sp1

AOS interview yesterday -same sex

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am sorry, I have only posted a couple of times, but I will fill out my timeline soon (hopefully today)

Anyway, we had our interview yesterday.

First let me say, we had no fraud factors. We are similar in age, my spouse had never been in the US before she began to visit me, she had never overstayed any visas,etc.

We had an early morning appointment (750am). We arrived at 0730, went through security, and sat down in a room full of empty chairs.

Promptly at 0800 we were called to the back. We went into an office with our interviewer. I had a giant stack of documents.

Our interviewer was pretty stern, but at the same time not rude.

We were sworn in.

The interviewer began to ask questions of my russian spouse, but was quickly underwhelmed by my spouse's english, and asked if we needed a translator. I said "she doesn't need one, and anyway we don't have one". Because my spouse is fine with english. But maybe the cadence of the interviewer wasn't good for her. Anyway, quickly the interviewer became frustrated again, and picked up the phone to order a translator.

They kept the interviewer on the phone too long so the interview resumed.

After that it went pretty smoothly. The packet questions were asked, (have you ever been arrested? been a prostitute? etc.) They were asked in the sequence from the aos packet. Then each one was checked off in red pen "no".

The interviewer asked a few questions of my spouse. Why were you married before? Why did that marriage fail?

Then she asked me how we met. She asked me to pronounce the airport in Moscow where i flew...

I found the questions to be "tricky", but only if you are not telling the truth. Had i not been to moscow, which has 4 major airports, I could have chosen the wrong one, nevermind how to pronounce it.

Then we were asked about what evidence we had. I showed our bank account, cell phone family plan with records and bills, our medical insurance on my employers plan and a pet adoption record with our joint names.

I began to show photos, but The interviewer quickly said "i have already seen those! dont show me the ones you already sent!" so, I started showing some new ones, which were taken and kept, to be placed with our file.

Finally, the interviewer said "okay--I am approving your case." and then she stamped our file, with a big stamp.

I was relieved and excited of course, but i was weary that i had heard wrong :) So the interviewer repeated ..."you are approved, you are now a lawful permanent resident"

YES!

The process was about 35 minutes or so.

As for my thoughts,

I front loaded a lot of evidence, and i feel it did help. I saw many people say it doesn't, but the fact that our interviewer said "don't show me those photos that you already sent" indicates that our file was already viewed and sort of an opinion is formed at bit beforehand. Also, the file that was on the desk was about 4-5 inches thick!!

Good luck everyone!

Congrats!

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am sorry, I have only posted a couple of times, but I will fill out my timeline soon (hopefully today)

First let me say, we had no fraud factors. We are similar in age, my spouse had never been in the US before she began to visit me, she had never overstayed any visas,etc.

We had an early morning appointment (750am). We arrived at 0730, went through security, and sat down in a room full of empty chairs.

Promptly at 0800 we were called to the back. We went into an office with our interviewer. I had a giant stack of documents.

We were sworn in.

The interviewer began to ask questions of my russian spouse, but was quickly underwhelmed by my spouse's english, and asked if we needed a translator. I said "she doesn't need one, and anyway we don't have one". Because my spouse is fine with english. But maybe the cadence of the interviewer wasn't good for her. Anyway, quickly the interviewer became frustrated again, and picked up the phone to order a translator.

After that it went pretty smoothly. The packet questions were asked, (have you ever been arrested? been a prostitute? etc.) They were asked in the sequence from the aos packet. Then each one was checked off in red pen "no".

The interviewer asked a few questions of my spouse. Why were you married before? Why did that marriage fail?

Then she asked me how we met. She asked me to pronounce the airport in Moscow where i flew...

I found the questions to be "tricky", but only if you are not telling the truth. Had i not been to moscow, which has 4 major airports, I could have chosen the wrong one, nevermind how to pronounce it.

Then we were asked about what evidence we had. I showed our bank account, cell phone family plan with records and bills, our medical insurance on my employers plan and a pet adoption record with our joint names.

I began to show photos, but The interviewer quickly said "i have already seen those! dont show me the ones you already sent!" so, I started showing some new ones, which were taken and kept, to be placed with our file.

Finally, the interviewer said "okay--I am approving your case." and then she stamped our file, with a big stamp.

I was relieved and excited of course, but i was weary that i had heard wrong :) So the interviewer repeated ..."you are approved, you are now a lawful permanent resident"

YES!

