palu

Finally am forced to admit being scammed

249 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

"Our laws" also work in other ways, like many states making it illegal to record someone without their knowledge. Folks shouldn't give advice like this without knowing the very specific details of where someone lives and what the laws in that particular state are. <_<

Apparently you think your job here is to tell others what is legal or not. I never told him 100% he could do anything. I also stated its different in each state, so go stir your pot somewhere else . We all come here to try and help people , not to attack and tell other people what they should or shouldn't say here or no one would use this site. Its his call whether or not he takes anyone's advice here!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Actually, I think anyone who sees people advocating members do illegal things should speak up, since the general running rule seems to be "don't tell people to do illegal things." People suggesting mail fraud and potentially illegal recordings are giving not only bad advice but advocating criminal activity.

Timeline

Actually, I think anyone who sees people advocating members do illegal things should speak up, since the general running rule seems to be "don't tell people to do illegal things." People suggesting mail fraud and potentially illegal recordings are giving not only bad advice but advocating criminal activity.

Stop being so dramatic. You've spoken up , thanks for protecting us from the life of crime.

I have never heard of anyone recording someone being illegal, and I'm sure that is only if being used for criminal cases in court, not in immigration. Donald Sterling is a good example of recording someone without their knowledge, depends on the state as I said in my original post. Stop being so dramatic. You are just looking for an argument.

To the OP, I hope you find a "legal" way out of this. Hopefully nothing I have stated to you causes you to run out and do illegal activities that will land you in jail. I'm sorry that you are finding yourself in this sad situation and I only mentioned the annulment for physical reasons to help you get out of your situation legally and swiftly. Seems your lawyer is on the right path to try for annulment on these grounds as well.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have never heard of anyone recording someone being illegal, and I'm sure that is only if being used for criminal cases in court, not in immigration.

:no: "I didn't know it was illegal" isn't actually a defense. But sure, you've never heard of it, clearly it's okay to advi-oh.

When must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place; (3) Massachusetts bans "secret" recordings rather than requiring explicit consent from all parties.).

Of course, that's a general overview of state law, not federal law. I don't particularly know if immigration issues will automatically become federal issues, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the case study for that.

Timeline

:no: "I didn't know it was illegal" isn't actually a defense. But sure, you've never heard of it, clearly it's okay to advi-oh.

When must you get permission from everyone involved before recording?

Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. (Notes: (1) Illinois' two-party consent statute was held unconstitutional in 2014; (2) Hawai'i is in general a one-party state, but requires two-party consent if the recording device is installed in a private place; (3) Massachusetts bans "secret" recordings rather than requiring explicit consent from all parties.).

Of course, that's a general overview of state law, not federal law. I don't particularly know if immigration issues will automatically become federal issues, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the case study for that.

I can clearly advise anyone to do anything at any time. It's anyone's choice in life to make a choice to do or not anything anyone advises them. You are advising me not to advise, why should I listen to you??? Thanks for your wealth of knowledge that no one except yourself is interested in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Stop the bickering, please; the points have been made. Concentrate on the OP's current situation.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I left the house telling her she had a decision to make.

You never should put the decision in her court, you are the man in the relationship, You need to make the decisions.

You have now transferred the balance of power into her court, Game Over..........

I hope the problem will soon be over. She has agreed to sign the annulment in my lawyer's office the middle of next week. Of course I had to sweeten the pot ($), not a huge amount but worth it to get rid of her. In the agreement is a clause that states that neither parties emotionally abused the other. I believe I might have mentioned that her new filipina friends gave her a course in immigration law. After she signs the lawyer will hand her a plane ticket for the next morning. As my lawyer has told me, he will tell her that will be the only ticket she will receive. By the annulment will state that she committed fraud.

Her only concern now is what is she going to tell her parents.....maybe the truth? NO!! Can't do that! She will think of some lie and her parents being her parents will accept it.

I do worry that some other poor westerner with a shix eating grin on his face will be her next victim as I believe a annulment in the Philippines will erase the record of her being married. I guess in the end it is a case of you throw the dice and take your chances.

Thanks to everyone and may your journey be a happy one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good luck for 6 nights - where are you sleeping?

He's got the money for a lawyer, pot sweetener, and a plan ticket on the fly, I imagine some cash for a hotel for a week probably isn't beyond him.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well then he can start dreaming of HIS next adventure (instead of "I do worry that some other poor westerner with a shix eating grin on his face will be her next victim"). Any problem for him to become a USCIS sponsor again, after this flop?

No major problem, just a few extra questions answered.

Hopefully he orders a properly working one next time.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As it is such a big business for PI, you would have thought they would step in and provide some sort of 'warranty'.

This tarnishes their product.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.