3,165 posts in this topic

Hello friends

I have an F2b petition with priority date of apr 2012 India.
I am wondering about the entire process.
When will the NVC contact me to start the process? Does that depend on the "Final Action Dates" or "Dates for filing" chart in the visa bulletin? Will they contact me or my father? Through email? Or mail?

Appreciate your help.
Thank you.

46 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Hi guys,

My priority date is november 25 2011, india.
when can i expect the welcome letter from nvc ?

Thank you.

We don't know when will NVC sends welcome letter, so what you can do now is waiting and making sure that NVC has your email address.

As they begin processing F2B cases which have PD before Jan 8th 2012, you should write an email to ask them what is your invoice number.

Use this form https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php. Fill in all the information and check the box "Please update my NVC file with this email address" (so they can add your email address into their database), and then write your request in the box to ask them about your invoice number.

After 3 weeks, they will reply. You can use your case number and invoice number to check your case status (DS-261) in this website everyday https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

When your case is processed, your DS-261 will be available for filling and submitting. At the meantime, they will send Welcome letter to your email inbox.

P/S: Sometimes, they deny to provide your invoice number. Don't worry, you will get it when you receive Welcome letter. The important thing is making sure NVC updated your latest email address, so you will not miss any announcement from them.

Edited by Triple28

16 minutes ago, Triple28 said:

If anyone wants to request a F2B retention (from F1), you can write a letter to NVC using this electric form: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/ask-nvc.html. Fill in all the information, write a request for F2B retention, attach your scan of certificate of naturalization and approval letter (and a signed request letter if possible).

After 3 weeks, they will change your case to F2B. However, they will note that the DHS or Consular will decide if your case is valid for F2B (which mean you will have to sign an agreement for F2B retention in the interview). 

You should keep all the letters which were being sent by USCIS and NVC. Sometimes, they will ask your approval letter and certificate of naturalization, to prove that your case was approved before you got naturalization (F2B upgraded to F1).

If your case was approved after you got naturalization, which mean you are F1 from the beginning, so you will not have a chance to go to F2B.

Remember, you cannot go back to F1 after you request a F2B retention, so you should wait and check F1 and F2B cut off date, to see which one will pass your PD sooner. 

In 2017, F1 moved faster than F2B 6 months, then it was retrogressed.

In 2018, F2B moved faster than F1 3 months until now.

As you can see, their processing time is changing rapidly so you cannot predict them too soon.

Sorry. My previous post is wrong in one sentence. I cannot edit it so I hightlighted the corrected one above.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Incorrect initial post removed at poster's request; corrected one (just above) remains.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Triple28 said:

We don't know when will NVC sends welcome letter, so what you can do now is waiting and making sure that NVC has your email address.

As they begin processing F2B cases which have PD before Jan 8th 2012, you should write an email to ask them what is your invoice number.

Use this form https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php. Fill in all the information and check the box "Please update my NVC file with this email address" (so they can add your email address into their database), and then write your request in the box to ask them about your invoice number.

After 3 weeks, they will reply. You can use your case number and invoice number to check your case status (DS-261) in this website everyday https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

When your case is processed, your DS-261 will be available for filling and submitting. At the meantime, they will send Welcome letter to your email inbox.

P/S: Sometimes, they deny to provide your invoice number. Don't worry, you will get it when you receive Welcome letter. The important thing is making sure NVC updated your latest email address, so you will not miss any announcement from them.

Thank you for your reply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.