Novak.Ani

K-1 No meeting in person- only hope- Fiance in Gaza

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I agree with the others by trying to meet in a different country, like Egypt. It really does help a lot to meet the person you want to marry in person. I've been to the border of Egypt and Palestine and it's very hectic. Didn't actually cross but there was just so many people there trying to enter goods from Egypt. Another thing is that they opens the borders for a certain time period.. And it can close randomly.. At least that was the case when I went in 2009. You are definitely in a tough situation. You can try to go to the border and see what they tell you or get information from other people who know more. Definitely don't take the risk of getting inside Palestine if you feel don't feel they can guarantee you a way out. It's something you can explain when doing the k-1 visa.. Show evidence that he tried to meet you someplace else and evidence of when you were trying to get into Palestine. Do some research on how it is now to get there and analyze the risks. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Yeah, I am pretty sure the border with Egypt is closed right now. The Egyptian governmet is currently removing houses along the border and creating more of a buffer zone. Just google "Sinai Gaza border" and you'll quickly see that area isn't exactly peaceful right now. Also, the Egyptian government hates Hamas and does what it can to undermine them in Gaza.

In other words, you're going to be SOL trying to go that route right now.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Does he have an Israeli passport or PA passport? If he has an Israeli passport he can travel. Sorry if this is a stupid question but if he didn't always live in Gaza he might have an Israeli passport. If he has PA documents, it would be difficult but he could try traveling through Jordan.

But also as far as I know, Gazans need authorization from Hamas to travel (again I do apologise if this information is incorrect) and I honestly doubt they would give him permission to leave...

If there is any way he can get otu of Gaza he would have a higher chance of success applying for a refugee status or asylum. And once he gets that, you guys can marry. Maybe consider that option.

K-1 Visa

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate: Mumbai, India

Met at University in UK: 2010

Engaged in India: 03/31/2014

I-129F Sent: 06/20/2014

NOA1: 06/25/2014

NOA2: 12/16/2014

NOA2 Hardcopy Received: 12/23/2014

Case Sent to NVC: 12/23/2014

NVC Case Number Assigned: 01/05/2015

Case Sent to Consulate: 01/08/2015

Case "Ready" at Consulate: 01/09/2015

Applied for PCC: 01/20/2015

PCC in hand: 02/23/2015

Medical: 01/23/2015

Completed DS-160 and paid visa fee: 02/20/2015

Interview: 03/13/2015 APPROVED :)--> Same day went into AP

Visa "issued" on CEAC webstie: 03/16/2015

:goofy: :goofy: Visa in hand! 03/18/2015 :goofy::goofy:

POE: 06/04/2015 :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

AOS Journey

06.11.2015- City Hall Wedding

06.29.2015- Mailed AOS Package

07.01.2015 - Package Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

07.02.2015- Date Received as per USCIS

07.09.2015- NOA1 for EAD/AP

07.24.2015- RFE :ranting:

08.13.2015- USCIS accepted RFE response

09.08.2015- EAD received

Waiting for the interview :clock:

12.19.2015 WE GOT THE GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL!!!!! No interview :)

ROC

10.25.2017 ROC packet received by VT Service Center

11.02.2017- Received NOA dated 10.26.2017

11.29.17- Completed Biometrics

Waiting for the interview :clock:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As an aside this is a long and expensive process. No doubt even longer after yesterday.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

Does he have an Israeli passport or PA passport? If he has an Israeli passport he can travel. Sorry if this is a stupid question but if he didn't always live in Gaza he might have an Israeli passport. If he has PA documents, it would be difficult but he could try traveling through Jordan.

But also as far as I know, Gazans need authorization from Hamas to travel (again I do apologise if this information is incorrect) and I honestly doubt they would give him permission to leave...

If there is any way he can get otu of Gaza he would have a higher chance of success applying for a refugee status or asylum. And once he gets that, you guys can marry. Maybe consider that option.

