dwheels76

March 2015 Interviews

934 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Please can you advise me about tax 2014

Im the petitioner , i and my wife waiting here interview here in jordan . I cant leave here and our baby, i think here interview gonna be in april.

As u know i have to do my tax before april 15 .

I want to do it from here ( my brother do it for me)

My question is : can i do my tax as MFS (married filling separatly) or as single ?

Or filling as married and got ITIN # , but i heard this is long way and take long time to give me this number from IRS ?

I dont know what to do please i need your advise

Thank you

Edited by anya2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Please can you advise me about tax 2014

Im the petitioner , i and my wife waiting here interview here in jordan . I cant leave here and our baby, i think here interview gonna be in april.

As u know i have to do my tax before april 15 .

I want to do it from here ( my brother do it for me)

My question is : can i do my tax as MFS (married filling separatly) or as single ?

Or filling as married and got ITIN # , but i heard this is long way and take long time to give me this number from IRS ?

I dont know what to do please i need your advise

Thank you

If you are married, you may file as "Married, Filing Jointly", or "Married, Filing Separately", or "Head of Household" (if you qualify). You may not file "Single". If your wife does not have an ITIN or a SSN, then choose "Married, Filing Separately".

In addition, you may be able to file an extension for this year (which gives you until October 2015 to file), and then wait until your wife gets her SSN. This would allow you to (eventually) file "Married, Filing Jointly". For MOST couples, filing jointly gives you more favorable (pay less tax) tax breaks.

So you have several alternatives....

Sukie in NY

Edited by Sukie
Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

If you are married, you may file as "Married, Filing Jointly", or "Married, Filing Separately", or "Head of Household" (if you qualify). You may not file "Single". If your wife does not have an ITIN or a SSN, then choose "Married, Filing Separately".

In addition, you may be able to file an extension for this year (which gives you until October 2015 to file), and then wait until your wife gets her SSN. This would allow you to (eventually) file "Married, Filing Jointly". For MOST couples, filing jointly gives you more favorable (pay less tax) tax breaks.

So you have several alternatives....

Sukie in NY

Thank you so much for the good answer ?

I have another question please

I married in sep 2013 , in january 2014 i file my tax as a single ?

Is that ok ? Do u think if this gona be an issue when my wife take the aos and tax paper (for the last 3 years) with here at the interview ?

Edited by anya2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you so much for the good answer ?

I have another question please

I married in sep 2013 , in january 2014 i file my tax as a single ?

Is that ok ? Do u think if this gona be an issue when my wife take the aos and tax paper (for the last 3 years) with here at the interview ?

Your marital status is determined as of the last day of the tax year. Therefore, if you married in 2013, you should have filed your 2013 as "Married" - either Jointly or Separately.

In all of time my time on Visa Journey, I have never seen anyone rejected because they filed their marital status incorrectly - but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't pay attention to it. If anyone else has a concrete case, please point it out.

Most people here will recommend that you "amend" your 2013 taxes to file as Married - probably "Separately". During the interview, if it comes up, then you can honestly say you made a common mistake, and that you have rectified it by filing an amendment. Your wife can take the amendment paper with her at the interview.

Best of luck. It's a very confusing thing, especially when our partners do not have SSNs or ITINs. And accountants often give the incorrect answer!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Your marital status is determined as of the last day of the tax year. Therefore, if you married in 2013, you should have filed your 2013 as "Married" - either Jointly or Separately.

In all of time my time on Visa Journey, I have never seen anyone rejected because they filed their marital status incorrectly - but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't pay attention to it. If anyone else has a concrete case, please point it out.

Most people here will recommend that you "amend" your 2013 taxes to file as Married - probably "Separately". During the interview, if it comes up, then you can honestly say you made a common mistake, and that you have rectified it by filing an amendment. Your wife can take the amendment paper with her at the interview.

Best of luck. It's a very confusing thing, especially when our partners do not have SSNs or ITINs. And accountants often give the incorrect answer!

Sukie in NY

You right sukie accountant all time give me incorrect answer :(

Thank you for your help

God bless you ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My interview has been scheduled on march 18th. I was in United States on my student visa and after my work permit expired I came back to my home country without overstaying a day. At that time I was in relationship with my wife , but we were not married. She then came here and we got married. Now , I have interview at Bombay. I am just concerned about if the officer will ask me more questions about my student visa and me coming back scenario rather than asking question about me and my wife and our relationship. Has anyone come across any case like mine or know someone? Someone please tell me if this can happen or not, this is spouse visa and interview is related that but we never know how the officer is. I am just worried if they will ask me more questions about my student visa and expired work permit/sevis completed. ,

Thank you so much

Filed: M-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Hello everyone, I got a cc on Feb 6, 2015. Interview scheduled for March 18, 2016 almost and the finish line. Dwheels can u plz tell me how long does the medical take to be completed? Thanks ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So I am going over the P4 email and one of the documents listed under document name is "ELIGIBILITY DOCUMENT" It has the code "J"

J = The NVC only received a photocopy of the document. You must present the original document at

the time of your interview.

