WickedGriffin

How do you cope with moving to the US?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

United States is the best country in the whole world. You will love it.

I enjoy your humor.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm facing the same jitters right now. I'm leaving in twelve days, and leaving behind my father and sister, my extended family, my beloved pets (three cats) and all of my friends. I don't care so much about the job, or the environment, or anything like that, but losing that support system makes me anxious. The truth is though...no matter the distance, you never lose that support system. The people you love will love you all the same whether you're here, or there, or anywhere else. With skype and phones and letters, there is ALWAYS a way to stay in touch. It takes a strong person to make such a huge move, but know that you're never alone. You won't lose these people -- and absence makes the heart grow fonder! :)

event.png

Stay busy. Throw yourself into things. Find clubs, meetings, people to see. Download the meetup app. Take a class, build a garden in your new home (if you are moving into an apartment then look for co-ops plots in your city/town). Look for other people in your situation and don't get bogged down by the change.

Make this move what you want it to be!

Good luck :)

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Hi all.

I am getting closer and closer to my final Visa Interview. And I am already anxious and nervous about moving to the USA. I am from Bavaria, Germany. Very traditional, from a small village. Ive got my life here, a job, house, ive got 2 horses and a horse paddock. Ive got a nice garden. And I am giving that all up to be with the woman I love who lives in Phoenix Arizona. Sure I know I love her and she loves me.

Sure I know I want to be with her. Sure I think life in America offers much. But it is the act of relocation, the final weeks before leaving, leaving everything behind, while moving into the big unknown... the southwestern Desert is of course like a different planet for a southern bavarian like me. I leave my family, the environment, the austrian Alps where I go hiking and fishing a lot, etc.

Its hard. I feel Anxiety. I am nervous. I feel this pressure on my shoulders. How do you cope with that, how did you cope with that? What kind of advice can you possibly give?

Thanks all.

I can understand what you are going through, and yes, Arizona will be a big change. My best advice is to take the opportunity to learn about the desert. You will see magnificent sunsets, unusual wildlife, and beautiful rocks. Later when you move to Wisconsin you can reflect back on your desert life as a unique experience. I lived in the desert for 8 years and it remains one of the best times of my life. Wisconsin is beautiful. That is something you can look forward to. Stay close to your family with skype or whatever you choose, and give yourself time to adjust. It's normal to miss what you leave behind. You can still embrace your new life, you can do both, it's normal. My husband has been in the USA about a year and a half now. We both miss certain things about his country, and we both know certain things are better there and other things are better here. He chose to live here, he is happy here. Best of luck with your move and your new life! Welcome to America.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

just wondering why your fiancée did not move to Germany?

8-16-13 Married

9-16-13 I-130 Mailed

9-20-13 NOA1

3-04-14 Transferred to CSC

3-12-14 NOA2

3-26-14 Received NVC

5-3-14 Received DS-261/AOS bill

5-3-14 Paid AOS bill

5-3-14 Submitted DS-261

5-8-14 Mailed AOS Package

5-8-14 Received IV bill

5-8-14 Paid IV bill

5-9-14 UPS documents to NVC

5-10-14 Sent DS 260

6-12-14 Case complete

9-8-14 interview---- approved

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

There are some great German bakeries and restaurants in Phoenix... it's easy to find German products and everything! I studied abroad in Germany and when I came back I went to all those places and it was really nice, they'll speak to you in German :)

Oh and don't get overwhelmed by the heat in AZ, it will pass.

Best of luck!

I miss my friends a lot and can't wait until we move closer to Canada, and the healthcare system here is absolutely appalling. I moved from a big progressive city, very LGBT friendly, to a small town in Alabama. A bit of a culture shock to say the least. The US is only a temporary solution as my wife and I would both prefer to live in Canada. She loves it there more than I do, really.

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

I lived in Germany for 5 years, both as military and as a civilian, and it was hard for me to come back to the USA. I came back because my parents live here and I didnt want to live the rest of my life so far away from them.

So I sacrificed life in Germany to be back home with family at that time, and I am an American. Now, if I had to leave to be with the love of my life, then you can be sure I would be even more ready to do that as well. I think it comes down to making a decision of what is the most important thing to you. Then you have to look at everything else as immaterial in comparison.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi all.

I am getting closer and closer to my final Visa Interview. And I am already anxious and nervous about moving to the USA. I am from Bavaria, Germany. Very traditional, from a small village. Ive got my life here, a job, house, ive got 2 horses and a horse paddock. Ive got a nice garden. And I am giving that all up to be with the woman I love who lives in Phoenix Arizona. Sure I know I love her and she loves me.

Sure I know I want to be with her. Sure I think life in America offers much. But it is the act of relocation, the final weeks before leaving, leaving everything behind, while moving into the big unknown... the southwestern Desert is of course like a different planet for a southern bavarian like me. I leave my family, the environment, the austrian Alps where I go hiking and fishing a lot, etc.

Its hard. I feel Anxiety. I am nervous. I feel this pressure on my shoulders. How do you cope with that, how did you cope with that? What kind of advice can you possibly give?

Thanks all.

I think I would be having very similar thoughts if I were the one moving to another country!

But don't worry. Arizona has mountains (you can see a mountain from any spot anywhere in Arizona). And they have cold weather in the north! And plenty of outdoor activities - including lots of hiking, lots of horseback riding, but not so much fishing. But you'll be relatively near the Rocky Mountains of the western United States, which are stunning like the Alps. And plenty of skiing not too far away too!

Just pretend you're going on a two-week vacation to Spain... and then you stay a little longer!

