spookyturtle

The Official CE&HST Super Bowl Thread

381 posts in this topic

Did they a digital gauge, a mechanical gauge? Could make a difference. Digital gauge is direct reading, but the final digit is always subject to a rounding error. A mechanical guage is more subjective and user dependent, yet may off an increased degree of accuracy. Who calibrated all the gauges and to what standard? When was the last time the gauges were calibrated?

Check out the HeadSmart Labs test. They used a digital gauge, so maybe the NFL does too?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

If it is the locker room attendant, then the order comes from higher up. Of course this is just another report from an outside source since the NFL hasn't released anything. May the guy did take the balls to another room to doctor them. Or maybe he went to take a piss or a dump. Maybe even have a good ####### before the game. Or get a drink. Lots of possibilities.

I am looking forward to the official findings. If Belichick knew and lied, he's done. If Brady knew and lied he's done. I don't think Mr. Kraft will keep either of them around any longer. Or they're both telling the truth.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline

Check out the HeadSmart Labs test. They used a digital gauge, so maybe the NFL does too?

That gauge they show can display down to the hundredth of a PSI. Say it only reads down to the nearest 0.05 or twentieth of a psi - that still would rule out any rounding error.

The report you are referring to:

HeadSmart Labs found that on average the footballs dropped 1.1 PSI from the 25 degree temperature
change alone. The Lab also found that when the leather was wet, the ball dropped an additional 0.7
PSI. In combination, it was found that on average the footballs lost 1.8 PSI with a max of 1.95 PSI from
exposure to game day elements.

That gauge they show can display down to the hundredth of a PSI. Say it only reads down to the nearest 0.05 or twentieth of a psi - that still would rule out any rounding error.

The report you are referring to:

Here is video from HeadSmart Labs.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Not according to Headsmart Labs. Read the "Science Behind Deflate-Gate. They said the air pressure could have dropped by up to 1.95 psi from weather and field conditions alone.

http://www.headsmartlabs.com/

Rule of thumb is a 2% change for every 10F. If the footballs started at 12.5 PSI, a 40F drop would account for a change of roughly 1 PSI. At first, it didn't make sense due to weather alone, but if they were storing the balls at room temperature it is more believable.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Rule of thumb is a 2% change for every 10F. If the footballs started at 12.5 PSI, a 40F drop would account for a change of roughly 1 PSI. At first, it didn't make sense due to weather alone, but if they were storing the balls at room temperature it is more believable.

It only took 5 days to get back to what I posted on page 1.

They were properly inflated in a warm area with warm air, and lost pressure when brought outside. Honest mistake, that is the story and they are sticking to it. Amonton's Gas Law.

And according to Belichick, they would be above room temperature due to the preparation process. HeadSmart Labs is a credible outside source. Much more credible than the blowhards at ESPN, SI, etc. Pressure drop is simple science. A couple of Wilson execs came out and said that Belichick is full of bs, their footballs do not leak air. I guess they missed science class that day. Regardless of whether the Patriots cheated or not, temperature has an effect on air pressure.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

A couple of Wilson execs came out and said that Belichick is full of bs, their footballs do not leak air.

Still true. Their footballs didn't leak air. Temperature is a measure of kinetic energy, all those atoms and molecules flying around bouncing off the inside of the football is what we sense as pressure. When the temperature falls, the number of air molecules and atoms remains the same, they are just not traveling as fast. On the same token, as the leather gets wet, and the leather is able to stretch some, the volume would increase, and the particles would have a larger area to run into, less collisions per given area, and the pressure would also drop.

Easy test would be to return the footballs back to the same condition they were in when they were tested before the game, and then read the pressure again, providing the leather returns to the same dimensions it was before the elements and the game play had an effect on the balls. And don't forget to compensate for changes in barometric pressure.

Edited by I AM NOT THAT GUY

Timeline

It only took 5 days to get back to what I posted on page 1.

I think we've been talking about it every day since. I'm not sure why though. It's a plausible explanation. It's not the only one, but it's the story I would stick to until another reason becomes more likely.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Still true. Their footballs didn't leak air. Temperature is a measure of kinetic energy, all those atoms and molecules flying around bouncing off the inside of the football is what we sense as pressure. When the temperature falls, the number of air molecules and atoms remains the same, they are just not traveling as fast. On the same token, as the leather gets wet, and the leather is able to stretch some, the volume would increase, and the particles would have a larger area to run into, less collisions per given area, and the pressure would also drop.

Easy test would be to return the footballs back to the same condition they were in when they were tested before the game, and then read the pressure again, providing the leather returns to the same dimensions it was before the elements and the game play had an effect on the balls. And don't forget to compensate for changes in barometric pressure.

Same thing happens when I take the car out of my heated garage into 20F temperature. Tire pressure drops, TPM system lights up, I drive back home and everything is back to normal the next morning.

Edited by Dakine10

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Mr. Kraft has spoken. He expects an apology if there are no findings. He stands behind Bill and Tom. He just laid his balls on the line. If Brady and Belichick are lying to him, they are both history. Kraft wouldn't speak out like this unless he truly believed that there was no wrong doing.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12233567/robert-kraft-new-england-patriots-expects-apology-nfl-find-deflategate-culprit

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I wasn't disputing that their footballs didn't leak, just that they said Belichick's explanation was bs.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

just stopping by to say,

FEETBALL !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

But if the air at measuring was 70 F and the air in the ball dropped to 50 F, that is a delta of 20 Degrees and would make a 4 % change

Maybe if they pumped hot air @ 90 and it cooled to 50F...maybe if there was a change in barometric pressure that affected the gauge.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

New topic..which coach should kids emulate..Belichick or Carrol?

Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick: Role Model and Cautionary Tale

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2343029-pete-carroll-and-bill-belichick-role-model-and-cautionary-tale

Pete Carroll is seven months older than Bill Belichick.

Most hardcore fans are aware that Carroll is older. Among casual fans, you could win a lot of bets with this information. The 63-year-old Carroll appears youthful and hearty; he could grab a box of Just for Men and dye his way down to his mid 40s if he tires of the "silver fox" look. Belichick, who turns 63 in April, looks like a bus driver forced to work past retirement age because his pension was gutted. Carroll could play an action movie hero, and it would not have to be an Expendable. Belichick would play the scowling wizard corroded by his exposure to dark sorcery.

hi-res-cd37a06e8dd975ba88e8406ffffa61a7_
Elaine Thompson/Associated Press

It's wrong to equate appearance with virtue. But Carroll and Belichick, viewed side-by-side, look like Kennedy and Nixon in the 1960 presidential debates. Who would you vote for? If they each knocked on the door, and neither was famous, who would you welcome into your house?

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265