Rob L

Without Lucrative Market, Potential Ebola Vaccine Was Shelved for Years

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/without-lucrative-market-potential-ebola-vaccine-was-shelved-for-years/ar-BBaMFPM?ocid=U219DHP

GALVESTON, Tex. — Almost a decade ago, scientists from Canada and the United States reported that they had created a vaccine that was 100 percent effective in protecting monkeys against the Ebola virus. The results were published in a respected journal, and health officials called them exciting. The researchers said tests in people might start within two years, and a product could potentially be ready for licensing by 2010 or 2011.

It never happened. The vaccine sat on a shelf. Only now, with nearly 5,000 people dead from Ebola and an epidemic raging out of control in West Africa, is the vaccine undergoing the most basic safety tests in humans.

Its development stalled in part because Ebola was rare, and until now outbreaks had infected only a few hundred people at a time. But experts also acknowledge that the lack of follow-up on such a promising candidate reflects a broader failure to produce medicines and vaccines for diseases that afflict poor countries. Most drug companies have resisted spending the enormous sums needed to to develop products useful mostly to poor countries with little ability to pay for them.

Now, as the growing epidemic devastates West Africa and is seen as a potential threat to other regions as well, governments and aid groups have begun to open their wallets. A flurry of research to test drugs and vaccines is underway, with clinical trials starting for several candidates, including the vaccine produced nearly a decade ago. With no vaccines or proven drugs currently available, the stepped up efforts are a desperate measure to stop a disease that has defied traditional means of containing it.

“There’s never been a big market for Ebola vaccines,” said Thomas W. Geisbert, an Ebola expert here at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, and one of the developers of the vaccine that worked so well in monkeys. “So big pharma, who are they going to sell it to?” Dr. Geisbert added: “It takes a crisis sometimes to get people talking. ‘Ok. We’ve got to do something here.' ”

Dr. James E. Crowe Jr., director of a vaccine research center at Vanderbilt University, said that academic researchers who develop a prototype drug or vaccine that works in animals often encountered a “biotech valley of death” in which no drug company would help them cross the finish line.

Up to that point, the research may have cost a few million dollars, but tests in humans and scaling up production can cost hundreds of millions, and bringing a new vaccine all the way to market typically costs $1 billion to $1.5 billion, Dr. Crowe said. “Who’s going to pay for that?” he asked.

“People invest in order to get money back,” Dr. Crowe added.

The Ebola vaccine on which Dr. Geisbert collaborated is made from another virus, V.S.V., for vesicular stomatitis virus, which causes a mouth disease in cattle but rarely infects people. It had already been used successfully in making other vaccines.

The researchers altered V.S.V. by removing one of its genes — rendering the virus harmless — and inserting a gene from Ebola. The transplanted gene forces V.S.V. to sprout Ebola proteins on its surface. The proteins cannot cause illness, but they provoke an immune response that in monkeys, considered a good surrogate for humans, fought off the disease.

The vaccine was actually produced, in Winnipeg by the Public Health Agency of Canada. The Canadian government patented it, and 800 to 1,000 vials of the vaccine were produced. In 2010, it licensed the vaccine, known as VSV-EBOV, to NewLink Genetics, in Ames, Iowa.

The Canadian government donated the existing vials to the World Health Organization, and safety tests of the vaccine in healthy volunteers have already begun.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: Other Timeline

You seem surprised? If you base all your decisions on a market model, this is inevitably the result. I don't see why this should be cause for surprise. What is good is a lot of ground work has been achieved and now that US citizens, who have disposable income to spend on preventative medicine (at least some of them anyway) are 'threatened' with exposure, however unlikely that threat of exposure actually is, someone wants to think about marketing it. Genius this isn't.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You seem surprised? If you base all your decisions on a market model, this is inevitably the result. I don't see why this should be cause for surprise. What is good is a lot of ground work has been achieved and now that US citizens, who have disposable income to spend on preventative medicine (at least some of them anyway) are 'threatened' with exposure, however unlikely that threat of exposure actually is, someone wants to think about marketing it. Genius this isn't.

Why waste time with vaccines when you can pump new versions of old drugs, so you can make top dollar?

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Drug companies are too busy making B0ner pills. That's where the money is.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Let's see, 10 years ago, who was preznit then? Hmmmmmm, I'm think in' it was W. What does Uncle Gary have to say about this? Ebola is actually Bush's fault.

Maybe he was too busy spending billions of dollars on HIV/AIDS in Africa to worry about something that wasn't a crisis? Anything's possible.

Let's see, 10 years ago, who was preznit then? Hmmmmmm, I'm think in' it was W. What does Uncle Gary have to say about this? Ebola is actually Bush's fault.

Darn I knew it would be Bush's fault.

I wonder if it will be Bushs fault when Harry Reid loses control of the Senate and Obama just plays golf the next two years

Edited by The Nature Boy

Darn I knew it would be Bush's fault.

I wonder if it will be Bushs fault when Harry Reid loses control of the Senate and Obama just plays golf the next two years

But this vaccine shelving happened under Bush's watch, so it's his fault. Anything that happens during a President's tenure is directly attributed to him, even if it isn't. I got a speeding ticket, it's Obama's fault. I'm just following the typical VJ logic. Unless someone can trace it back earlier, then we could blame it on Clinton.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

But this vaccine shelving happened under Bush's watch, so it's his fault. Anything that happens during a President's tenure is directly attributed to him, even if it isn't. I got a speeding ticket, it's Obama's fault. I'm just following the typical VJ logic. Unless someone can trace it back earlier, then we could blame it on Clinton.

True except Obama. everything that happened on his watch is still Bush s fault

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If this bothers you, start your own pharma company and run it as a charity. Let's see how well you do. Let's see if you can even make payroll.

Yeah right, let's completely ignore how rigged the system is.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Canadian Government holds the patent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

One of them Bush boys put a moratorium on DNA research for humans.

Since this is a cow-DNA-based medicine, I don't see the conflict, but - still, it's a money problem. [lack of] - need money to do human trials in USA. Other countries (like Cuba) would have done something differently, for 1/16 to 1/32 of the money needed in USA, and been successful.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No not surprised, just curious to see watch the reaction of the group. I am sure that if I posted a video of a little girl laughing while holding a puppy it would some how devolve into a discussion about guns, race, ineffective presidents, terrorism or the threat of foreign workers.

Edited by Rob L

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265