That is a good idea indeed. And he does not have an Israeli passport, though I wonder if that would be obtainable ? I haven't considered that but sadly, that would probably help him if its possible. More than a Palestinian passport. Thank you!!

As an aside this is a long and expensive process. No doubt even longer after yesterday.

Yes, we may have to welcome a few more engaged years under our tattered belts regarding this endeavor. Lol I'll fight forever until all options are exhausted and we are damned to live apart.

I agree with the others by trying to meet in a different country, like Egypt. It really does help a lot to meet the person you want to marry in person. I've been to the border of Egypt and Palestine and it's very hectic. Didn't actually cross but there was just so many people there trying to enter goods from Egypt. Another thing is that they opens the borders for a certain time period.. And it can close randomly.. At least that was the case when I went in 2009. You are definitely in a tough situation. You can try to go to the border and see what they tell you or get information from other people who know more. Definitely don't take the risk of getting inside Palestine if you feel don't feel they can guarantee you a way out. It's something you can explain when doing the k-1 visa.. Show evidence that he tried to meet you someplace else and evidence of when you were trying to get into Palestine. Do some research on how it is now to get there and analyze the risks. Good luck!

It's very much the situation now. They won't even allow proper building material to enter Gaza at the moment. So I know going would be foolish. Just getting him out , like everyone has so kindly suggested, maybe if by some stroke of luck, he can meet me elsewhere. I think that is what we will plan now. I talked to him about all of this too and he agrees it would be best. We really are dying to meet in person.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the border with Egypt is closed right now. The Egyptian governmet is currently removing houses along the border and creating more of a buffer zone. Just google "Sinai Gaza border" and you'll quickly see that area isn't exactly peaceful right now. Also, the Egyptian government hates Hamas and does what it can to undermine them in Gaza.

In other words, you're going to be SOL trying to go that route right now.

Yeah well.... Palestinians hate Hamas too. I'm no fan. So they are Sol of sorts which we cannot figure. Don't need Google for that, I am seeing first hand updates from my friends on the ground :( . But thank you for confirming this for others who may be unaware . that route is fruitless. Gaza is just so sad, I will never understand it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** This thread seems to have evolved from a K-1 process issue to one of geographic nature, so it's moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Middle East/North Africa regional subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

look, let me tell you first hand how BAD is it in Palestine. I'm American (not arab and don't speak Arabic) and I'm in the West bank right now. Gaza is sooooooo much worse then the West Bank, you can't even imagine. an outsider (non-Palestinian) can not live here. You might fly all the way over here and not be allowed into Gaza, this is real. Israel has complete control over who enters, pretty much like a prison. I used to enter through Jordan with my husband through the King Hussein bridge and you feel like you are nothing and you get treated with the most disrespect, plus you sit 7 hours at the border. now I go through Tel aviv and I never say I'm going to the west bank and I'm outside within 15 min of landing. But entering through Erez most likely you would get denied. I'm not saying don't go, but really just try to go to Egypt. do not risk getting stuck in Gaza. I know 2 people(Palestinians) in Gaza who have been waiting to get their interview in Jerusalem for over 6 months.

Do you know, there is almost nothing to do in West Bank/Gaza? No malls, no parks, no museums, nothing to do. it is the most boring place one could be stuck in. Israel does not allow any name brands so the only things you can find at the stores are similar to what you might find at the dollar store, like there is nothing of quality anywhere. Yes people are extremely close with their families/2nd 3rd cousins because that's the only thing to do, visit people.The power goes out constantly, you would never have a hot shower and the homes are literally freezing in the winter because Israelis don't allow insulation in the homes and buildings. There are huge balloons in the sky recording everything, watching everything....This is what like is like under an occupation. Sometimes I feel scared to be here but my case has dragged on for over 2 years, so I do come visit but still...do you know how many times I tried to expedite it? always got denied. I've had my senator and congressman involved and no one cares. then tried to get it expedited from the consulate also denied....I do not think you would get a K-1 without meeting. Especially for Palestine.

meet Sept 2008 in Chicago
He left back to Palestine Aug 2010
I went to Palestine May 30,2012
6/13/2012 Married in Palestine
7/04/2012 arrived back in Chicago
7/25/2012 mailed in I-130
7/26/2012 NOA 1 arrived. to be serviced in California
3/3/2013 our baby was born !!!!

