Carol & Tim

I am a permanent resident, married to an US Citizen and my mom just had her visa denied.

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am a single child like many have said, my mom has visited me 4 times in the last 2 years under a tourist visa, my dad came for the first time with her on their last visit in December 2014, always without problems. Ties to Brazil are very important but MOST important thing is the financial situation of applicant. They wana see that applicant has enough money to spend in the US. Brazilian currency is R$3 = $1 so it's very expensive to visit here right now. My mom had the round trip ticket in hands when going to the interview and my dad did the same.

Good luck

-AOS sent (I-485 I-130 and I-765) 03/06/15

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

-NOA in the mail 03/20/15

-Biometric letter 03/27/15

-Biometric appointment 04/06/15

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Too bad the USCIS does not allow Tourist VIsa to put a large bond of money in order to secure they will return.

It seems if your are from Mexico or other country south of Mexici, then you are welcomed opened arm into the USA as long as you come in illegally..........

Too bad the USCIS does not allow Tourist VIsa to put a large bond of money in order to secure they will return.

It seems if your are from Mexico or other country south of Mexici, then you are welcomed opened arm into the USA as long as you come in illegally..........

The problem with that is where do you set the number and who pays it? That would also exclude a lot of people who couldn't afford the bond and cater to people with money, not really a fair way to go imo. I also would imagine that for some any bond would be worth it to get into the US.

Timeline

I have heard of many ways ppl get in the US illegally and some cost 20k + they would have to set the bond really high making it unpracticable

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

Hello all,

I'm very disappointed with US Consulate in Brazil. I've been living in the US for three and half years with my american husband. My mother has always been scared to fly and I was the one always going to visit her. Last month, she decided she wants to come and applied for her tourist visa which was DENIED today!

I think it is so disrespectful that they would deny her visa since I live here. So it means my family is not allowed to visit me?

She took proof of her job and the she told the consul she has family there and that she just wanted to come for a visit. I sent a letter to the consul explaining that she was coming for a short visit but she still got denied.

I know since it's a tourist visa there is nothing I can do. I applied for Citizenship and I am in the process right now.

Do you think once I become a citizen her chances of getting a visa would be higher? She doesn't want to live here, just visit.

I am so frustrated right now! Sorry for venting. Just want to know my options of bringing my loved mom to visit me.

Thanks!

Yep, I completely understand your frustrations. My sister tried to come visit me last year and was denied a visitor's visa because she didn't have enough ties to the Bahamas. She's 22 , works two part time jobs, has three siblings, a mother and a boyfriend of 5 years there but they didn't think that was enough. She was heartbroken. Now, almost a year later she is planning to try to come to the US again, not to visit me but to see our brother, her TWIN, graduate college. This is an emotional time for our family since he is the only boy and we lost my dad a few years back, it's a very big day and we want everyone to be there, especially his twin sister.

Instead of applying for another tourist visa like last time, she's considering just trying her luck at the border and hoping for the best (Bahamians are allowed to travel without any type of visa, just a valid passport and clean police record). I am so nervous because the ticket is not cheap and I fear it will be wasted if she is not allowed to travel, not to mention of course her missing out on this special day. But, like everyone says, it all depends on the CBP officer and if they feel like being nice that day or not and it's been my experience that they are rarely nice. Good luck to your mom, have her try again with more proof of ties.

I'm the Beneficiarydancin5hr.gif

Sept 7th, 2013 = K1 Visa Application Submitted

Sept 18th, 2013 = NOA 1 via e-mail - Case Accepted and Routed to Texas Service Center

Sept 27th 2013= Received NOA1 hard copy

Oct 5th-12th 2013 = Had an AMAZING week together and now back to waiting...ClockWatch2.gif

February 12th 2014 = Five month mark passed. Service request ordered. They said in 27days we should have an answer.

March 15th 2014 = ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER CHANGED! FINALLY! dancin5hr.gif

May 31st-June 11th 2014 -Spent a Beautiful week and a half together and got a huge surprise on the day before she left. :D

June 10th 2014 = PETITION APPROVED!!! Hallelujah! :dance:

August 8th 2014 = Medical. Results: Passed

September 23rd 2014= INTERVIEW: APPROVED! so happy!!!!!!!

September 25-28th 2014 = System Error prevents VISA from being issued. :cry:

September 29th 2014= VISA in hand :dancing:

September30th 2014= Entered the USA :thumbs:
December 22nd 2014=MARRIED :)

March 18th 2015 = Filed AOS

April 3rd 2015 = Received NOA1 hard copies

June 20th 2015 = Received EAD/AP card in mail :)

July 28th 2015 = Received Notice of Potential Interview waiver :mellow:

Feb 29th 2016= FINALLY! RECEIVED MY GREENCARD! :dancing:

January 26th, 2018: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions 

Feb 2nd 2018: Received NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I'm gonna give my opinion of my experience. I have been here in the states for almost 3 years similar like you (at the moment in the middle of ROC, I'm married to an USC). I'm only child and my mom stills lives in Argentina. She is retired and over 70. Last year we did the process for a tourist visa in Argentina and I even went there to give her support with the papers, etc.

Let me tell you I was 98% sure that she would be denied for many reasons. She did not have great finances ties or other children there (she does have other relatives there though). She got approved after 30 minutes waiting inside the embassy. I was surprised as I really thought we did not stand any chance and that me being her only child would play against her. My mom said the interviewer lady was very polite and made her feel comfortable.

I believe that my mom's age played an important factor here. But also that they checked she has lived in the same place for the last 14 years and that she (and we) never tried for her to get a visa since I moved to the US. She was asked many questions about her background and why she would like to go to US. She said to visit her daughter that lives there (me) and would like to visit for the holidays or for when we can not go to Argentina.They gave her the visa for 10 years.

