the originals of your letters, photos, cards, etc. with you to the interview in case they ask to see them. They already have what you mailed in the application and won't need more photocopies.

Bring evidence, original and copies, of of ongoing relationship since you filed your petition. In my case it was for the last 4 months. Just texts, Skype logs, etc. that they won't already have. It shows that you're still together after mailing the petition in the first place. Bring copies and originals so they can keep the copies if they want. At the very least it shows you've been preparing. :)

Also get a new Letter of Intent to marry from your fiancee, signed much closer to now than the first one you sent with your application.

2: Have all other documentation (certificates, etc) in your hands before sending the Notice of Readiness. The only exception would be that you can schedule your medical and then mail your NoR. You could be waiting weeks for either. You can submit your NoR before your medical takes place.

History
Nov 2005 - Became friends online...... Oct 2006 - Met in person for the first time...... May 2014 - Became girlfriends...... Nov 2014 - I asked her...... Apr 2015 - She asked me

K-1 Visa
2 May 2015 - Mailed I-129F
7 May 2015 - NOA1 received. We got California! (+5 days)
18 June 2015 - NOA2 received. (+6 weeks)

14 July 2015 - NVC received. Had to call them. (+26 days)

23 July 2015 - NVC sent case to Embassy in Dublin. Also had to call the NVC. No notice in mail from NVC and CEAC website still said "At NVC" for 3 more days. (+9 days)

30 July 2015 - Dublin Embassy received case. (+1 week)

31 July 2015 - Packed 3 received after requesting it. It was emailed to Irish Beneficiary. They never contacted US Petitioner as they said they would, probably because I was emailing them already. (+1 day)

4 Aug 2015 - Notification of Readiness emailed to embassy. (+4 days as I had to wait to print necessary documents).

5 Aug 2015 - Medical. Booked before Embassy received case. (Appointment was 9 days after I called to make it)

12 Aug 2015 - Packet 4 received. Notified of interview date. (+8 days after Notification of Readiness was sent).

21 Aug 2015 - INTERVIEW! (+17 days after Notice of Readiness was sent; +22 days after embassy received our case; +106 days, or 15 weeks 1 day, since NOA1)

28 Aug 2015 - Visa Recieved in the mail. (+1 week since interview)

23 Sept 2015 - POE Orlando, FL

9 Oct 2015 - Applied for SSN

17 Oct 2015 - SSN recieved in mail.

19 Nov 2015 - MARRIAGE!

16 Dec 2015 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

14 Jan 2015 - Biometrics appointment (+1 month)

13 Feb 2015 - GC ISSUED! (+1 month) NO INTERVIEW! And no EAD/AP issued!

For a detailed account of my Medical experience, read my blog post HERE

For a detailed account of my Interview in Dublin, read it HERE

Question 1

Question 2

Ok...this is the last time I will reply until you make a timeline.

Disregard the post from Ireland. It is incorrect for London.

Important to know:

1) You can't attend your medical until you have your UK police certificate. They want to see it.

2) You aren't "ready" until you have the foreign police certificate in hand. Some take a long time. Don't send the form.

3) The petition expiration is nothing to worry about. Didn't your letter from London explain what to do? NOT A PROBLEM at all. New letter of intent from the American if your interview will be four months past your petition approval.

4) Original documents to interview. They give them back. No longer want photocopies with the originals.

5) NO proof of relationship, NO original petition package, NO NOA2, NO Photo albums, NO skype for a LONDON interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the UK regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ok...this is the last time I will reply until you make a timeline.

Disregard the post from Ireland. It is incorrect for London.

OMG - OP not fill out a timeline? EEK ! This is sad, I pray he/she not using a handphone to do real research here at VJ ! Handphones SUCK !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

OMG - OP not fill out a timeline? EEK ! This is sad, I pray he/she not using a handphone to do real research here at VJ ! Handphones SUCK !

Yeah...grouchy me wanting dates so I don't have to guess if they got their letter with instructions or not. I already replied to a PM before this. Probably afraid of me now. I am harmless and kind. Really :P

And yeah to the hand phones too. The mobile version of the embassy website just doesn't cut it either.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok, my timeline is now up and running! sorry about that, I'm new to this site :(

I'm currently awaiting my Portuguese criminal certificate having lived there for a few years in my youth. I should get that back in 3/4 weeks.
Lets say the week of September the 14th at the latest.
I will apply for my UK criminal certificate this weekend and will receive that in 10 days.
What documents do I need to have ready for London?

My priority date is September 25th!

Am I going to make it in time? I believe I cannot declare myself ready for an interview unless I have already had my medical correct?
So I'm guessing I need to get my American fiance to write in a letter to show we still intend to marry?
What does that letter need to include if so and where does it send to?

Ok, my timeline is now up and running! sorry about that, I'm new to this site :(

I'm currently awaiting my Portuguese criminal certificate having lived there for a few years in my youth. I should get that back in 3/4 weeks.

Lets say the week of September the 14th at the latest.

I will apply for my UK criminal certificate this weekend and will receive that in 10 days.

What documents do I need to have ready for London?

My priority date is September 25th!

Am I going to make it in time? I believe I cannot declare myself ready for an interview unless I have already had my medical correct?

So I'm guessing I need to get my American fiance to write in a letter to show we still intend to marry?

What does that letter need to include if so and where does it send to?

You won't make it to interview by then so get your fiance to type a letter and get it in the mail to you.

---------------

Address

City, State Zip

August 27, 2015

Embassy of the United States

Immigrant Visa Unit

24 Grosvenor Square

London, W1K 6AH

United Kingdom

To Whom It May Concern:

I, Oprah Winfrey, remain free to marry and intend to marry Joe Steadman within ninety days of his entry into the Unted States on a K1 fiancé visa.

Sincerely,

[sign it here]

Oprah Winfrey

------------

You take it to your interview. Nobody needs to see it by September 25. Positive!

To the rest of you questions.

1) Submit DS-160 now

2) Get your shot records from your GP and shots if you need some.

3) Get UK police in your hands

(need #2 and #3 before attending medical)

4) Make medical appointment.

5) Get Portuguese police certificate in your hands

6) Get I-134 affidavit of support and new letter of intent from fiance in your hands

7) Get the documents on this list in your hands http://photos.state.gov/libraries/unitedkingdom/164203/cons-visa/iv_and_k_interview_checklist2014.pdf skip down to the check boxes. Ignore paragraph 2 and 3. They are not about K1 visas.

8) Submit Readiness for interview form when you have #5, #6, #7. You do NOT have to wait until after you have attended your medical if you have those things listed in your possession.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.