Edited by Jon York

event.png

event.png

event.png

I Am The Petitioner

Service Center: Texas Service Center

Transferred? WE WISH!

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

I-129F Sent : 12/07/2013

I-129F NOA1 : 12/16/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 12/24/2013

Wait... wait... wait... wait...

Asked Congressman to send service request to USCIS: 7/1/2014

USCIS received Congressman's inquiry: 7/3/2014

Notification via USCIS Website of NOA2 - Approved: 7/5/2014

NOA2: 6/25/2014 - We found out later it had been approved (but not posted) before congressional inquiry received.

Shipped to Embassy: 7/17/2014

Received by Embassy: 7/21/2014 - Status: READY

Packet 3.5: 7/24/2014

Packet 3.5 Sent: 8/7/2014 (We had delays because of civil unrest in Pakistan)

Embassy Receive: 8/21/2014 (Again delays due to civil unrest)

Receive Appointment Letter/Interview Date: 8/27/2014 (interview date in just 9 days)!

Medical Exam: 8/29/2014 (Yikes! The whole thing has now been postponed for 2 months for TB testing)

Interview Date: Originally 9/5/2014 - Now Postponed for at least two months

TB Test Results: 10/15/2014 - came back 18 days early! And she's negative!

Interview Rescheduled 10/17/2014: (embassy moving at lightning speed)!

New Interview Date: 10/29/2014 APPROVED!!!

CEAC Updates to AP: 11/13/2014

CEAC Updates to ISSUED!! 11/14/2014

Visa In-Hand: 11/24/2014

Arrival in USA: 11/27/2014 -- 11 MONTHS, 1 WEEK, 4 DAYS AFTER NOA1

MARRIED: 11/30/2014 !!!

[/center]

THE END!

Finally- my tip for when you do move to the USA, don't focus on how things are different. Don't compare. Instead, try to find one thing every day that you like about your new home. Maybe it's a small coffee shop that happens to make really good scones, maybe one day it's a beautiful sunset, maybe a butterfly flew by your window. Whatever it is, no matter how small, focus on the positive.

Best wishes!

I saw what lucybelle said in her last paragraph, and I thought that was wonderful advice too. My wife from the Philippines was always comparing things in the USA to her home, usually more negative about the USA and so much more wonderful back home. And she pretty much mourned the loss of her career in moving here. It was her dream job, the one she set her sights on from a young age, and she finally got that right after we got married (in the Philippines). So she was only able to do that for a year before coming here. She was a principal of an elementary school at the age of 34 there, and very good at it too. It was very hard for her giving everything up. She had a pretty good life there, and she had to start over when she came here.

She still brings up from time to time what she "gave up" back in the Philippines. But she has found a new career field to her liking, and is working on becoming a nurse. That is her big focus now. And in time the rose colored glasses came off and she was able to see that not all the things she thought were so great about her former home were necessarily better than here in the USA. And she focused on the here and now, not the past. And she wrote down a poem and put it on the refrigerator door, something to the effect of when life is over, nothing will have mattered that much in life other than the love of family. I would post that poem here too, but I am not home right now.

When I was away from home in the military I would immerse myself in the culture and try to experience it to the fullest. But it wasnt real joy because I lacked someone most special to share it with. Think to yourself how it is not just this huge new world you are stepping into, alone, but it is a huge new world that you will get the chance to savor together with your best friend and love of your life.

Filed: Country: Latvia
Timeline

I enjoy your humor.

'Murica

04/14/12 - First date in the U.S.

02/26/13 - Married

06/3/13 - Petition Filed (had been unsuccessfully trying to move to Europe)

06/6/13 - NOA1 (National Benefits Center)

12/19/13 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

03/3/14 - I130 Approved

03/18/14 - NVC Received file from USCIS

04/28/14 - Received/Paid AOS Bill

05/01/14 - Received/Paid IV Bill

05/14/14 - Sent AOS Package

05/30/14 - Sent IV Package

06/05/14 - Submitted DS-260

06/19/14 - Received checklist for AOS, resubmitted required corrections

08/09/14 - Case completed at NVC

08/14/14 - Received Interview Date

09/08/14 - Interview date - Approved!

09/11/14 - Raced into town, threw car into a parking spot, and ran down city streets to get to the courier company 2 minutes before the close to get passport back

10/10/14 - POE Entry

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

The nice thing about moving to the US is the variety of geography. I tell my fiancé this a lot! My hometown gets a ridiculous amount of snow and my fiancé comes from Mumbai and has never seen any. That will be a big adjustment for him, but I always tell him that there has to be some state that he'd like even if he despises New York. He's coming all this way to be with me, I have no trouble relocating for him to be more comfortable! It sounds like your fiancée is willing to make a move for you, too.

Before you come, learn to cook your favorite dish. Tasting food from home is extremely comforting! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

What kind of advice can you possibly give?

Skype! Or Facetime. Or whatever. Once you've moved, try to talk to your family and friends as often as you can. That's what I miss the most; my family and friends.

Marriage : June 30, 2011

I-130 Sent : November 26, 2011

I-130 NOA1 : December 2, 2011

I-130 Approved : May 2, 2012

NVC Received : May 14, 2012

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : June 1, 2012

Pay I-864 Bill : June 5, 2012

Return Completed DS-3032 : June 1, 2012

Pay IV Bill : June 7, 2012

Case Completed at NVC : July 2, 2012

Interview Date : September 28, 2012

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : October 3, 2012

US Entry : December 23, 2012

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 152 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 301 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

- - - - -

Swedish-American Midsummer

My wedding day - the best day of my life

Mr. Borkström @ Wordpress.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.