luvofghana

221g what does it mean

21 posts in this topic

Please anybody I need advice and help. My fiance had his interview in Ghana today where he was asked very few questions. We came prepared with a ton of supporting evidence of our relationship and all other needed documentation. He was asked to go out and take a seat a few minutes later he was called to the window and told his visa could not be approved and given a letter on a white sheet of paper that said applicant is ineligable uner 221g INA. But gave no reason for such nor did the consular tell him a reason. So what does that mean and what do we do now? His police certs all came back clear and so did his medicals. I don't understand. I can thinbk of one possiblke mistake and that was I forgot to list his son on my I-129f application and we wanted him to come at the same time with my fiance, could that be why?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

That is the so called "Administrative Processing", unfortunately there is nothing you can do but wait. There is no telling how long AP can last.

K-1 I-129F Sent : 2012-04-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-05-03

I-129F RFE(s) :NONE!!! Praise GOD!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-11-07

NVC Received : 2012-11-13

NVC Left : 2012-11-28

Consulate Received : 2012-12-03

Packet 3 Received : 2012-12-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-12-15

Packet 4 Received : 2012-12-20

Interview Date : 2013-01-18

Interview Result : Administrative Review

2013-11-20 Embassy requested new medical, pictures and DS160.2014-02-24 Fingerprints and Oath (But was told AP was still in place).Ceac Status:2014-03-06 Creation date changed and also changed from immigrant to non-immigrant.2014-04-08 and 2014-04-11

Status Updates 2014-04-15 "ISSUED" To God be the glory!!!

2014-04-19 Visa in hand.2014-04-21

POE 2014-06-01 Married!

AOS 2014-07-19 AOS/EAD/AP

Mailed 2014-07-21

NOA 12014-08-18

Biometrics 2014-09-23

EAD/AP Combo Card Received2015-01-03

Received Potencial Interview Waiver Notice2015-05-01

Submitted Service Request2015-05-08 Reponse to Service Request "File is in transit to Washington District office 2015-05-19"

Mailed Renewal of EAD/AP2015-05-26

USCIS Received EAD/AP Applications 2015-06-04

NOA 1 & Biometrics Appointment 2015-06-17

Biometrics 2015-06-09 2nd Service Request (No answer)

2015-07-10 Status of EAD/AP Changed to "Card in production"2015-07-10

3rd Service Request 2015-07-17

Received EAD 2015-07-21

2016-24-07 Still Waiting!!! 2 YEARS!!!!No interview, No Greencard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It is not AP, he has an ineligibility or they don't believe you have a relationship. What questions were asked during the interview ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

That is the so called "Administrative Processing", unfortunately there is nothing you can do but wait. There is no telling how long AP can last.

This is not simply being in AP. This person was told they were ineligible for the visa, not that they needed to wait in AP for the visa to be issued.

OP, this is what the 221g is >

Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act

(g) No visa or other documentation shall be issued to an alien if (1) it appears to the consular officer, from statements in the application, or in the papers submitted therewith, that such alien is ineligible to receive a visa or such other documentation under section 212, or any other provision of law, (2) the application fails to comply with the provisions of this Act, or the regulations issued thereunder, or (3) the consular officer knows or has reason to believe that such alien is ineligible to receive a visa or such other documentation under section 212, or any other provision of law: Provided, That a visa or other documentation may be issued to an alien who is within the purview of section 212(a)(4), if such alien is otherwise entitled to receive a visa or other documentation, upon receipt of notice by the consular officer from the Attorney General of the giving of a bond or undertaking providing indemnity as in the case of aliens admitted under section 213: Provided further, That a visa may be issued to an alien defined in section 101(a)(15)(B) or (F ), if such alien is otherwise entitled to receive a visa, upon receipt of a notice by the consular officer from the Attorney General of the giving of a bond with sufficient surety in such sum and containing such conditions as the consular officer shall prescribe, to insure that at the expiration of the time for which such alien has been admitted by the Attorney General, as provided in section 214(a), or upon failure to maintain the status under which he was admitted, or to maintain any status subsequently acquired under section 248 of the Act, such alien will depart from the United States.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/ineligibilities.html#visa

There is some reason the CO felt he was not eligible to receive the visa. Any idea at all what could possibly make him inadmissible?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm thinking that if they forgot to add the beneficiaries son for a K-3 and that was brought up at the interview, that could be a reason to be not eligible? Can anyone confirm that could be the reason?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm thinking that if they forgot to add the beneficiaries son for a K-3 and that was brought up at the interview, that could be a reason to be not eligible? Can anyone confirm that could be the reason?

His son does not have to travel with him on a K3 visa, as his son can always be petitioned later after the marriage. The reasons why he was denied a visa has everything to do with the evidence you provided the C.O. The C.O. denied your fiance because he/she did not believe your relationship was bonafide and/or legitimate.

To overcome the denial you must first go over your submitted evidence and focus on what more the consulate needs to validate your relationship as real. You may have to visit each other a few more times. Or it could be that he is very much younger than you and is subject to more scrutiny. Your social network pages may tell a different story than what was submitted, (yes they do check your facebook and twitter accounts).

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

His son does not have to travel with him on a K3 visa, as his son can always be petitioned later after the marriage. The reasons why he was denied a visa has everything to do with the evidence you provided the C.O. The C.O. denied your fiance because he/she did not believe your relationship was bonafide and/or legitimate.

To overcome the denial you must first go over your submitted evidence and focus on what more the consulate needs to validate your relationship as real. You may have to visit each other a few more times. Or it could be that he is very much younger than you and is subject to more scrutiny. Your social network pages may tell a different story than what was submitted, (yes they do check your facebook and twitter accounts).

Good luck!

omitting your child on an immigration form is a major red flag and could be the cause for denial. I believe one of the forms asks if you have any children. by not answering you are lying to the government..

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Timeline

Thank you

(C) Misrepresentation.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who, by fraud or willfully misrepresenting a material fact, seeks to procure (or has sought to procure or has procured) a visa, other documentation, or admission into the United States or other benefit provided under this Act is inadmissible.

Not disclosing a child is a material fact.

I remember a Canadian being denied under the "moral turpitude" because they accused her of abandoning her children. At a high-fraud consulate, that could very well be the case. Just speculating.

http://www.uscis.gov/iframe/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-2006.html

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

It is not AP, he has an ineligibility or they don't believe you have a relationship. What questions were asked during the interview ?

She questioned him and his son about my time there, where we stayed, what we ate, what religion I am, who paid for the hotel where we stayed who paid for my plane ticket ect.... My fiance has a clean background, good work history, clear medical.

My fiance is 12 years younger then me and I'm sorry but I have seen others with allot bigger age gap then that so I don't believe its an age issue

By the time I realized I had submitted the I-129f petition that did not list his son I immediatly called USCIS and the NVC both told me to email the consulars office and tell them to add him and that's all I needed to do. I sent three emails to the Ghana embassy until I got a response and they told us to notify the consular of that at the interview. Unfortunatly the consular did not give my fiance the time to do that.. but he brought his son with him to the interview like we were told to do and the consular asked him questions and he did a great job talking to her and hes only 10 years old.

Edited by devswallah

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

She questioned him and his son about my time there, where we stayed, what we ate, what religion I am, who paid for the hotel where we stayed who paid for my plane ticket ect.... My fiance has a clean background, good work history, clear medical.

My fiance is 12 years younger then me and I'm sorry but I have seen others with allot bigger age gap then that so I don't believe its an age issue

In Ghana, this is an issue/red flag. They doubt your relationship.

Timeline

In Ghana, this is an issue/red flag. They doubt your relationship.

Red flag as in discrimination.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.