6/17/2013 Case transferred to Local city

11/13/2013 interview at Chicago

1/27/2014 RFE DNA test

3/7/2014 RFE completed and mailed in

5/12/2014 **I-130 APPROVED** !! 652 days

6/3/2014 NVC received case

7/11/2014 choice of agent signed

7/19/2014 pay AOS bill, send aos packet

7/22/2014 NVC received AOS papers

8/20/2014 send IV packet

8/25/2014 NVC received IV papers

8/27/2014 pay IV bill

9/9/2014 DS-260 completed

9/15/2014 AOS checklist

9/24/2014 NVC scanned aos

10/29/2014 "paid" turned to "n/a"

10/31/2014 called NVC and confirmed case complete

11/4/2014 email with interview scheduled

12/15/2014 INTERVIEW

02/20/2015 I-601 waiver received @ Nebraska

07/14/2015 I-601 waiver APPROVED

8/10/2015 ceac changed from refused to ready

8/12/2015 visa was issued !!!!!!

8/25/2015 POE Chicago, no questions asked about waiver

Timeline

look, let me tell you first hand how BAD is it in Palestine. I'm American (not arab and don't speak Arabic) and I'm in the West bank right now. Gaza is sooooooo much worse then the West Bank, you can't even imagine. an outsider (non-Palestinian) can not live here. You might fly all the way over here and not be allowed into Gaza, this is real. Israel has complete control over who enters, pretty much like a prison. I used to enter through Jordan with my husband through the King Hussein bridge and you feel like you are nothing and you get treated with the most disrespect, plus you sit 7 hours at the border. now I go through Tel aviv and I never say I'm going to the west bank and I'm outside within 15 min of landing. But entering through Erez most likely you would get denied. I'm not saying don't go, but really just try to go to Egypt. do not risk getting stuck in Gaza. I know 2 people(Palestinians) in Gaza who have been waiting to get their interview in Jerusalem for over 6 months.

Do you know, there is almost nothing to do in West Bank/Gaza? No malls, no parks, no museums, nothing to do. it is the most boring place one could be stuck in. Israel does not allow any name brands so the only things you can find at the stores are similar to what you might find at the dollar store, like there is nothing of quality anywhere. Yes people are extremely close with their families/2nd 3rd cousins because that's the only thing to do, visit people.The power goes out constantly, you would never have a hot shower and the homes are literally freezing in the winter because Israelis don't allow insulation in the homes and buildings. There are huge balloons in the sky recording everything, watching everything....This is what like is like under an occupation. Sometimes I feel scared to be here but my case has dragged on for over 2 years, so I do come visit but still...do you know how many times I tried to expedite it? always got denied. I've had my senator and congressman involved and no one cares. then tried to get it expedited from the consulate also denied....I do not think you would get a K-1 without meeting. Especially for Palestine.

Thank you!!!!! This is the kind if thing people don't understand unless they have an insiders word for it. And it sounds ludicrous to explain. I don't care about shopping malls lol that's seldom an option for entertainment. I am like Gazans in that way, I prefer my family. But I am not forced to. Neither are they really. My Habibi has a lot of unrelated friends, just he is sick of the bs from people, like myself. We agreed to try and meet in Egypt first. Thank you and everyone

Timeline

Egypt opened the Raffah crossing today. No telling how long it will stay open, though.

God is good. I hope they get supplies. They open so randomly. Thanks for the update :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Seems to be to allow those caught outside to return.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.