clairegie

So I tried to drive....

27 posts in this topic

Last weekend, my husband let me get behind the wheel to park our car. I have never seen him so scared for his life. I honestly don't think I did bad haha. I wasn't even scared. A little problem was that I'm short so its hard to reach the pedals lol. How long did it take for you guys to learn to drive?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If your husband is a nervous teacher, I would advise going to driving lessons with a professional. My mother was a nervous teacher and taught me all kinds of bad habits because of it and then I went to driving lessons and I am a MUCH safer driver for it.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I took my husband out everyday for 2 weeks and he was able to get his license. I rode with him another 2 weeks while he drove to and from work then the started driving by himself. He has been in the USA 1 year now and he just became a truck driver.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Last weekend, my husband let me get behind the wheel to park our car. I have never seen him so scared for his life. I honestly don't think I did bad haha. I wasn't even scared. A little problem was that I'm short so its hard to reach the pedals lol. How long did it take for you guys to learn to drive?

My wife has been in the US for more than 2 years and she is still learning.

Yes, her biggest problem is because she is soooo short also....... only 4 feet 7 inches.

She has a lot of trouble reaching the pedals and also seeing clearly out the windows, especially the back window.

We have been searching for pedal extenders for her car, but nothing yet.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I hate driving, and it took me about a month.

In Arkansas, you need to go do a theory test and then wait at least 30 days before you take the practical, so during that time, my husband would take me to an abandoned parking lot and I would drive there; it helped me feel ok about accelerating and practising to park etc. I passed with flying colours!

Of course, it probably also helped that when I went for the practical test, the teenager before me crashed his mom's car during the test with the state trooper in the passenger seat (not totalled, but a visible dent, he took a bend too quickly and drive into a mailbox). So when the trooper and I went out to my car, he said: "I make you a deal- you don;t kill us both, and I pass you!"

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

If your husband is a nervous teacher, I would advise going to driving lessons with a professional. My mother was a nervous teacher and taught me all kinds of bad habits because of it and then I went to driving lessons and I am a MUCH safer driver for it.

Not really a nervous teacher. He was just really worried that I would drive the car through our house haha

I took my husband out everyday for 2 weeks and he was able to get his license. I rode with him another 2 weeks while he drove to and from work then the started driving by himself. He has been in the USA 1 year now and he just became a truck driver.

Unfortunately my hubby is too busy with work to teach me everyday. Hopefully I can learn as fast as your husband :D Here's hoping!

My wife has been in the US for more than 2 years and she is still learning.

Yes, her biggest problem is because she is soooo short also....... only 4 feet 7 inches.

She has a lot of trouble reaching the pedals and also seeing clearly out the windows, especially the back window.

We have been searching for pedal extenders for her car, but nothing yet.

I think I'm gonna need that too. When you find them, let me know. My husband laughed his ### off when I had to adjust the seat multiple times just to barely reach the pedals. Mean tall people :S

If you managed to park the car (without hitting anything) in less than 5 attempts, then you are better than 90% of them I see here daily on Negros Oriental. :)

Yay thank you! I did it on my first try. I feel badass now haha

I hate driving, and it took me about a month.

In Arkansas, you need to go do a theory test and then wait at least 30 days before you take the practical, so during that time, my husband would take me to an abandoned parking lot and I would drive there; it helped me feel ok about accelerating and practising to park etc. I passed with flying colours!

Of course, it probably also helped that when I went for the practical test, the teenager before me crashed his mom's car during the test with the state trooper in the passenger seat (not totalled, but a visible dent, he took a bend too quickly and drive into a mailbox). So when the trooper and I went out to my car, he said: "I make you a deal- you don;t kill us both, and I pass you!"

My husband said he would take me to an abandoned area inside their base where he practiced driving with his buddies. Hopefully I learn as quick as you did. I'm studying for the sign test too and I try to be more observant when we are on the road and test myself if I got the signs right. So many to learn x.x

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Yup...we all forget we were a tadpole when we become a frog. :lol:

My mom is 4' 8" and got her license in her late 40's...and she did fine...after some hiccups.

You'll do fine.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

lol! were the same boat. but my husband don't want me to drive his car so he didn't teach me how to drive so far. I only drive in driving lesson all the time and it works really great, they are a really good teachers!! sometime my mother-in-law teach me but I like going to driving school you will learn faster!!

Timeline

Last weekend, my husband let me get behind the wheel to park our car. I have never seen him so scared for his life. I honestly don't think I did bad haha. I wasn't even scared.

It is often difficult for couples to set aside their roles as a couple and step into a completely different role as teacher and student.

Laughing at a student is a gross violation of teacher conduct. The typical problem with a Filipina student and Americano husband teacher though is that the Filipina takes instructions as optional, and gets offended from pride when mistakes are corrected. They won't get angry at an instructor, but they will get angry at a husband. They take orders from an instructor without questioning, but not from a husband.

A lack of fear almost killed us when my wife very happily ignored me progressively saying stop... STOP!... STOP!! as she stormed through a stop sign and almost into a cement truck doing 65. I pulled the steering wheel and put us into the ditch in order to avoid what would have been certain death. I started using another car that had an emergency brake between the seats, and I had to pull the emergency brake to stop her from slamming head-on into our neighbor.

Same with "slow down". She simply refused to do it. Then there was the Filipina habit of saying "yes" as a pretense of being agreeable when she had no idea what I was saying or just not listening.

Some couples avoid this stress by hiring a driving instructor. What we adopted before each lesson was a demonstration that she was committed to being a student instead of a prideful wife. After her agreeing to set the attitude aside, I would give her an instruction going down our driveway like "stop" or "slow down", with no apparent reason for it. If she didn't, the lesson was over for the day.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It took me several months to learn. My husband was my instructor too. It was the most stressful event in our lives. I have been driving for over two years now and I am still scared to drive in big cities.

Good luck and be safe! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Mostly, for the two of you to feel more comfortable in this spouse-assisted-training,

you got to do it more.

Suggest each day after work, 20 to 30 minutes, before cooking the supper.

Do it, daily, for 6 weeks, then report back, when able.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

(clearing my throat)...ahem..this is an interesting topic from so many different angles..the documentation in NYS for one. They gave my husband a temporary ID only for the validity of the K1 stamp in the passport. Then when he got the EAD, they updated the learners permit for one year...it allowed him to start driving.

You are right about different styles...he tends to get some bad habits then keeps on doing them...I have to sign him up for driving lessons or we will have a problem!! In NYS yo have to get a classroom instruction for 5 hours with a certificate + learners permit written test. The actual driving test has to have a valid learners permit...

.....nothing in the US is simple.....

Timeline

First of all, I would tell her to forget everything she ever aw filipino drivers do, they are crazy.,.,hahahahahaha, ., IF I needed a Nascar Driver, I would go to the PHILS., and recruit a taxi driver!

The husband must really set his mind that this "is his wife" he is teaching to drive, and use the same love and tenderness, he endows upon her.

Be firm, do not raise your voice, always talk in a calm manner, no matter how bad the mistake.

Teach her to drive, obey all traffic laws, and 2 lane roads only at first. Then take her to town, and teach her how to drive in what lane, and for what reason. Then stop, and talk about what you have shown her. Just do this about 3 days, or evenings a week, and in a few weeks she will be good.

Last thing, is parallel parking, set up a parking place in your drive way, or close by, and practice, practice, practice, until she has it right!

Hey guys, you can do this! It is all about "your" frame of mind. If you have little patience, do not try this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.