19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Unsure of options

K-1 and her K-2 arrived here Sept 11th. Marriage was supposed to be in Oc.t They are arguing a lot, and her fiancé has postponed the wedding.

Today he slapped her.

What happens to her and her K-2 if they don't get married or secondly, what

happens if she came here in good faith and he has slapped her?

No one but the baby witnessed it, but they both have told others.

He didn't hit her hard, just a brush on the head. He said she was gossiping about him tofriends.

Edited by sassyseawitch

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I think it would be a reach to call this domestic violence. Some would disagree. No marriage=no green card. And for a K-1 holder no way to obtain a green card but through the original petitioner.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

With K-1 your sister has to marry her fiance or she has to return to her home country. Also she can only marry her fiancee and not someone else, under the terms of the K-1 visa.

If she can't work it out, then she needs to return home.

I am sorry that she is having to deal with this...

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Today he slapped her.

He didn't hit her hard, just a brush on the head.

what happens if she came here in good faith and he has slapped her?

Let me ask you to ask your friend this. If she was in her own country, what she'd do?

Next, if she is offended by this hitting or brushing or w/e she wants to call it, she needs to simply reconsider marriage options herself and take actions to uphold her own self esteem.

Last but, not the least, if "a brush on the head" is now becoming an issue to invoke VAWA provisions, husband tickling his wife or vice a versa can possibly be construed as aggravated second degree assault next. God forbid if tickling happened in the nether regions... aggravated sexual assault, spousal rape and what not. Seriously. people in this society need to get real.

Filed: Timeline

Let me ask you to ask your friend this. If she was in her own country, what she'd do?

Next, if she is offended by this hitting or brushing or w/e she wants to call it, she needs to simply reconsider marriage options herself and take actions to uphold her own self esteem.

Last but, not the least, if "a brush on the head" is now becoming an issue to invoke VAWA provisions, husband tickling his wife or vice a versa can possibly be construed as aggravated second degree assault next. God forbid if tickling happened in the nether regions... aggravated sexual assault, spousal rape and what not. Seriously. people in this society need to get real.

Ditto

I would have my sister do some sight-seeing & shipping with the kid consider it a vacation & leave before

the 90 days is over......Less than a month and the vawa plan looming? I say if a man does that in

front of your child go home, and a brush is not a vawa argument in 3 wks with no marriage

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Pack and go home if that happened why would she want to stay. Go back and keep with the life she had

y59om4.png

---------------------------------- Pre I-130 ----------------------------------------

Feb- 25- 2009 - Met in Barcelona Spain thanks to a friend in common ???

11 visits in the next 5 years........ ????????????

Apr - 23 - 2014 - My last entry in the US to visit ✈️

Jul - 18 - 2014 - finally proposes and ask me to stay forever!!!! ❤️??

Jul- 20 - 2014 - I don't get in the flight back to Spain ( that means my ESTA will expire the next day )

Jul - 22 - 2014 - wedding ❤️??

---------------------------I-130, I-485, EAD, AP ----------------------------------

Sep- 12- 2014 - AOS sent to Chicago ?? ( delivered sept 15 )

Sep - 18 - 2014 - AOS texts/ emails received with case number ??

Sep- 19 - 2014 - checks cashed ?

Sep - 21 - 2014- hard copies of NOA received in the mail!!! ??

Sep - 26 - 2014- biometrics letter received!! Appointment for Oct 7

Sep - 30 - 2014 - succesful early walk in biometrics ??

Nov - 22 - 2014 - EAD/AP approved ?? ( 71 days )

Nov - 24 - 2014 - card in production

Dec - 1 - 2014 - card mailed ??

Dec - 3 - 2014 - Combo card received ??

Dec - 15 - 2014 - email received with interview date for Jan 15 2015! ??

Jan - 15 - 2015 - Approved!! ???? Here is our interview experience --> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/531853-aos-interview-from-esta-approved/

Jan - 24 - 2015 - Green card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

She needs to determine if she wants things to work out or not.

If she does, then they need to get in relationship counseling, ASAP, and she needs to see a therapist to deal with cultural differences and determine whether or not the behavior towards her from her significant other is abusive or her overreacting.

If she does not, then she needs to pack her and her child's bags and leave.

There is no VAWA, and trying to take advantage of it is sad. The US is not some golden land, I've been all over the world... it's just as ugly, and cutthroat here as it is anywhere else. In some ways, it's much worse. If she's concerned for her child's future, she should look into private education.

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

It seems she has a child with him, and in order to take the child to live abroad she will need her husband consent now, if he refuses to consent then she can apply to the Court to seek permission to take the child to live in her home Country

Unfortunately Philippines is not on the list of Countries to have "Child Support Enforcement Outside The United States",therefore she has to count on him to be a "man" and help her financially to raise their child in Philippines.

