Multivitaminico

Why is the application fee still so expensive? (Merged)

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Honestly, it is not that expensive!

You want to become a citizen right? So show them that you really want to! It is not like it's a fee that came out of nowhere!

Every single step in the immigration process cost money, we know it. Plan ahead of time and save money!

Ultimately, that will be my only option

I don't understand why they refuse to offer a reduced fee option of $400 for example, for low income residents based on annual income, at least, you would be paying something, rather than paying nothing (fee waiver $0), you would think they would offer this option, knowing that we are in a recession, and the main reason why more residents don't apply for it, is due to the cost, but NO

Edited by Multivitaminico

N-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

06-26-2010 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)
01-06-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)

01-12-2015 = N-400 packet delivered

--- = Check cashed
--- = NOA1 received (Priority Date --)
--- = Biometrics Letter received (Bio set for --)
--- = In line for interview
--- = Interview completed
--- = Oath letter received
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

you would have to be a senior or disabled person, living in deplorable conditions, leeching off all government aid, for them to even consider you, and you would have to send 100% proof of this claims for them to approve you

Nice to know how you feel about the elderly and disabled...

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

Both my boys applied for fee waiver and were approved. They filled out the papers provided proof that they were eligible and that was it.

that is the main reason they were approved

06-26-2010 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

:thumbs:

I look at it this way, US Naturalization is not mandatory. When you become a US citizen, you are entitled to all the benefit that come along with it.

N-400

10/08/2014 N400 sent

10/16/14 Check Cashed

11/13/14 Biometrics

01/06/15 N400 Interview

01/30/15 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

that is the main reason they were approved

Nope they met the requirements plain and simple.

Other members here on VJ that applied for the fee waiver and were approved.

Either you didn't qualify or you didn't give adequate proof for the reason you chose.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Ultimately, that will be my only option

I don't understand why they refuse to offer a reduced fee option of $400 for example, for low income residents based on annual income, at least, you would be paying something, rather than paying nothing (fee waiver $0), you would think they would offer this option, knowing that we are in a recession, and the main reason why more residents don't apply for it, is due to the cost, but NO

Not to add fuel to the debate; but....

citizenship is not a right (for the ones not born here that is; it is a benefit...full disclosue: I was not born here).

At some point in your life you made the decision to live in the US, maybe your parents get you residence but at the end as an adult you decided to stay. Furthermore, you are now making the decision to become a citizen, and that choice has implications: fees to name one.

The fees are decided by the entity providing/facilitating the benefit; and in my mind actual cost has nothing to do with it; though it is likely to be the main reason in this case.

It is no different IMHO than an airfare, a movie ticket, your salary, the price of the car you drive, the house/aprtment you rent or purchased, etc: if you don't like the price you don't have to take it.

The main "difference" is that this is a government service, but since when is the government obligated to subsidize immigrants? They might do it at times for political reasons though, not arguing that.

There might be some special reductions, waivers, etc; and the provider of the benefit gets to decide what those are and what group benefits.

Notice that at no point I'm saying that fees are low or that seem to not be on the high side relative to immigrants/residents who might not have enough means; not having enough means is a different discussion/conversation alltogether.

BTW, You might want to consider the cost of the passport itself, plus pics.

Timeline

i knew i would get these kind of responses, usually people who are already citizen, so they have no real sympathy or understanding of your situation

people here talk as if im asking to pay nothing, i want the option to pay a reduced amount based on my income, like $350, is not fair that they offer a $0 waiver for extreme cases like kids or leeches of the government, yet refuse to help the average guy who is not poor per se, but makes only minimum wage

at least, we would be paying something, rather than those very few who get lucky enough to no pay nothing, but they would never add that option because they know many will go that route and they would get less money

in the end, it all boils down to the might green

also gotta love how some people come and say, i was approved for waiver, oh my kids were approved as if they are bragging or rubbing on your face, knowing u were denied, assuming that just because they were approved then anyone can lol

then blame the person for the denial as if it was our fault we got denied, saying oh you must have not submitted or done something wrong, always shitting on the little guy and never questioning the big company decisions

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

I'm a permanent resident. I applied for fee waiver last year and was denied.

My green card expires on September 2015, and I was unaware of the fact that you also have to pay money to renew it, actually $450 total. I was under the impression that it was actually free.

Damn, if I have to pay this much just to renew my green card, might as well, just pay the $680 for citizenship, which is only $230 more

I have the money, I just didn't want to pay that much, thinking I could just renew my green card for free, so it doesn't matter anymore. I will send them freaking check and application.

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
... I have been a resident for 9 years now, without even a single traffic ticket whatsoever...

So in 9 years you could not save $700.00? You know that totals to about $6.50 a month? Even if you were unemployed for 2 years, that still would total $8.35 a month. A kid with a paper route could save that much monthly (I should know, I had a paper route when I was 10 years old and made $25.00 weekly).

To put it in better perspective, it's the cost of one McDonald's happy meal in the NYC area. Look, I don't know fully what your past situation was when you were employed, but even a homeless person can buy happy meal once a month (and yes, I was once homeless too and bought happy meals once a week, let alone once a month).

Secondly, $700.00 is rather cheap considering the benefits U.S. Citizenship grants you. I am sure any beneficiary here on VJ, my wife not withstanding will tell you that U.S. Citizenship is priceless in comparison to most other countries.

Part of the executive action is uscis will start accepting credit card payment for n400 this should be implemented sometime this year. I think this would be a good option to consider . If you ask me about my opinion , I would tell the fees are 2 much , but it seems the government is taking advantage of the immigrants need and their families. Why uscis doesn't got funded partially by tax money ! When more than quarter of my income is going to the government , why also I need to pay high fees to complete any process with uscis !

But finally what we can do , we need to play by their rules.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

So in 9 years you could not save $700.00? You know that totals to about $6.50 a month? Even if you were unemployed for 2 years, that still would total $8.35 a month. A kid with a paper route could save that much monthly (I should know, I had a paper route when I was 10 years old and made $25.00 weekly).

To put it in better perspective, it's the cost of one McDonald's happy meal in the NYC area. Look, I don't know fully what your past situation was when you were employed, but even a homeless person can buy happy meal once a month (and yes, I was once homeless too and bought happy meals once a week, let alone once a month).

Secondly, $700.00 is rather cheap considering the benefits U.S. Citizenship grants you. I am sure any beneficiary here on VJ, my wife not withstanding will tell you that U.S. Citizenship is priceless in comparison to most other countries.

doesnt matter anymore

i have the money, i just didn't want to pay it, but it seems i dont have a choice anymore, now that my green card expires september 2015 and i have to pay $450 to renew lmao

might as well just become a citizen

fuk it lol

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

doesnt matter anymore

i have the money, i just didn't want to pay it, but it seems i dont have a choice anymore, now that my green card expires september 2015 and i have to pay $450 to renew lmao

might as well just become a citizen

fuk it lol

That's the spirit!!! (Tongue in cheek)

Timeline

Love how the unemployed but seemingly able-bodied OP demeans the elderly and disabled for "leaching off the government" in the midst of crying about not getting a freebee for himself. Real nice.

lol not unemployed anymore

I just felt frustrated, because I put so much effort on getting that fee waiver, I made sure everything was correct, I was sure I was going to get it based on my situations, yet got denied, I was simply not poor enough lol

doesn't matter anymore, I will pay the full cost now, I have no choice

--- = Check cashed
--- = Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.