As for my thoughts,

I front loaded a lot of evidence, and i feel it did help. I saw many people say it doesn't, but the fact that our interviewer said "don't show me those photos that you already sent" indicates that our file was already viewed and sort of an opinion is formed at bit beforehand. Also, the file that was on the desk was about 4-5 inches thick!!

Good luck everyone!

Congrats. I am curious. Is this an AOS following a K1 Visa/Wedding Interview? You mention you front loaded the application. For the AOS I-485 they dont ask for photos etc. Just the Wedding Certificate. Can you elaborate? We are a same sex couple too

David

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations on being approved! It's interesting, most people on VJ say not to submit photos for initial AOS but I am glad you said that it's fine. I always thought photos are helpful. :)

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are same sex couple too. We had our AOS interview on the 10th of this month. Our interviewer was very nice, my wife is not that fluent in English as well but the questions requires simple answers, such as what is our address, my wife's father and mother names, my birth date. My interviewer was a very nice lady, we have this impression that she was very friendly and patience. So that right away, put relieve to our interview. She then asked me a few questions about how we met, the trip I took to see her, how often I go, where was my wedding, what is my wedding date etc.

She then told me that she did not see any issues with our application and that it is approved. However, she didn't stamp her passport saying that they don't do that often anymore. Only with emergency case with travel plans will they do that. We are in a hurry to travel, so it doesn't really matter that her passport is not stamped. It would have been nice to have some proof :). But currently our green card is ordered for production, so I think we will get our green card soon.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Congrats. I am curious. Is this an AOS following a K1 Visa/Wedding Interview? You mention you front loaded the application. For the AOS I-485 they dont ask for photos etc. Just the Wedding Certificate. Can you elaborate? We are a same sex couple too

David

Sorry for the confusion....I front loaded the initial K1 visa package. And at least in my case, the interviewer had thoroughly reviewed everything prior to the interview.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Progress Forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good to hear... :dancing:

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

We were sworn in.

YES!

As for my thoughts,

Good luck everyone!

We are same sex couple too. We had our AOS interview on the 10th of this month. Our interviewer was very nice, my wife is not that fluent in English as well but the questions requires simple answers, such as what is our address, my wife's father and mother names, my birth date. My interviewer was a very nice lady, we have this impression that she was very friendly and patience. So that right away, put relieve to our interview. She then asked me a few questions about how we met, the trip I took to see her, how often I go, where was my wedding, what is my wedding date etc.

She then told me that she did not see any issues with our application and that it is approved. However, she didn't stamp her passport saying that they don't do that often anymore. Only with emergency case with travel plans will they do that. We are in a hurry to travel, so it doesn't really matter that her passport is not stamped. It would have been nice to have some proof :). But currently our green card is ordered for production, so I think we will get our green card soon.

Congratulations, guys!!! Enjoy your GC!!! Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with us!

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

Congrats

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sorry for the confusion....I front loaded the initial K1 visa package. And at least in my case, the interviewer had thoroughly reviewed everything prior to the interview.

I'm confused. So, for AOS and Green Card interview we have to bring a bunch of evidence? UGH, what a pain. I need to start adding my husband to some things like utility bills or credit cards. So far only joint bank account.

I'm confused. So, for AOS and Green Card interview we have to bring a bunch of evidence? UGH, what a pain. I need to start adding my husband to some things like utility bills or credit cards. So far only joint bank account.

We were sworn in.

YES!

As for my thoughts,

Good luck everyone!

Congrats guys!!! :D We are yet to have our interview

10.16.14 : I-485 AOS & I-765 EAD mailed

10.20.14 : Packet received

11.06.14 : NOA email and text msg for AOS & EAD

11.10.14 : NOA hard copy

11.17.14 : Biometrics letter received

11.24.14 : Biometrics appointment

11.26.14 : RFE email for AOS

12.01.14 : RFE hard copy

12.02.14 : RFE sent

12.30.14 : EAD in production

01.07.15 : EAD mailed

01.08.15 : EAD received!!

David

In my AOS interview, the immigration officer asked me if my US citizen spouse has met my family so I said yes. He then asked for a picture proof of that so thank goodness I had a picture as proof. I brought many more pictures and the officer seemed to be interested in pictures that showed us together with other family members.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.