Without getting married she won't get a GC, but getting married to an abuser knowing he is an abuser is stupidity,to say the least.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I assumed the child is not his. Why would it be K2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Unsure of options

K-1 and her K-2 arrived here Sept 11th. Marriage was supposed to be in Oc.t They are arguing a lot, and her fiancé has postponed the wedding.

Today he slapped her.

What happens to her and her K-2 if they don't get married or secondly, what

happens if she came here in good faith and he has slapped her?

He didn't hit her hard, just a brush on the head. He said she was gossiping about him tofriends.

Unsure of options

Postponing wedding a sure indication things are not going well.

Today he slapped her.

Not a good thing and a sign it can get worse, even if it is small, hard or light slapped, no man should slap a women. I am so sorry :-(

What happens to her and her K-2 if they don't get married or secondly, no marriage, no adjustment and they both have to return to their home country.

what happens if she came here in good faith and he has slapped her? although they are not married if there is abuse she can call the police, but I believe the only thing

that can happen to him is stop the abuse on her and he could go to jail for domestic violence etc but it will not resolve the immigration status of the K1 and K2.

Domestic violence is domestic violence.

I believe he can be reported to the police for domestic violence. My best advise to someone who encounters this sort of situations, leaving the immigration status aside,

is to get out of the abusive relationship, period. It seems that if this continues is a recipe for a disastrous relationship. No reason for anyone to be hitting each other male

or female in my opinion. Domestic violence is the same for man or woman so if he is hitting her and this is just the first time, what can happen next? It has not passed even

a month since they entered the country and there is already violence in the relationship, not a good sign, and he already postponed the wedding, not a good sing either.

Very sad situation :-(

Edited by cocolucho

*The material presented is intended for general information only and does not constitute legal advice*

USCIS - IR1/CR1 Wife/IR2 Daughter - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

12/03/2013 -- I-130s Sent, 12/06/2013 -- I-130s Received                                           12/13/2013 -- I-129F Sent, 12/16/2013 -- I-129F Received           

12/10/2013 -- I-130s NOA1 Hard copies received from VSC                                         12/20/2013 -- I-129F NOA1 Hard copy from VSC           

06/05/2014 -- I-130s Alien Registration Numbers Changed                                           02/12/2014 -- I-129F Transferred from VSC to TSC hard copy                                       

06/09/2014 -- I-130s RFE Emails, 06/12/2014 -- I-130s RFE Hard copies received       02/25/2014 -- I-129F Alien Registration Number Changed

06/16/2014 -- I-130s RFE Response received                                                              07/11/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 email (207 days)

09/25/2014 -- I-130 NOA2 Emails 290 days                                                                 07/16/2014 -- I-129F NOA2 Hard copy received and sent to NVC        

NVC - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

07-29-2014 -- NVC received I129F                                                                           

07-31-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

08-01-2014 -- Left NVC in route to Embassy in Lima

Embassy - K3 Wife/K4 Daughter

08-07-2014 -- Embassy in Lima received case from NVC                                        

08-07-2014 -- Received email interview letter and packet IV

08-18-2014 -- Completed DS-160 online                                                                 

08-21-2014 -- Medical & Vaccination completed

09-03-2014 -- Interview (Approved)                                                                        

09-05-2014 -- Visa Issued (CEAC website)

09-10-2014 -- Visa in hand                                                                                      

09-18-2014 -- Dulles VA

USCIS - AOS Wife/Daughter

12/10/2014 -- I-485 Sent - including I-765                                                            

12/11/2014 -- I-485 Received

12/16/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Received email                                             

12/20/2014 -- I-485 and I-765 NOA Hard copies received

01/09/2015 -- I-485 and I-765 Biometrics appointment                                       

01/14/2015 -- I-485 Ready for interview

02/02/2015 -- I-485 Interview notification received                                             

02/14/2015 -- I-765 Approved - EAD card production email and text

02/24/2015 -- I-765 EAD card received                                                              

03/12/2015 -- I-485 Interview Date (APPROVED)

03/17/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Welcome letters received                                               

03/21/2015 -- CR6/CR7 Green Cards received :dance:

USCIS - ROC Wife/Daughter

01/12/2017 -- I-751 Sent

01/17/2017 -- I-751 NOA Received for wife and daughter

02/23/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Biometrics Appointment for wife and daughter

12/26/2017 -- I-751 / CRI89 Approved for wife and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you all. Your answers are pretty much what I have already told them

They have decided to get counseling.

I think she believes the movies that life here is a cakewalk and without problems.

Thanks again. I think I have enough info to give them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.