They never requested to see any of the documents my mom brought, which leads me to the suspicion that they do make the decision prior the interview actually. They only request to see evidence when they have doubt. They know when you lie or not. They even asked my mom if she had airline ticket already, my mom said NO because she did not know if she would be approved. The interviewer responded "Very good".

A few years ago a friend of mine planned a trip to Disney with her 7 years old daughter (her husband would not travel with them) she brought to the interview tickets reservation, hotels, papers of their properties, car etc. The interviewer requested to see all this papers. And for some reason she was given a visa ONLY for 1 year. And this girl (married to a guy that has a very high paid job) has MORE finances ties than my mom, and has no family in US. To me, what played against her was that she DID buy airline tickets BEFORE knowing if her visa would be approved. The embassy clearly states that people should not make travel arrangements until visa is in hand.

This 2 stories show that sometimes its not about how much money or properties you have. They are looking for some sort of stability or that the applicant does not show too much interest in visiting that place. My mom is not rich or anything but she has her life already set up in Argentina. In my opinion they saw that my mom, a retired person in her 70s with one daughter LPR in the United States who is a potential citizenship's applicant in the future, is not gonna be jumping illegally anywhere... When her migration could be done easily when I become citizen and petition her (in the case my mom wanted to come to live here in the future).

You mentioned your mom has a job in Brazil, so that means your mom is still in a working age. An ex acquaintance of mine, wanted her mom to visit her in Boston and her mom's visa got denied the first time. She had to use a congressman of her district. Her mom got approved in the second try after a couple months. Her mom was still very "young" (in her early 50's) so probably that was used against her in this case and the fact that her mom emigrated from Paraguay to Argentina decades ago and now had a daughter in US (naturalized citizen), they probably thought she would be emigrate to US and work there illegally.

I guess each embassy is different and each case is seen under different lights. Give it a try in couple of months. Maybe you can use a congressman and explain that embassy that your mom has no intentions of staying in US illegally. That you are gonna be USC soon and you would not risk your mom safety to make her stay illegally when you can totally petition her in the future (if your mom wanted to move here of course.

I wish you good luck for the next time. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm the only one child and my mom's visa got rejected 3 times, I really miss my mom and dad.. We were being honest but I guess that doesn't really matter

I am so sorry about that :( It is very unfair

visit my blog! :)http://brazilianspouse.blogspot.com/

Married: 07/27/2010

I 130 Sent: 10/22/2010

NOA1: 10/27/2010

NOA2: 03/11/2011

NVC Received: 03/28/2011

Emailed DS-3032: 03/30/2011

Paid online AOS fee: 03/31/2011

Paid online IV fee: 04/01/2011

Mailed I-864 package: 04/15/2011

Mailed IV package: 04/15/2011

SIF: 05/11/2011

Case Completed: 05/12/2011

Interview date assigned: 05/16/2011

Medical: 05/27/2011

Interview: 06/29/2011

POE at Lax: 08/10/2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have heard of many ways ppl get in the US illegally and some cost 20k + they would have to set the bond really high making it unpracticable

To make it to Dallas Texas it costing $3K. 2K for the coyote and then zeta puts another 1K on top of that.

Timeline

To make it to Dallas Texas it costing $3K. 2K for the coyote and then zeta puts another 1K on top of that.

From what country? México right? I wasnt talking about crossing the border through the desert tho

-AOS delivered 03/09/15

-NOA email/text 03/13/15

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

How long should I wait till I try again? I was thinking about waiting till I become a citizen. Thanks everyone for your help. It sure does make me feel a little better having all this support from you all.

Oi Carol, my brother was denied a tourist visa couple of years ago, he wanted to come visit and see where I live, he said his interview was not even a minute long, the officer just told him no you can't go, of course my brother was pissed, he has no desire to live here, has a good job and just wanted to see me, I told him to not stress about it and to try again later, he waited about 6 months and tried again and on the 2nd time they granted him a visa! It is a broken system and makes you wonder what guidelines they are following. So have your mom try again in about 6 months.

I'm close to become a citizen and was wondering if you would be easier for my parents to get a visa (they have no desire to live here), my brother and I are trying to convince them to come visit since they have never been outside of Brasil.

Well hope your mom can get a visa next time she applies for one! Um abraco!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is about how much the Libyans charge for a trip to Italy. Seemingly the more you pay the higher up the boat you get.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm close to become a citizen and was wondering if you would be easier for my parents to get a visa (they have no desire to live here), my brother and I are trying to convince them to come visit since they have never been outside of Brasil.

If anything, your citizenship may only make it a bit more difficult for them to get a tourist visa.

The tourist visa decision is based on if the interviewing officer believes the applicant will return home. Having a US citizen child (and therefore a pathway yo a greencard) can be seen as a tie to the US rather than a tie to their home country.

That is about how much the Libyans charge for a trip to Italy. Seemingly the more you pay the higher up the boat you get.

Ouch! Too soon?...

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline

If anything, your citizenship may only make it a bit more difficult for them to get a tourist visa.

The tourist visa decision is based on if the interviewing officer believes the applicant will return home. Having a US citizen child (and therefore a pathway yo a greencard) can be seen as a tie to the US rather than a tie to their home country.

Ouch! Too soon?...

I hear ya and I thought about that too, but that also would be a little silly as I could just petition for them to live here, and they have no desire to live here, my mom is 71 and my dad 67, they live by the beach (I live in KCMO) and all our family are there. Them getting denied visa would just be stupid.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are asking to be adjudicated as tourists, so any potential immigrant option is irrelevant. Well maybe the ability to adjust could be a negative.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.