spookyturtle

The Official CE&HST Super Bowl Thread

381 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Pete, Paul Boudreau and Carl Smith used to go to a local bar/restaurant that I also went too. They were cool guys. Lots of Patriots players went there years back. I got to be good friends with Tim Goad our nose tackle. We used to go bass fishing together. Steve Nelson, Fred Smerlas and a bunch of guys used to pop in from time to time.

Smerlas .. that's a name that pops out. I'm hoping Carroll sticks around long enough for a fourpeat.

Filed: Timeline

You talked to Pete Carroll? I would give my left nut to sit down and chat with that guy. He's nothing short of a football genius .. at least on the defensive side of the ball.

I screwed up royally. I took the Hawks for a C-note right after the AFC game when the line was -2.5 for the Hawks. If I had waited until the next day I could have swung that 5 points. :crying:

The line usually doesn't settle out until Monday morning. The big money gamblers come in first and bid the line Sunday night. That gets posted in the morning papers.

Edited by I AM NOT THAT GUY

Smerlas .. that's a name that pops out. I'm hoping Carroll sticks around long enough for a fourpeat.

Isn't Carl Smith with Seattle now? He was the tight ends coach when he was here and Boudreau was the offensive line coach. Fred Smerlas used to play for the Bills, then he was on local radio and tv. John Hannah used to hang at this place too.

And Raymond Berry went to the coffee shop I used to go to. These were low key places that the guys liked because people didn't bother them.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Isn't Carl Smith with Seattle now? He was the tight ends coach when he was here and Boudreau was the offensive line coach. Fred Smerlas used to play for the Bills, then he was on local radio and tv. John Hannah used to hang at this place too.

And Raymond Berry went to the coffee shop I used to go to. These were low key places that the guys liked because people didn't bother them.

Smith is the QB coach at Seattle. Man spooks those are some heavy hitters you mixed with.

Smith is the QB coach at Seattle. Man spooks those are some heavy hitters you mixed with.

It was a lot of fun. Goad used to give me and my buddy tickets and a parking pass to the home games. We parkedin the lot for the players and their families. Tim was a good guy. He was on Kyle Petty's pit crew for a while after he retired from the NFL, then he did conditioning for Kevin Harvick's pit crew. He was a big NASCAR fan.

The bar used to have NTN trivia and Carl and Boudreau used to play as me and a few buddies did. When this place first opened, Russ Francis was part owner, he was a tight end for the Pats back in the early 80's. Lots of Patriots players went there back then.

You have to remember, Carroll came here right after Parcells, so he was really a low key personality at that time. He did a lot of stuff for the local high school sports teams and didn't want the publicity, he just wanted to help out. Ditto for Drew Bledsoe when he was here.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I was looking forward to a good game with Seattle, but this bs sours things. The Patriots don't need to do these stupid things to win. There is a lot of talent on the team and they are well coached and disciplined. DeflateGate is either going to be a distraction or a big motivator.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

You've got me thinking about so many people I met in the past. Mosi Tatupu used to go to that bar too. His son Lofa married a local painters daughter. Tim was buddies with Mosi and there was also Todd Collins, a linebacker nicknamed Swampfox. I still have a Patriots jacket that a few of those signed for me. To be twenty years younger again......

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

You've got me thinking about so many people I met in the past. Mosi Tatupu used to go to that bar too. His son Lofa married a local painters daughter. Tim was buddies with Mosi and there was also Todd Collins, a linebacker nicknamed Swampfox. I still have a Patriots jacket that a few of those signed for me. To be twenty years younger again......

I remember watching Collins play and Tatupu is a household name as well.

B7_FWUGIIAE8o-4.jpg

I remember watching Collins play and Tatupu is a household name as well.

B7_FWUGIIAE8o-4.jpg

Mosi coached a local high school team. Collins and Goad were southern guys. Goad had this moonshine in mason jars that his grandfather made. I think gasoline tasted better.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

No one else got busted for filming. All teams did it prior to 2007. The league sent out a memo at the beginning of the 2007 season that it was not permitted. The Patriots ignored the directive and were caught in the first game of the season against the Jets. They won all 16 regular seasons games and 2 playoff games that year, losing to the GIants in the Super Bowl. They did much better by not cheating.

McDaniels did with the Bronco's. It was a meaningless game against SF in London. It was reason they fired him midseason instead of waiting till after the season.

IIRC, McDaniels said the camera guy did it of his own initiative.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

McDaniels did with the Bronco's. It was a meaningless game against SF in London. It was reason they fired him midseason instead of waiting till after the season.

IIRC, McDaniels said the camera guy did it of his own initiative.

