NinjaMax

Visitor Visa Loophole?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian Citizen and I take the BUS into the US

unlike going through an Airport you dont go through customs twice, so Canada dosent know if i left Canada and the US dosent know if I left the US, they just know the arrival dates.

From what ive read on this forum, US and Canadian customs dont share their travel information.

This is really confusing because last time I stayed for 3 months+ and I came back for another 4 months+ and they seemed to not know that ive been there for that long, my return ticket just says staying for a week and they take my word for it if i just say im visiting, nothing else.

Has anyone else experienced this and what are your thoughts on this situation? Im thinking I might aswell stay in the US until there is a decision on my k-1, its been 4 months since Filing so im sure a response will come next or the month after.

Thanks

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
09/25/14 - NOA1 Text Message
05/04/15 - NOA2 Text message - Approved
09/15/15 - Interview Montreal [221(g) given for missing ORIGINAL Birth Certificate]
09/15/15 - Ceac Status shows Admin Processing for Sept 15th
11/13/15 - Sent missing document via Loomis to Montreal
11/16/15 - Loomis Tracking shows delivered
11/19/15 - Ceac Status shows Admin Processing for Nov 19th
11/21/15 - Ceac Status shows READY for Nov 21st [Case Creation Date updated to Nov 21st]
11/25/15 - Ceac Status shows Admin Processing for Nov 25th
11/30/15 - VISA Issued !!!!!
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

03/26/16 - Mailed AOS Package
04/03/16 - USCIS Received
05/04/16 - Biometrics Done
05/07/16 - RFE Received (I-864 Joint Sponsor Documentation)
06/28/16 - EAD/AP Approved

07/11/16 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!! / No Interview :dance:
07/13/16 - 2 Year Conditional Green Card arrived in mail

I am a Canadian Citizen and I take the BUS into the US

unlike going through an Airport you dont go through customs twice, so Canada dosent know if i left Canada and the US dosent know if I left the US, they just know the arrival dates.

From what ive read on this forum, US and Canadian customs dont share their travel information.

This is really confusing because last time I stayed for 3 months+ and I came back for another 4 months+ and they seemed to not know that ive been there for that long, my return ticket just says staying for a week and they take my word for it if i just say im visiting, nothing else.

Has anyone else experienced this and what are your thoughts on this situation? Im thinking I might aswell stay in the US until there is a decision on my k-1, its been 4 months since Filing so im sure a response will come next or the month after.

Thanks

:wow:

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/information-for-canadians.html

Canadian citizens do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting or studying. However, as of 23 January 2007, all Canadians entering the U.S. require passports. For further information on passport requirements, please consult the relevant page on this site.

There are some exceptions to this rule -- for example, intending immigrants, fiances or investors must qualify for a visa before entry in the same manner as other nationalities. Other entrants, such as journalists, temporary workers or NAFTA professionals must present all necessary supporting documentation and/or approved petitions directly to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer at the Port of Entry. For information on Visas orDoing Business in the United States, please see the relevant sections of this website.

Please be sure to check the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site for the latest updates on U.S. entry requirements for Canadians and others.

Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U.S. for up to six months at the time of entry. Requests to extend or adjust a stay must be made prior to expiry to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. All Canadians are reminded that U.S. law requires all foreigners to qualify for the desired stay and purpose at the time of their initial entry. A visitor who intends to live, work or study in the U.S. without disclosing this information beforehand may be permanently barred from the U.S.

~

"Patience is bitter, but the fruit is sweet."

12/09/14 - I-129F Application Sent

12/11/14 - NOA1 - TSC

US and Canadian customs now do share all entry and exit information.

You also never go through customs twice at an airport. Almost all Canadian airports have pre-clearance. You go through US customs and then security. On the way back into Canada you go through security in the USA and Canadian customs after landing.

But you cannot just "stay" in the USA beyond your 180 days. You have no legal status and after 180 days you are considered overstayed and can have a ban of 3 years (which means a fun $$$ waiver at interview time.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Customs are interested in what you are bringing into the Country, not what you are talking out.

North Korea may be an exception.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

US and Canadian customs now do share all entry and exit information.

You also never go through customs twice at an airport. Almost all Canadian airports have pre-clearance. You go through US customs and then security. On the way back into Canada you go through security in the USA and Canadian customs after landing.

But you cannot just "stay" in the USA beyond your 180 days. You have no legal status and after 180 days you are considered overstayed and can have a ban of 3 years (which means a fun $$$ waiver at interview time.)

Why havent they brought it up that I overstayed last time? If they do share information that wouldve shown up, thats why I am confused.

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
09/15/15 - Interview Montreal [221(g) given for missing ORIGINAL Birth Certificate]
11/21/15 - Ceac Status shows READY for Nov 21st [Case Creation Date updated to Nov 21st]
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you are currently in the US and it has been 6 months since you last arrived, you really should go back to Canada because of what was explained above with the overstaying issue. Why overstay when you are so close? It is true that no one is stopping you entering back in, and staying for another 6 months, note SIX months at a time only.

Now, once your K-1 is approved, you're gonna have to go back to Canada and re-enter with the K1 so you activate it.

