sukhi4498

selective service

25 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello guys I have question I m planning to apply for citizenship I came to USA at the age of 16 but didn't register to selective service now I m 27 will that effect my case. I called selective service # and they told me u don't need to register Noe as u r over 26.please guide me I m applying for naturalization thanks I advance

Timeline

Thanks a lot buddy for ur response. There is no another way to get it. As I can't wait till 32. I will really appreciate it as I m planning to get married and don't want to spomser my wud b on green card as it takes 2 years. I m tensed and stressed out. Plz help me out as mistake was from my side I shud have regjstred

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Too late now, you need to show 5 years good moral character.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you check here? https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx

I read somewhere that DMV sometimes automatically registers people for Selective Service. Not sure though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to US Citizenship General Discussion, from Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

You failed to register for selective service, and that is a requirement for naturalization. You can't register now, so you are officially required to wait until you turn 31, regardless of your personal circumstances.

There are three things you can do:

1 - Double and triple check that you were not automatically registered: check the website, call them again, and write them a letter. Many people are automatically registered.

2 - The law says that knowingly failing to register for selective service is a bar to citizenship for 5 years. However, there are some people who have managed to convince their interviewers that they did not know they had to register. In these cases, they wrote letters explaining that they didn't know they had to register and they also got character references to support their claim of good moral character. This is not an easy thing to prove, because the paperwork you sign when you apply for a green card states that you have to register for selective service. If you were a minor when you got your green card and someone else signed the paperwork, then that might help your case. Also, the welcome pamphlet that came with your green card stated the same requirement. I think this is a difficult option, but I list it because it is possible. The risk of course is that you would waste $680, but it will not affect future applications as long as you are honest about your failure to register.

3 - You will have to wait until you are 31. You stated that you can't wait, but that is irrelevant; if the first two options fail, then you can wait until you are 31 or you can keep applying before then and keep getting denied.

I hope this helps.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Thanks every one I really appreciate it for kindness u guys have shown. Meanwhile I called USCIS and they told me that they need a letter that explain y I didn't register and needs a status information letter from selective service. I know I made a mistake which was not deliberate. I will go for naturalization and will hope for the best

I don't know much about SS, however, when you came over when you were 16, were you the beneficiary of an F2, or, were you already an LPR? If you came as a beneficiary of an F2, I believe you did not have to register since the F2 is a nonimmigrant visa.

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Timeline

Hi tom I came with my parents under F4 category dependent on parents I was 15 at the time I got PR. I didn't do it delebratly but I need to send a letter to USCIS so what should I write can anyone inculcate me

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can still file for your wife though. Better file the i130 now to get things going and just upgrade the petition later on. You'll be wasting time while your n400 is pending.

Timeline

You can still file for your wife though. Better file the i130 now to get things going and just upgrade the petition later on. You'll be wasting time while your n400 is pending.

Agree

Odd that the School did not do it?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thanks apple I m.planning to get married next year so citizen wud have been better choice compared to green card that's y I m thinking of getting naturalization first so what should I write letter to USCIS

Timeline

Can some body edify me if it will b OK to take an info pass appointment and ask officer as in person about this query of selective service. Thanks

Timeline

No harm, but likely no benefit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.