What is this eligiblity document?? I dont know what this would be :S

Thanks!

I am summizing that this means you need to take along ALL the original documents which you sent "copies" of...like Marriage Certificate, etc.

I don't see "J" on the code definitions provided in the information Dwheels gave. Maybe someone else can shed light on this (since I am still awaiting my P4).

event.png

April 2, 2014: I-130 Filed with Chicago Lockbox

April 7, 2014: Packaged received by USCIS

April 8, 2014: Received NOA 1

Sept. 17, 2014: Received NOA 2. Case APPROVED with no RFEs

Oct. 17, 2014: Case # Assigned by NVC (Same day case was received, according to Julian # calculation)

Oct. 21, 2014: Received letter from NVC

Oct. 22, 2014: DS-261 completed and submitted to NVC

Oct. 31, 2014: Paid AOS invoice

Dec 08, 2014: Sent in IV & AoS packages

Dec 11, 2014: Package received by NVC

Dec 12, 2014: Received email from NVC acknowledging receipt. I assume this is our scan date

Dec 25, 2014: Paid IV bill

Dec 29, 2014: Funds deducted from bank account. DS-260 became available, and was completed

Dec 30, 2014: Submitted DS-260

Feb. 12, 2015: Case Complete with NO checklist! whoot, whoot!

Mar. 25, 2015: Received P4. Interview

April 29,2015: Completed medical examination

May 13, 2015: Interview Date APPROVED :dancing:

May 19, 2015: Received Package

Oct. 22, 2015: Travelled to my new home :) (In order to get IR-1 Green Card) Expiration date on IR-1/CR-1 Visa - Oct. 29, 2015

Nov 10, 2015: Received Social Security Card

Jan 4, 2016: LPR Green Card arrived.

Hello everyone!

My wife has interview during first week of march in Mumbai India, I am trying to schedule biometrics appointment on Ustraveldocs.com site, it's very confusing, I created a new profile, and then selected "Schedule Appointment", now while going through the steps I felt that its trying to make an interview appointment not the biometrics. Can someone please walk me through the steps? I would really appreciate your help.

Also, she has an medical appointment next week, do I have to until she completes the medical, I feel that is very short time is left between interview and biometrics/medical.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I just had to say something because IDK what else to do... Now that I'm waiting for an interview date.. the days seem longer than when I was waiting for the NVC CC... I just want to have my wife here with me... :clock:

Started Dating (Long Distance): 08/06/2008

Married in Lima, Peru: 09/07/2013

I-130 Sent: 03/07/2014

I-130 NOA1: 03/14/2014

I-130 Approved: 08/15/2014

NVC Received: 08/22/2014

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 09/22/2014

Submitted DS-261: 09/22/2014

Paid AOS Bill: 09/22/2014

AOS Bill Posted: 09/24/2014

Received IV Bill: 10/04/2014

Paid IV Bill: 10/04/2014

IV Bill Posted: 10/07/2014

Sent AOS Package: 10/09/2014

Sent IV Package: 10/09/2014

NVC Received: 10/10/2014

Received 2nd Checklist (Missed P/C - Peruvian Judicial): 12/11/2014

Sent 2nd Checklist with Missing Document: 12/11/2014

NVC Received: 12/12/2014

Case Completed at NVC: 2/6/2015

Received Instructions and Interview appointment letter: 3/2/2015

NVC Left: 3/10/2015

Consulate Received: 3/13/2015

Medical Exam: 4/20/2015

Medical Results: 4/29/2015

Interview Date: 4/30/2015

Interview Result: APPROVED

Visa Received: 5/7/2015

US Entry: 5/16/2015

Received our P4 last Friday. Interview scheduled for March 16th. Our CC date was on January 14th.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for their P4!!

Edited by tuskls

Our CEAC Status changed to READY at the US Amsterdam Consulate finally ! I would jump up and down but I am a sickie today...crawling back to bed now ....ugggh.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline

Medical done succesfully at Nairobi IOM , waiting for Interview on March 2nd

NOte: IOM( this is where medical is done) has moved from Ngong Avenue to Gigiri near US embassy

Prayers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.