He did it with Denver after the Patriots scandal? It will be interesting to see what comes out with the NFL investigation. I find it odd that they haven't talked to Brady or McDaniels yet. I also wonder how thorough the pregame inspection was. They keep talking about 12 balls yet Brady said he had to chose 24. Did they submit under inflated balls which were passed by the official or did they submit properly inflated balls and then lower the pressure? I hope the NFL can get this done quickly, but knowing them they are loving the controversy as it builds hype for the big game. I will be very disappointed if Brady is lying, but I don't see a logical explanation. Someone will be caught with their hand in the cookie jar and I can't believe that the coach or quarterback know nothing about it. There are a lot of hard working guys on the team who would know nothing about it. A lot of players have come and gone and no one has spoken up about whether this has been done in the past. Something smells rotten.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline

He did it with Denver after the Patriots scandal? It will be interesting to see what comes out with the NFL investigation. I find it odd that they haven't talked to Brady or McDaniels yet. I also wonder how thorough the pregame inspection was. They keep talking about 12 balls yet Brady said he had to chose 24. Did they submit under inflated balls which were passed by the official or did they submit properly inflated balls and then lower the pressure? I hope the NFL can get this done quickly, but knowing them they are loving the controversy as it builds hype for the big game. I will be very disappointed if Brady is lying, but I don't see a logical explanation. Someone will be caught with their hand in the cookie jar and I can't believe that the coach or quarterback know nothing about it. There are a lot of hard working guys on the team who would know nothing about it. A lot of players have come and gone and no one has spoken up about whether this has been done in the past. Something smells rotten.

Aikman says Belichick should have his ballz chopped off and served up for dinner to Seattle.

Aikman on Deflategate: Brady knew and Belichick should burn

Troy Aikman said he believes Tom Brady spearheaded Deflategate and Bill Belichick should pay dearly for it.

The Cowboys great and Fox analyst held nothing back in a Dallas radio interview Thursday when discussing the latest controversy to envelop the Patriots and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

“It’s obvious that Tom Brady had something to do with this,” Aikman told the station, according to the Dallas Morning News.

“I know going back to when I played, they’ve loosened up the rules in terms of what each team is able to do with the footballs coming into the game. Used to, the home team provided all the balls. And now, each team brings their footballs the way they like them and break ‘em in. Used to you couldn’t break them in. So for the balls to be deflated, that doesn’t happen unless the quarterback wants that to happen, I can assure you of that. Now the question becomes did Bill Belichick know about it.”

Belichick denied just that when he spoke to the press after Aikman’s comments were made. Belichick contended he had no clue how the 12 balls were deflated below league standards in the Patriots’ 45-7 rout of the Colts in the AFC Championship Game.

Modal Triggerbrady22.jpg?w=225&h=300

Brady and Belichick during the AFC Championship Game.Photo: Getty Images

However, the rule change Aikman discussed was actually advocated by Brady and Peyton Manning in 2006 when the star quarterbacks successfully lobbied the league. Brady noted at the time, in an interview with the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, how each quarterback likes the football “a little bit different.”

Aikman sees the controversy as another black eye not only for the Patriots, but for Goodell. Aikman said Goodell’s “ignorance is no excuse” policy that he used to bury the Saints during Bountygate in 2012 will come back to hurt him again, just as it did when he bungled Ray Rice’s domestic violence case – where Goodell used his own ignorance as an excuse for originally handing out a two-game punishment to the Ravens running back.

“Sean Payton did not cheat,” Aikman said of the Saints coach who was suspended a full year for Bountygate.

“There was nothing that Sean Payton and the Saints did that was illegal. And they did not give themselves a competitive edge. I maintain, regardless of whatever was said in the locker room, and in that locker room, is not anything different than what’s been said in any other locker room around the league. There’s no proof on the field of what took place that guys were targeting players. You can always pull out a play here and there. They were one of the least penalized teams for unsportsmanlike conduct. So there was no evidence that anything translated to the field that they were trying to hurt players. And they did not give themselves a competitive advantage.

Modal Triggergoodell1.jpg?w=188&h=300

Roger GoodellPhoto: AP

“Now twice, under Bill Belichick and possibly a third time, they’ve cheated and given themselves an advantage. To me, the punishment for the Patriots and/or Bill Belichick has to be more severe than what the punishment was for the New Orleans Saints.”

Where Aikman unfavorably compared the Patriots’ alleged antics to Bountygate, Ravens defensive lineman Chris Canty’s hot take likened ball-tampering to PEDs.

“The Patriots are habitual line-steppers,” Canty said in an appearance on NBCSN on Wednesday. “If the allegations are true, then you are talking about attacking the integrity of our game and I have an issue with that.”

“What I’m going to say about the deflating of the balls, to me there is no difference than performance-enhancing drugs. You are cheating at that point. You are getting a competitive advantage outside of the rulebook and there has to be some sort of consequences for that.”

But will Goodell, a noted ally of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, punish the team severely?

“There’s a great deal of pressure on Roger Goodell, in light of everything that’s happened this year, and the way that he’s handled all of these situations, and hasn’t handled them particularly well by the way, and on this particular case, because there’s a lot of coaches and a lot of people that look upon the Patriots as a team that’s been favored in some of the things that have happened — I thought the punishment he got for Spygate was a slap on the wrist, was next to nothing — so we’ll see,” Aikman said.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/aikman-on-deflategate-brady-knew-and-belichick-should-burn/

Brady's a cheater

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Did the temperature drop a lot that weekend? Pressure does drop in balls when it's cold, just like it does with car tires. If they are inflating them to the minimum level and it cools off, they will end up below regulation just due to temperature change. The Patriots aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt but that's a plausible explanation.

McDaniels taped the 49'ers walk through practice in London in 2009. The Bronco's were on the way to a 4-12 season. Completely pointless endeavor, and almost seemed compulsive which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see his name come up here.

QCjgyJZ.jpg