Immigranteducator

Writing your local representative

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

That is the issue exactly. Since we don't know exactly when he'll get the interview, if he breaks his ties in Canada it leaves us open for all kinds of problems. The first few times he came to visit they questioned him for hours at the border and he always had to provide proof of employment and residence. Now they usually let him by because he tells them that he is only coming for a week visit and that he still has his job. I doubt they'd take too kindly to him saying he's coming for 6 months to wait out the visa process.

Okay all I see you mention is you submitted DS-260.

1. What of your AOS (affidavit of Support) fee and package sent?

2. When did you file your DS-261

3. IV fee and package sent

You say you didn't know you could call NVC. They do have your email addresses correct?

Have you got a checklist for anything?

Call your Representative for what? I understand its taking along time a Representative can't fix a backlog. And they can't speed it up.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Well it's a 14 hour drive and he has to keep a job up there to support himself and help us. So we've seen him a total of about 30 days in 7 months. You're children are only babies once. It is precious time lost. I really think only parents separated from their kids can understand that grief...hell I can't really even wrap my brain around it since it's not me.

I didn't know about calling the NVC though. Thank you!

My husband lived an 18 hour drive, or 3 hour plane ride, I supported myself and my daughter, and still saw my husband every 3 months for about 10 days at a time. My daughter decided to stay in Canada with her father so I know more than most what it feels like to be parted from your most valuable family members.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay all I see you mention is you submitted DS-260.

1. What of your AOS (affidavit of Support) fee and package sent?

2. When did you file your DS-261

3. IV fee and package sent

You say you didn't know you could call NVC. They do have your email addresses correct?

Have you got a checklist for anything?

Call your Representative for what? I understand its taking along time a Representative can't fix a backlog. And they can't speed it up.

Well we're going through a lawyer so we're a little blind to the entire process, which I'll admit is not in our favor. We did not use a lawyer when we immigrated in Canada, but the process was a million times clearer than it is here. I'm usually a DIY person and I am typically good at researching things to figure them out on my own, but it wasn't something I could handle 9 months pregnant and then with a toddler and newborn. We just wanted it to be done as quickly as possible with no hangups. We used this lawyer the first time we immigrated and they were great. The problem is that I'm not super familiar with the ins and outs of it now.

I do know that I already completed the AOS and payed the fee, so I'm assuming that our lawyer sent that along as well.

What is the DS-261?

What is the IV fee and package? Is this all of the documents (birth certificates, marriage license, etc?) If so we did give all of that to the lawyer as well, so hopefully that was done. Also, our lawyer said there should be no other fees unless there is one that is specific to the Montreal consulate.

I guess just call the representative to give testimonial about the negative consequences of requiring parents to wait for the green card out of the country for such a long time.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I wouldn't bother calling. Write a letter if you want a complaint to be noted by your representative, but you're still within the accepted time limits that they say these things will take, so there's really nothing they're going to do. (And while it was fast for you the first time, for many, it's not. They list estimated times for a reason.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well we're going through a lawyer so we're a little blind to the entire process, which I'll admit is not in our favor. We did not use a lawyer when we immigrated in Canada, but the process was a million times clearer than it is here. I'm usually a DIY person and I am typically good at researching things to figure them out on my own, but it wasn't something I could handle 9 months pregnant and then with a toddler and newborn. We just wanted it to be done as quickly as possible with no hangups. We used this lawyer the first time we immigrated and they were great. The problem is that I'm not super familiar with the ins and outs of it now.

I do know that I already completed the AOS and payed the fee, so I'm assuming that our lawyer sent that along as well.

What is the DS-261?

What is the IV fee and package? Is this all of the documents (birth certificates, marriage license, etc?) If so we did give all of that to the lawyer as well, so hopefully that was done. Also, our lawyer said there should be no other fees unless there is one that is specific to the Montreal consulate.

I guess just call the representative to give testimonial about the negative consequences of requiring parents to wait for the green card out of the country for such a long time.

WOW so you have no idea what your lawyer has done when or what? That is hardly a representatives issue.

First you need to be on the phone tomorrow and asking your lawyer exactly what has been submitted what is it you are waiting for.

i would assume since you say you know nothing about the process your lawyer has totally left you out the loop so you get no email notices correct? So then you would have no idea if there is an error(checklist) or not.

You didn't mention lawyer before so DS-261 doesn't apply to you.

IV package yes that is your documents.

So then you haven't logged in at all to the portal to see what has been going on?

Do you have your case#? Why not call NVC tomorrow and ask for yourself.

Until your AOS and IV packages and DS-260 have been reviewed then accepted by NVC you will not get Case Complete then be put in interview queue.

You need to call somebody tomorrow soonest. You need to be a bit more proactive.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

At least with a lawyer you may be done faster than if you did it yourself. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Find your congress representative from your state. And also your senate representative.

You can do this by checking your states website. Then research the persons name - on the internet and you will have a tool on their site to contact them.

I know you have kids together... And time is time. But honestly you're right on the time frame now.

Still write to the representative... It doesn't hurt. I wrote to mine in Texas and he helped me right away.

Has anyone ever written their local representative to bring attention to their case?

Who did you write to, and what was the result?

My husband has been waiting in Canada since February. My petition has been approved and we sent the DS260 August 7th. (We will be dealing with the Montreal consulate). We have zero indication on how long it will be until he can live with us again.

We have a four year old and just had a baby in April, who he has barely seen in the five months she's been alive. My kids need their father above all. This is ######, and it seems like no one knows about it. Every time I mention the situation to anyone, they are astonished of how long it is taking, let alone that he is not allowed to be here with us. Even if it doesn't speed up the process I think the testimonial would be of some value, right?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

we are processing our CR1 Visa. My USC wife and family were also planning to get letters from local congressman to expedite the case.

But as we are consulting immigration Lawyer, our lawyer said its not advisable to get them pushing in initial stage (that's where we are right now) but if the case gets stuck at NVC, then the letter from these congressman will help to expedite. And also having a copy of those letter can be great for visa interview.

Good luck

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Has anyone ever written their local representative to bring attention to their case?

Who did you write to, and what was the result?

My husband has been waiting in Canada since February. My petition has been approved and we sent the DS260 August 7th. (We will be dealing with the Montreal consulate). We have zero indication on how long it will be until he can live with us again.

We have a four year old and just had a baby in April, who he has barely seen in the five months she's been alive. My kids need their father above all. This is ######, and it seems like no one knows about it. Every time I mention the situation to anyone, they are astonished of how long it is taking, let alone that he is not allowed to be here with us. Even if it doesn't speed up the process I think the testimonial would be of some value, right?

We wrote to our local rep (Ohio) and it was a complete waste of time - only received back a standard reply that USCIS/DOS immigration procedures were beyond their remit and they couldn't wouldn't get involved.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

we are processing our CR1 Visa. My USC wife and family were also planning to get letters from local congressman to expedite the case.

But as we are consulting immigration Lawyer, our lawyer said its not advisable to get them pushing in initial stage (that's where we are right now) but if the case gets stuck at NVC, then the letter from these congressman will help to expedite. And also having a copy of those letter can be great for visa interview.

Good luck

Expedites don't carry over from one phase to the next so the lawyer who said "it's not advisable" doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Such letters will not have any effect on the outcome of a visa interview.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

What is the DS-261?

if attorney was attached with the I-130, a G-28 filed,

then

there is no DS-261

and

the IV and AOS fee bills were generated the same day,

so

I suggest to you to talk with attorney again, ask for dates of invoicing on both things,

and compare the dates.

If they are equal, (as they should be, it's the only benefit of having filed the G-28)

then the attorney has stalled you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.