So, I just saw your post while I was writing this and apparently you overstayed... I honestly don't know what the proper answer is but I can tell you for sure it can come up in the future either when you adjust or when you apply for citizenship, if you ever decide to do so.

By how much did you overstay? Was your passport checked at the border? I haven't travelled between US and Canada in 4 yrs so I don't know if they stamp at entry now.

Edited by Dohan
K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Why havent they brought it up that I overstayed last time? If they do share information that wouldve shown up, thats why I am confused.

It's a fairly recent border plan between the CBSA and CBP.

I have no idea why you're even flirting with the issue.

Yeah being apart sucks. I was married May 2012 and didn't get to live with my husband until June 2013. I was lucky my journey was so quick. I was a great deal more fortunate than most. Some others were quicker and I was super happy for them, but they didn't try to skirt around the system, which I have no tolerance for. Maybe I have zero sympathy for you and should stop commenting, which is what I'm going to do.

Don't break the law and don't talk about breaking the law on VJ. It's a TOS violation, FYI.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

BTW, what I am referring to is you talking about lying to the CBP about your duration of stay, which it sounds like you're doing purposefully.

Timeline

It's a fairly recent border plan between the CBSA and CBP.

I have no idea why you're even flirting with the issue.

Yeah being apart sucks. I was married May 2012 and didn't get to live with my husband until June 2013. I was lucky my journey was so quick. I was a great deal more fortunate than most. Some others were quicker and I was super happy for them, but they didn't try to skirt around the system, which I have no tolerance for. Maybe I have zero sympathy for you and should stop commenting, which is what I'm going to do.

Don't break the law and don't talk about breaking the law on VJ. It's a TOS violation, FYI.

wow calm down, are you the border police?

I was asking a simple question because I didnt know how the law worked, and if they didnt bring it up to me how am I suppose to know whats going on with them?

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

Timeline

BTW, what I am referring to is you talking about lying to the CBP about your duration of stay, which it sounds like you're doing purposefully.

No I didnt lie, I was going to stay for a week and then that storm winter storm hit so I changed my ticket, realised I might aswell stay for new years and my fiances birthday.

Im glad youre one of those people that cares more about border police than someone trying to be with their fiance.

You said you visited for 3 months then 4 months? So where is the problem?

thats where I am confused.... isnt that considered 7 months, those were 2 separate instances? Or do the 180 days start upon entry?

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

I care more about not breaking the rules so that everyone has it easier. People who break the rules are the ones that make it harder on people who always try to play it straight. I don't try to find loopholes to help myself do things. Yes, it makes me angry when people do that, so if you're genuinely not, while it seems like you are, I apologize for getting upset. I just is one of those things that makes me automatically angry and annoyed.

You're looking at possibly getting a ban, which BAFFLES me as to why you would want to do that. I just cannot process WHY you would jeopardize your visa journey. Like I said, i get that being apart sucks and I spent my fair share crying when it happened, but it's just a part of the process. It's just a suck it up and deal with it type of issue to me.

It is 180 days per 365. The clock doesn't reset at the beginning of the calendar year. There is some debate in the Canada forum as to if it's per calendar year or per 365 however. I've seen people get away with per calendar year. But getting away with and being legal may be two different things.

<eom>

Timeline

I care more about not breaking the rules so that everyone has it easier. People who break the rules are the ones that make it harder on people who always try to play it straight. I don't try to find loopholes to help myself do things. Yes, it makes me angry when people do that, so if you're genuinely not, while it seems like you are, I apologize for getting upset. I just is one of those things that makes me automatically angry and annoyed.

You're looking at possibly getting a ban, which BAFFLES me as to why you would want to do that. I just cannot process WHY you would jeopardize your visa journey. Like I said, i get that being apart sucks and I spent my fair share crying when it happened, but it's just a part of the process. It's just a suck it up and deal with it type of issue to me.

It is 180 days per 365. The clock doesn't reset at the beginning of the calendar year. There is some debate in the Canada forum as to if it's per calendar year or per 365 however. I've seen people get away with per calendar year. But getting away with and being legal may be two different things.

<eom>

Alright thanks,

Ive been staying no more than 3-4 months at a time, going back to Canada waiting for a few months and coming back again, they seem to never bring that up.

The next time I come back is with a valid k-1 visa (hopefully), I should be fine right? and that $$$ waiver you were talking about only applies to someone who has been banned?

K-1 Timeline

09/15/14 - Mailed I-129F
12/07/15 - VISA in hand

AOS Timeline

I don't see any problem with what the op has done so far. A 3 and 4 month visit are perfectly within the law. Canadian tourists are allowed 6 months per entry, the calendar year has nothing to do with it. Also Canadian tourists are considered to be in a Duration Of Stay status which means they are not eligible for any bans if they do overstay. But it is never a good idea to overstay as CBP can implement their own type of ban by simply refusing entry.

To the op, the usual rule of thumb is to spend more time in Canada than in the US. Usually Border Patrol will let you know if you're pushing the limits and will tell you that after this visit you need to stay out of the US for a while.

Edited by Teddy B

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.